Machines take me by surprise with great frequency. -- Alan Turing

tech / sci.lang / Sentence-ending particles in English

SubjectAuthor
* Sentence-ending particles in EnglishStefan Ram
+* Re: Sentence-ending particles in EnglishAidan Kehoe
|`- Re: Sentence-ending particles in EnglishHenHanna
+- Re: Sentence-ending particles in EnglishRoss Clark
`- Re: Sentence-ending particles in EnglishStefan Ram

1
Sentence-ending particles in English

<particles-20240414172532@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18971&group=sci.lang#18971

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Sentence-ending particles in English
Date: 14 Apr 2024 16:27:16 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:27 UTC

When we're chattin' it up in Japanese, we tend to tack on all
these little particles to our sentences, am I right?

Seems like the Brits have got a similar thing goin' on in English.
I hear the kiddos over there sometimes talk like this:

|Oh my gooood - uh

|Whyyyy - yuh

|Why did you do thaaat - uh

|What the heeeell - uh

|Stop iiiit - uh

|Pleeeease - uh

|Omg shut uuuup - uh

|Give it baaack - uh

|But I need it though - wuh

(list comes straight outta the
World Wide Web, the good ol' WWW.)

Word on the street is that some of the young ladies - not
children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in
English. Seems like it's a relatively fresh phenomenon, might
even be takin' root stateside, at least in certain pockets.

Re: Sentence-ending particles in English

<87seznohe4.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18973&group=sci.lang#18973

From: kehoea@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Sentence-ending particles in English
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:48:03 +0100
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh Stefan Ram:

> When we're chattin' it up in Japanese, we tend to tack on all
> these little particles to our sentences, am I right?
>
> Seems like the Brits have got a similar thing goin' on in English.
> I hear the kiddos over there sometimes talk like this:
>
> |Oh my gooood - uh
>
> |Whyyyy - yuh
>
> |Why did you do thaaat - uh
>
> |What the heeeell - uh
>
> |Stop iiiit - uh
>
> |Pleeeease - uh
>
> |Omg shut uuuup - uh
>
> |Give it baaack - uh
>
> |But I need it though - wuh
>
> (list comes straight outta the
> World Wide Web, the good ol' WWW.)
>
> Word on the street is that some of the young ladies - not
> children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
> tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in
> English. Seems like it's a relatively fresh phenomenon, might
> even be takin' root stateside, at least in certain pockets.

I fear you are not working as hard as previously to disguise your origins as a
working class East Coast Estadounidense, born about 1930, Stefan!

I haven’t encountered the listed phenomenon, but most of my encounters with
(geographical) Britons under about 30 are doctors working in Northern Ireland.
I can say that they don’t produce these sentences in my presence, but also that
they are likely not a representative sample of the British population.

(I wouldn’t expect the political (as opposed to the geographic) Britons in
Northern Ireland to have much enthusiasm for this sort of fad, and I haven’t
encountered it from them either.)

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: Sentence-ending particles in English

<527fd8b16162753b9a0d3daeb33d45c2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18975&group=sci.lang#18975

From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:15:55 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:15 UTC

Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh Stefan Ram:

> > When we're chattin' it up in Japanese, we tend to tack on all
> > these little particles to our sentences, am I right?
> >
> > Seems like the Brits have got a similar thing goin' on in English.
> > I hear the kiddos over there sometimes talk like this:
> >
> > |Oh my gooood - uh
> >
> > |Whyyyy - yuh
> >
> > |Why did you do thaaat - uh
> >
> > |What the heeeell - uh
> >
> > |Stop iiiit - uh
> >
> > |Pleeeease - uh
> >
> > |Omg shut uuuup - uh
> >
> > |Give it baaack - uh
> >
> > |But I need it though - wuh
> >
> > (list comes straight outta the
> > World Wide Web, the good ol' WWW.)
> >
> > Word on the street is that some of the young ladies - not
> > children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
> > tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in
> > English. Seems like it's a relatively fresh phenomenon, might
> > even be takin' root stateside, at least in certain pockets.

> I fear you are not working as hard as previously to disguise your origins as a
> working class East Coast Estadounidense, born about 1930, Stefan!

really? i thought Stefan Ram was German -speaking?

i haven't noticed this fad (?) -- i'll look it up on Youtube.

Re: Sentence-ending particles in English

<uvhqqa$3t5go$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=18977&group=sci.lang#18977

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:02:11 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:02 UTC

On 15/04/2024 4:27 a.m., Stefan Ram wrote:
> When we're chattin' it up in Japanese, we tend to tack on all
> these little particles to our sentences, am I right?
>
> Seems like the Brits have got a similar thing goin' on in English.
> I hear the kiddos over there sometimes talk like this:
>
> |Oh my gooood - uh
>
> |Whyyyy - yuh
>
> |Why did you do thaaat - uh
>
> |What the heeeell - uh
>
> |Stop iiiit - uh
>
> |Pleeeease - uh
>
> |Omg shut uuuup - uh
>
> |Give it baaack - uh
>
> |But I need it though - wuh
>
> (list comes straight outta the
> World Wide Web, the good ol' WWW.)
>
> Word on the street is that some of the young ladies - not
> children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
> tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in
> English. Seems like it's a relatively fresh phenomenon, might
> even be takin' root stateside, at least in certain pockets.

Stefan, your usual disdain for specifying the origin of things you post
about is even more maddening here. "World wide web" is not a source.
Neither is "word on the street". I suspect you're just another carrier
of "internet amnesia"...

Anyhow, I don't think I've heard any of the stuff above, but it does
remind me of recordings I've heard of some (American) hell-fire
preachers, who, when the heat is on, will say things like:

JESUS SAID - UH !!!
YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN - UH!!!
etc etc

I can't at the moment find a recorded example. It sounds to me like a
kind of metric marker, perhaps born from an emphatic release of the
final consonant.

Probably no connection with your "Brits" "kiddos".

Re: Sentence-ending particles in English

<aaah-20240423184539@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=19021&group=sci.lang#19021

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: 23 Apr 2024 17:46:43 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:46 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>|Oh my gooood - uh
.. . .
>children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
>tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in

Today, in the Web, I ran into something that might be related:

|For a while I was obsessed with the song "Dreadlock Holiday"
|by 10cc. The way he hit consonants so hard that they became
|vowels. Like, "I don't like cricket - aaah / I love it - aaah"
(quoted from the Web).