The most important early product on the way to developing a good product is an imperfect version.

tech / rec.autos.tech / Re: Fog on inside winshield

SubjectAuthor
* Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev
`* Fog on inside winshieldMichael Trew
 +* Fog on inside winshieldPaul in Houston TX
 |`* Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev
 | `* Fog on inside winshieldPaul in Houston TX
 |  +* Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev
 |  |`* Fog on inside winshieldVic Smith
 |  | `* Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev
 |  |  `- Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev
 |  `- Fog on inside winshieldMichael Trew
 `- Fog on inside winshieldThe Real Bev

1
Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tv5evu$2m31s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2065&group=rec.autos.tech#2065

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Fog on inside winshield
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:46:20 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:46 UTC

On 3/14/23 8:21 PM, AK wrote:
> On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 12:20:59 AM UTC-6, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>> AK wrote on 2/24/2023 12:44 AM:

>> > Thanks, I will get some acetone and try it.
>> >
>> > Andy
>> Acetone is very harsh on silicone and plastic. It will be very harsh on
>> your lungs too when you apply it to such a large area on the windshield
>> in a confined environment (inside your car).
>>
>> I suggest soap and water to clean the windshield.
>>
>> Defogger spray doesn't work well on windshields. It's too big for tiny
>> bottles of defogger.
>>
>> You should turn the heat on high to blast at the windshield. Turn on the
>> air conditioner too because it will remove moisture from incoming air,
>> and don't use the re-circulate button.
>>
>> After removing the foggy condition, remember to reduce the heat to the
>> windshield because overheating the windshield will dry up the
>> (anti-icing) windshield fluid too fast and create a white powdery
>> residue to obscure your vision.
> Soap and water is of no use.

The reflection off the INSIDE of the window (resembling clear
finger-paint patterns) from direct sunlight coupled with the fog from my
breath inside the window (22F outside when I went skiing yesterday, a
thing I would normally be really happy about) made the road invisible. I
grabbed a hand towel to clear the fog before the heater (which makes the
car too hot -- the dribble of warm air from the vents keeps me comfy
warm) blew the fog away. The sun is now an hour lower due to DST :-(

Today I have cleaned the windshield with the following in rapid succession:

Windex
Bargain general-purpose cleaner which does a fine job on other stuff.
70% alcohol with paper towels
Trader Joe general purpose cleaner (sage and something, it smells REALLY
good)
and a clean flour-sack dishtowel
25% Dawn in water
91% alcohol with toilet paper

The oil-like residue is still there. Now I'm wondering about spray
gunk. And possibly engine cleaner. I've got a LOT of spray engine
cleaner...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tv81sj$36esi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2067&group=rec.autos.tech#2067

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 18:21:07 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 22:21 UTC

On 3/18/2023 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
> Today I have cleaned the windshield with the following in rapid succession:
>
> Windex
> Bargain general-purpose cleaner which does a fine job on other stuff.
> 70% alcohol with paper towels
> Trader Joe general purpose cleaner (sage and something, it smells REALLY
> good)
> and a clean flour-sack dishtowel
> 25% Dawn in water
> 91% alcohol with toilet paper
>
> The oil-like residue is still there. Now I'm wondering about spray
> gunk. And possibly engine cleaner. I've got a LOT of spray engine
> cleaner...

Be very careful... that engine de-greaser might just eat up your
dashboard if a little bit goes into the wrong place.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tv8mik$3choq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2068&group=rec.autos.tech#2068

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 23:14:11 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 04:14 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> On 3/18/2023 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Today I have cleaned the windshield with the following in rapid
>> succession:
>>
>> Windex
>> Bargain general-purpose cleaner which does a fine job on other stuff.
>> 70% alcohol with paper towels
>> Trader Joe general purpose cleaner (sage and something, it smells REALLY
>> good)
>>       and a clean flour-sack dishtowel
>> 25% Dawn in water
>> 91% alcohol with toilet paper
>>
>> The oil-like residue is still there.  Now I'm wondering about spray
>> gunk.  And possibly engine cleaner.  I've got a LOT of spray engine
>> cleaner...
>
> Be very careful... that engine de-greaser might just eat up your
> dashboard if a little bit goes into the wrong place.

Agreed, and I would not want to touch the chemicals in Gunk.
Especially the 1,2,3,5-tetramethylbenzene.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tv8n6b$3cjsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=rec.autos.tech#2069

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:24:42 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 04:24 UTC

On 3/19/23 3:21 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 3/18/2023 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Today I have cleaned the windshield with the following in rapid succession:
>>
>> Windex
>> Bargain general-purpose cleaner which does a fine job on other stuff.
>> 70% alcohol with paper towels
>> Trader Joe general purpose cleaner (sage and something, it smells REALLY
>> good)
>> and a clean flour-sack dishtowel
>> 25% Dawn in water
>> 91% alcohol with toilet paper
>>
>> The oil-like residue is still there. Now I'm wondering about spray
>> gunk. And possibly engine cleaner. I've got a LOT of spray engine
>> cleaner...
>
> Be very careful... that engine de-greaser might just eat up your
> dashboard if a little bit goes into the wrong place.

That was a joke. Gunk is harmless and is REALLY great to clean your
hands, but engine cleaner is something else entirely!

Certified award-winning expert recommended Sprayway and microfiber
clothsm waffled if possible. As soon as there's enough sun to let me
see the problem I'll give it a shot.

--
Cheers, Bev
You're such a loser that if there was a contest for losers

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tv8nk2$3cmq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2070&group=rec.autos.tech#2070

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:32:00 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 04:32 UTC

On 3/19/23 9:14 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 3/18/2023 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Today I have cleaned the windshield with the following in rapid
>>> succession:
>>>
>>> Windex
>>> Bargain general-purpose cleaner which does a fine job on other stuff.
>>> 70% alcohol with paper towels
>>> Trader Joe general purpose cleaner (sage and something, it smells REALLY
>>> good)
>>>       and a clean flour-sack dishtowel
>>> 25% Dawn in water
>>> 91% alcohol with toilet paper
>>>
>>> The oil-like residue is still there.  Now I'm wondering about spray
>>> gunk.  And possibly engine cleaner.  I've got a LOT of spray engine
>>> cleaner...
>>
>> Be very careful... that engine de-greaser might just eat up your
>> dashboard if a little bit goes into the wrong place.
>
> Agreed, and I would not want to touch the chemicals in Gunk.
> Especially the 1,2,3,5-tetramethylbenzene.

There speaks someone who never actually worked on cars. We used to have
a 5-gallon can of Gunk into which we would dip greasy parts. You spray
or brush Gunk on, let it sit for a while and then hose it off. It turns
grease to soap. It's the same stuff as in mechanics' hand cleaner. I
have a gallon of it that smells like oranges and contains pumice for
extra hand-cleaning power. The cans of gel-like stuff make a satisfying
sproing sound/feel when you tap the can.

No idea what the 1....benzene stuff is, but Gunk gives you REALLY clean
hands.

Brake fluid can be used to remove nail polish. Just so you know.

--
Cheers, Bev
You're such a loser that if there was a contest for losers
you'd come in second.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tvaigu$3moip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2071&group=rec.autos.tech#2071

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:17:14 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 21:17 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 3/19/23 9:14 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Be very careful... that engine de-greaser might just eat up your
>>> dashboard if a little bit goes into the wrong place.
>>
>> Agreed, and I would not want to touch the chemicals in Gunk.
>> Especially the 1,2,3,5-tetramethylbenzene.
>
> There speaks someone who never actually worked on cars.  We used to have
> a 5-gallon can of Gunk into which we would dip greasy parts. You spray
> or brush Gunk on, let it sit for a while and then hose it off.  It turns
> grease to soap.  It's the same stuff as in mechanics' hand cleaner.  I
> have a gallon of it that smells like oranges and contains pumice for
> extra hand-cleaning power.  The cans of gel-like stuff make a satisfying
> sproing sound/feel when you tap the can.
>
> No idea what the 1....benzene stuff is, but Gunk gives you REALLY clean
> hands.
>
> Brake fluid can be used to remove nail polish.  Just so you know.

:) My post was sort of meant as humor but also to be careful with
anything benzene, especially methylated benzene. I paid my way through
college as a ASE Certified mech working in Ford and Chevy garages.
Finally, after 10 years of getting cut, burned, daily exposure to nasty
organic chemicals, and night school, I got a B.Sci degree in petroleum
geology with a minor in organic chemistry. M.Sci followed. I now work
in environmental helping to clean up the organic chemical messes that
others made. I still work on my own cars and neighbors cars though.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tvb274$3p7jl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2072&group=rec.autos.tech#2072

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:45:06 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 01:45 UTC

On 3/20/23 2:17 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Agreed, and I would not want to touch the chemicals in Gunk.
>>> Especially the 1,2,3,5-tetramethylbenzene.
>>
>> There speaks someone who never actually worked on cars.  We used to have
>> a 5-gallon can of Gunk into which we would dip greasy parts. You spray
>> or brush Gunk on, let it sit for a while and then hose it off.  It turns
>> grease to soap.  It's the same stuff as in mechanics' hand cleaner.  I
>> have a gallon of it that smells like oranges and contains pumice for
>> extra hand-cleaning power.  The cans of gel-like stuff make a satisfying
>> sproing sound/feel when you tap the can.
>>
>> No idea what the 1....benzene stuff is, but Gunk gives you REALLY clean
>> hands.
>>
>> Brake fluid can be used to remove nail polish.  Just so you know.
>
> :) My post was sort of meant as humor but also to be careful with
> anything benzene, especially methylated benzene.

Fair enough. I seem to remember that benzene is flammable. And
inflammable.

> I paid my way through
> college as a ASE Certified mech working in Ford and Chevy garages.
> Finally, after 10 years of getting cut, burned, daily exposure to nasty
> organic chemicals, and night school, I got a B.Sci degree in petroleum
> geology with a minor in organic chemistry. M.Sci followed. I now work
> in environmental helping to clean up the organic chemical messes that
> others made. I still work on my own cars and neighbors cars though.

Good boy! I really love Gunk and hand cleaner and I imagine you do too!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tvb5gk$3pmd3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2073&group=rec.autos.tech#2073

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:41:25 -0400
References: <428eaadd-eb36-43d0-aec3-882806da141cn@googlegroups.com> <tt9i9o$24uet$1@dont-email.me> <668820a2-d96c-4d16-9816-b618cf8ee222n@googlegroups.com> <bHYJL.262422$82jd.212802@fx13.ams1> <566edfa6-8156-4c2b-a0aa-a5a5c4867661n@googlegroups.com> <tv5evu$2m31s$1@dont-email.me> <tv81sj$36esi$1@dont-email.me> <tv8mik$3choq$1@dont-email.me> <tv8nk2$3cmq6$1@dont-email.me> <tvaigu$3moip$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:41 UTC

On 3/20/2023 17:17, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> I now work in environmental helping to clean up the organic chemical
> messes that others made.

Were you helping out in East Palestine? Heh... that was a doozy. I'm
about 16 miles from the train... but I feel badly for those within a
mile or two.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<utij1iha3n3a7tvr9gnthun0j6sc6rqlpe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2074&group=rec.autos.tech#2074

From: thismailautodeleted@comcast.net (Vic Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:27:10 -0500
References: <428eaadd-eb36-43d0-aec3-882806da141cn@googlegroups.com> <tt9i9o$24uet$1@dont-email.me> <668820a2-d96c-4d16-9816-b618cf8ee222n@googlegroups.com> <bHYJL.262422$82jd.212802@fx13.ams1> <566edfa6-8156-4c2b-a0aa-a5a5c4867661n@googlegroups.com> <tv5evu$2m31s$1@dont-email.me> <tv81sj$36esi$1@dont-email.me> <tv8mik$3choq$1@dont-email.me> <tv8nk2$3cmq6$1@dont-email.me> <tvaigu$3moip$1@dont-email.me> <tvb274$3p7jl$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Vic Smith - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:27 UTC

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:45:06 -0700, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/20/23 2:17 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

>> I paid my way through
>> college as a ASE Certified mech working in Ford and Chevy garages.
>> Finally, after 10 years of getting cut, burned, daily exposure to nasty
>> organic chemicals, and night school, I got a B.Sci degree in petroleum
>> geology with a minor in organic chemistry. M.Sci followed. I now work
>> in environmental helping to clean up the organic chemical messes that
>> others made. I still work on my own cars and neighbors cars though.
>
>Good boy! I really love Gunk and hand cleaner and I imagine you do too!
Can't talk about Gunk hand cleaner. Once I first used Gojo I never looked at anything
else.

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tvctv6$7lq8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2075&group=rec.autos.tech#2075

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:44:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 18:44 UTC

On 3/21/23 8:27 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:45:06 -0700, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 3/20/23 2:17 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>>
>>> I paid my way through
>>> college as a ASE Certified mech working in Ford and Chevy garages.
>>> Finally, after 10 years of getting cut, burned, daily exposure to nasty
>>> organic chemicals, and night school, I got a B.Sci degree in petroleum
>>> geology with a minor in organic chemistry. M.Sci followed. I now work
>>> in environmental helping to clean up the organic chemical messes that
>>> others made. I still work on my own cars and neighbors cars though.
>>
>>Good boy! I really love Gunk and hand cleaner and I imagine you do too!
>
> Can't talk about Gunk hand cleaner. Once I first used Gojo I never looked at anything
> else.

Probably the same stuff. Mine is Loctite Fast Orange in a 2-gallon
dispenser. Autozone has the Gojo stuff for $27/gallon. We probably
paid a few bucks at a yard sale for the Loctitie stuff.

It may be noted that this stuff is excellent for removing grease stains
from clothing BEFORE you wash it. knead the stuff into the stain (the
edge of a teaspoon is a good tool) until you can no longer see the stain
when you compare it to the unstained area next to it. Spend minutes on
this. Wash as usual.

When I was looking for the Sprayway stuff I noted that Auto Zone sold it
for $6.xx and Home Depot had a larger container for $3.xx. Guess which
I chose.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If Mary Jo could float I would have been president."

Re: Fog on inside winshield

<tvno4l$2bdn8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2076&group=rec.autos.tech#2076

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:12:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:12 UTC

On 3/21/23 11:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> When I was looking for the Sprayway stuff I noted that Auto Zone sold it
> for $6.xx and Home Depot had a larger container for $3.xx. Guess which
> I chose.

Works really well. I wish they'd had spray rather than aerosol, but I'm
happy.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.