From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the
catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 18:59:40 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:59 UTC

Michael wrote:

> I wonder what it does because it's impossible to shut off the fuel since
> there is only one intake manifold and the injectors inject fuel into it
> just like a carburetor would have, only a bit closer to the cylinders.
>
> If they shut down the fuel there will ALWAYS be fuel getting into the
> cylinders, but maybe the baffles are designed that one injector "mostly"
> injects into one cylinder for cars that aren't direct injected (which is
> most cars that are NOT direct fuel injected).

About 30 years ago, you had banked injected where fuel was dumped into
the left or right side of the intake manifold. Then came sequential
injection where the injector is next to intake valve, squirting when the
valve opens. I think there would be reasonable isolation between cylinders.