From: fte@nospam.com (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 00:01:22 -0500
 by: Frank - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 05:01 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:42:13 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> For the rest it's goodbye to the cat if the vehicle continues to be
> driven, or it goes into some form of severe limp mode and that pretty
> much forces rectification of the issue.

I was also wondering how the fuel could be shut off to any cylinder since
very few normal passenger car engines inject into the cylinder itself.

Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?

<u2ac2l$18mda$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2105&group=rec.autos.tech#2105

From: bobnospam@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the
catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 22:16:13 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 05:16 UTC

On 4/25/2023 10:01 PM, Frank wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:42:13 +1000, Xeno wrote:
>
>> For the rest it's goodbye to the cat if the vehicle continues to be
>> driven, or it goes into some form of severe limp mode and that pretty
>> much forces rectification of the issue.
>
> I was also wondering how the fuel could be shut off to any cylinder
> since very few normal passenger car engines inject into the cylinder
> itself.

My sienna has one injector for each cylinder. Why would that be?

Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?

<u2c6kk$k9f$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2109&group=rec.autos.tech#2109

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
Date: 26 Apr 2023 21:55:32 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 21:55 UTC

In article <u2ac2l$18mda$1@dont-email.me>, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/25/2023 10:01 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:42:13 +1000, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> For the rest it's goodbye to the cat if the vehicle continues to be
>>> driven, or it goes into some form of severe limp mode and that pretty
>>> much forces rectification of the issue.
>>
>> I was also wondering how the fuel could be shut off to any cylinder
>> since very few normal passenger car engines inject into the cylinder
>> itself.
>
>My sienna has one injector for each cylinder. Why would that be?

Your Sienna is injecting into the intake of each cylinder, so the computer
has fairly independent control over cylinders. But there is still a
very tiny amount of mixing in the manifold.

Cars that have direct injection (which include a lot of newer BMWs) inject
directly into the cylinder rather than the intake. This requires much more
rugged injectors and much more expensive ones.
--scott

Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?

<kau1u0FdphvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=rec.autos.tech#2112

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause
the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
Date: 27 Apr 2023 01:37:05 GMT
 by: Xeno - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 01:37 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/2023 10:01 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:42:13 +1000, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> For the rest it's goodbye to the cat if the vehicle continues to be
>>> driven, or it goes into some form of severe limp mode and that pretty
>>> much forces rectification of the issue.
>>
>> I was also wondering how the fuel could be shut off to any cylinder
>> since very few normal passenger car engines inject into the cylinder
>> itself.
>
> My sienna has one injector for each cylinder. Why would that be?

More accurate fuel distribution between cylinders.

____
Xeno