Xerox does it again and again and again and ...

tech / rec.autos.tech / One wire alternator question

SubjectAuthor
* One wire alternator questionIvan Vegvary
+- One wire alternator questionMichael Trew
+* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|`* One wire alternator questionXeno
| `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|  `* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   +* One wire alternator questionScott Dorsey
|   |`* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | +* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |`* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | | `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  +* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  |`* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  | `* One wire alternator questionPaul in Houston TX
|   | |  |  +- One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  |  `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  |   +* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  |   |`* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  |   | `* One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  |   |  `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  |   |   `- One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  |   `* One wire alternator questionPaul in Houston TX
|   | |  |    `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   | |  |     `- One wire alternator questionXeno
|   | |  `- One wire alternator questionScott Dorsey
|   | `- One wire alternator questionScott Dorsey
|   `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|    `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|     `* One wire alternator questionSnag
|      `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|       `* One wire alternator questionSnag
|        `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|         `* One wire alternator questionXeno
|          `* One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|           `* One wire alternator questionXeno
|            `- One wire alternator question😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
`* One wire alternator questionPaul in Houston TX
 `- One wire alternator questionIvan Vegvary

Pages:12
Re: One wire alternator question

<u3s2mi$2t5dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2036&group=rec.autos.tech#2036

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: One wire alternator question
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 20:42:39 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 15 May 2023 01:42 UTC

😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 5/13/2023 5:51 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> If it has high resistance, and connecting after market [DC] ammeter
>>> to the alternator registers cannot detect [DC] current, then it won't
>>> be able to charge the battery to 13.8V and next time the battery
>>> won't have enough juice to crank the motor. Do you have no brain?

>>> The OP already said there is no detectable [DC] current from the
>>> alternative when the headlights are on. Can't you read?

>>> The OP already said "No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm". Can't you
>>> read?
>>>
>>> Remainder of your bullshit snipped. Just answer to above question and
>>> you will realize that you are stupid.
>>
>> The op never said that the alt would charge the batt to 13.8v.
>
> Then find your reading glasses and read again.
>

>> The op never said what kind of ammeter or voltmeter.
>

> The OP said the external ammeter corroborates with the car's dashboard
> ammeter. Can't you read?
>

>> A $10 ammeter would likely not show milliamps.
>>

> NO car ammeter deals with milliamp. Do you have a brain?

You obviously have no knowledge of basic electricity or electronics and
are just a troll.
By the way, there are no germanium power rectifiers.

Re: One wire alternator question

<qSg8M.2939119$Z549.2182208@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2037&group=rec.autos.tech#2037

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 22:33:55 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 15 May 2023 02:33 UTC

On 5/14/2023 9:42 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> The op never said that the alt would charge the batt to 13.8v.
>>
>> Then find your reading glasses and read again.
>>

>>> The op never said what kind of ammeter or voltmeter.
>>

>> The OP said the external ammeter corroborates with the car's
>> dashboard ammeter. Can't you read?
>>

>>> A $10 ammeter would likely not show milliamps.
>>>

>> NO car ammeter deals with milliamp. Do you have a brain?
>>

> You obviously have no knowledge of basic electricity or electronics
> and are just a troll.
> By the way, there are no germanium power rectifiers.

Before silicon there were only germanium rectifiers. It was an old car
so most likely the person who modified the car used germanium bridge
rectifier. A germanium rectifier has lower forward voltage, so in high
current application germanium rectifier will consume less power and
generate less heat. That makes it more likely to be used in cars because
of the high current and low 12V battery. Germanium rectifier has higher
reverse leakage current than silicon rectifiers. In this case it
explains perfectly why the OP says the ammeter has negative current flow
when the engine is not running but the key is on.

Apparently you have no imagination to diagnose abnormal situation like
this. The OP says there is no apparent [DC] current from the alternator
but the battery behaves like normal with a rest voltage and a running
voltage. And there is reverse [DC] current when the car is not running
but the key is on.

The reverse current is the current from the battery leaking through the
germanium bridge rectifier back into the alternator coil.

As I have explained in detail in my previous posts in this thread, long
time ago somebody did not fix the alternator problem, and simply used
the AC from the alternator to connect to a germanium bridge rectifier
hidden somewhere inside the dashboard.

By the way, my education background is electrical engineering in university.

Re: One wire alternator question

<kcdo42Fq3leU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2038&group=rec.autos.tech#2038

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 13:44:02 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 15 May 2023 03:44 UTC

On 15/5/2023 12:33 pm, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 5/14/2023 9:42 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> Then find your reading glasses and read again.

>>> The OP said the external ammeter corroborates with the car's
>>> dashboard ammeter. Can't you read?

>>> NO car ammeter deals with milliamp. Do you have a brain?
>>>

>> You obviously have no knowledge of basic electricity or electronics
>> and are just a troll.
>> By the way, there are no germanium power rectifiers.
>
> Before silicon there were only germanium rectifiers. It was an old car
> so most likely the person who modified the car used germanium bridge
> rectifier. A germanium rectifier has lower forward voltage, so in high
> current application germanium rectifier will consume less power and
> generate less heat. That makes it more likely to be used in cars because
> of the high current and low 12V battery. Germanium rectifier has higher
> reverse leakage current than silicon rectifiers. In this case it
> explains perfectly why the OP says the ammeter has negative current flow
> when the engine is not running but the key is on.
>
> Apparently you have no imagination to diagnose abnormal situation like

I hate to break this to you but *imagination* plays no role in
diagnosis. We mechanics deal with the *facts* of any situation.

this. The OP says there is no apparent [DC] current from the alternator
> but the battery behaves like normal with a rest voltage and a running
> voltage. And there is reverse [DC] current when the car is not running
> but the key is on. >
> The reverse current is the current from the battery leaking through the
> germanium bridge rectifier back into the alternator coil.
>
> As I have explained in detail in my previous posts in this thread, long
> time ago somebody did not fix the alternator problem, and simply used
> the AC from the alternator to connect to a germanium bridge rectifier
> hidden somewhere inside the dashboard.
>
> By the way, my education background is electrical engineering in
> university.

Click here to read the complete article
One wire alternator question

<e0e3feac-72fc-48b2-9732-0fccd6b6ff1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2126&group=rec.autos.tech#2126

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 20:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: One wire alternator question
From: ivanvegvary@gmail.com (Ivan Vegvary)
 by: Ivan Vegvary - Tue, 9 May 2023 03:58 UTC

1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when parked 12 years ago).
No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm. Battery voltage 12.6V. Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads 0 or negative with headlights on. Placed an after market ammeter between the alternator and the battery. Same reading as ammeter in the dash.
How could this be? Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone. Needs to be excited. Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
All help is appreciated. I can certainly buy a new unit, but possibly have other problems.

Thank you

Re: One wire alternator question

<u3cj4d$6036$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2127&group=rec.autos.tech#2127

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 00:45:03 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 9 May 2023 04:45 UTC

On 5/8/2023 23:58, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when
> parked 12 years ago). No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm. Battery
> voltage 12.6V. Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp
> meter only reads 0 or negative with headlights on. Placed an after
> market ammeter between the alternator and the battery. Same reading
> as ammeter in the dash. How could this be? Alternator supplies
> voltage but no current. After idle for 12 years maybe residual
> magnetism is gone. Needs to be excited. Can't find a YouTube that
> shows me which terminals to zap. All help is appreciated. I can
> certainly buy a new unit, but possibly have other problems.
>
> Thank you

That's a tough one... if it's been sitting for 12 years, you've got to
start with the basics. Have you cleaned all of the grounds? Is the
terminal for the wire on the alternator clean? In 1948, it would have
been a 6 volt positive ground system. I'm assuming that someone has
since converted the car to 12 volt negative ground.

Re: One wire alternator question

<oZr6M.134720$z1hf.123461@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2128&group=rec.autos.tech#2128

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 09:34:11 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 9 May 2023 13:34 UTC

On 5/8/2023 11:58 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when parked 12 years ago).
> No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm. Battery voltage 12.6V. Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads 0 or negative with headlights on. Placed an after market ammeter between the alternator and the battery. Same reading as ammeter in the dash.
> How could this be? Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
> After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone. Needs to be excited. Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
> All help is appreciated. I can certainly buy a new unit, but possibly have other problems.
>
> Thank you

If you get 13.8V when the car is running, that means the alternator is
providing output.

The alternator output is AC. You need to use AC ammeter to measure the
AC current output from the alternator.

Re: One wire alternator question

<kbv488FimrgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2129&group=rec.autos.tech#2129

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 00:39:04 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 9 May 2023 14:39 UTC

On 9/5/2023 11:34 pm, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 5/8/2023 11:58 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
>> 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when
>> parked 12 years ago).
>> No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm.  Battery voltage 12.6V.  Battery
>> voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads 0 or
>> negative with headlights on.  Placed an after market ammeter between
>> the alternator and the battery.  Same reading as ammeter in the dash.
>> How could this be?  Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
>> After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone.  Needs to be
>> excited.  Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
>> All help is appreciated.  I can certainly buy a new unit, but possibly
>> have other problems.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> If you get 13.8V when the car is running, that means the alternator is
> providing output.
>
> The alternator output is AC. You need to use AC ammeter to measure the
> AC current output from the alternator.

Correction, the alternator output is DC. The 6 internal power diodes
provide the necessary rectification. The 3 exciter diodes are meant to
excite the field coils and set the generation process into gear.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: One wire alternator question

<s3v6M.947039$ttZe.233513@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2130&group=rec.autos.tech#2130

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:05:27 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 9 May 2023 17:05 UTC

On 5/9/2023 10:39 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 9/5/2023 11:34 pm, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>> On 5/8/2023 11:58 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
>>> 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when
>>> parked 12 years ago).
>>> No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm.  Battery voltage 12.6V.
>>> Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads
>>> 0 or negative with headlights on.  Placed an after market ammeter
>>> between the alternator and the battery.  Same reading as ammeter in
>>> the dash.
>>> How could this be?  Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
>>> After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone. Needs to
>>> be excited.  Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
>>> All help is appreciated.  I can certainly buy a new unit, but
>>> possibly have other problems.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>
>> If you get 13.8V when the car is running, that means the alternator
>> is providing output.
>>
>> The alternator output is AC. You need to use AC ammeter to measure
>> the AC current output from the alternator.
>>
> Correction, the alternator output is DC. The 6 internal power diodes
> provide the necessary rectification. The 3 exciter diodes are meant to
> excite the field coils and set the generation process into gear.

Are you sure that's true for 1948 Pontiac?

Maybe that alternator had been modified to use external rectifiers and
regulator.

Re: One wire alternator question

<u3eidi$d48g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2131&group=rec.autos.tech#2131

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 17:44:57 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Tue, 9 May 2023 22:44 UTC

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when parked 12 years ago).
> No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm. Battery voltage 12.6V. Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads 0 or negative with headlights on. Placed an after market ammeter between the alternator and the battery. Same reading as ammeter in the dash.
> How could this be? Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
> After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone. Needs to be excited. Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
> All help is appreciated. I can certainly buy a new unit, but possibly have other problems.
>
> Thank you

There must be current... but not a whole lot.
Possible corrosion... some where.
the alternator wire at alt or batt.
alt slip rings corroded.
alt brushes stuck.
internal corrosion at the diode plates.
bad alt ground.

Re: One wire alternator question

<1b6f3c1c-09ac-4343-a183-d85898cf5432n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2132&group=rec.autos.tech#2132

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: ivanvegvary@gmail.com (Ivan Vegvary)
 by: Ivan Vegvary - Wed, 10 May 2023 01:45 UTC

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:45:10 PM UTC-7, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> > 1948 Pontiac, 12V battery, one wire alternator (was working when parked 12 years ago).
> > No amperage reading even at 2000 rpm. Battery voltage 12.6V. Battery voltage with car running 13.8V, however amp meter only reads 0 or negative with headlights on. Placed an after market ammeter between the alternator and the battery. Same reading as ammeter in the dash.
> > How could this be? Alternator supplies voltage but no current.
> > After idle for 12 years maybe residual magnetism is gone. Needs to be excited. Can't find a YouTube that shows me which terminals to zap.
> > All help is appreciated. I can certainly buy a new unit, but possibly have other problems.
> >
> > Thank you
> There must be current... but not a whole lot.
> Possible corrosion... some where.
> the alternator wire at alt or batt.
> alt slip rings corroded.
> alt brushes stuck.
> internal corrosion at the diode plates.
> bad alt ground.
Thanks all of you for your thoughtful responses. Will check and clean all connections.

Re: One wire alternator question

<kc0mdhFq0n2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2133&group=rec.autos.tech#2133

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:55:13 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 10 May 2023 04:55 UTC

On 10/5/2023 3:05 am, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 5/9/2023 10:39 AM, Xeno wrote:

>>> If you get 13.8V when the car is running, that means the alternator
>>> is providing output.
>>>
>>> The alternator output is AC. You need to use AC ammeter to measure
>>> the AC current output from the alternator.
>>>
>> Correction, the alternator output is DC. The 6 internal power diodes
>> provide the necessary rectification. The 3 exciter diodes are meant to
>> excite the field coils and set the generation process into gear.
>>

> Are you sure that's true for 1948 Pontiac?
>
> Maybe that alternator had been modified to use external rectifiers and
> regulator.

Then it wouldn't be a single wire alternator, would it? Think about that
for a moment. Alternators are, typically, 3 phase. That means 3 +ve
power diodes, 3 -ve power diodes and 3 exciter diodes. If there is only
one output wire, then all *rectification* and control has to be on-board.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: One wire alternator question

<%7N6M.3125982$%ng4.397144@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2134&group=rec.autos.tech#2134

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:39:04 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Wed, 10 May 2023 13:39 UTC

On 5/10/2023 12:55 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 10/5/2023 3:05 am, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> Correction, the alternator output is DC. The 6 internal power diodes
>>> provide the necessary rectification. The 3 exciter diodes are meant
>>> to excite the field coils and set the generation process into gear.
>>>

>> Are you sure that's true for 1948 Pontiac?
>>
>> Maybe that alternator had been modified to use external rectifiers
>> and regulator.
>>
> Then it wouldn't be a single wire alternator, would it? Think about
> that for a moment. Alternators are, typically, 3 phase. That means 3
> +ve power diodes, 3 -ve power diodes and 3 exciter diodes. If there is
> only one output wire, then all *rectification* and control has to be
> on-board.

If the alternator really has DC output, then the car's ammeter and
external ammeter should register DC current.

I believe somehow the alternator burnt the internal diodes, and the
owner rewired it as single phase output and used external rectifier
after the car's dashboard ammeter. That means the dashboard ammeter has
not been working properly ever since. A germanium diode was used so some
reverse current is flowing back into the alternator when the engine is
not running but the key is on auxiliary. That's when and why the
dashboard ammeter registers negative.

Re: One wire alternator question

<MJW6M.769927$QS94.432803@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2135&group=rec.autos.tech#2135

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 20:33:46 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Thu, 11 May 2023 00:33 UTC

On 5/10/2023 9:39 AM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 12:55 AM, Xeno wrote:

>>> Are you sure that's true for 1948 Pontiac?
>>>
>>> Maybe that alternator had been modified to use external rectifiers
>>> and regulator.
>>>
>> Then it wouldn't be a single wire alternator, would it? Think about
>> that for a moment. Alternators are, typically, 3 phase. That means 3
>> +ve power diodes, 3 -ve power diodes and 3 exciter diodes. If there
>> is only one output wire, then all *rectification* and control has to
>> be on-board.
>>

> If the alternator really has DC output, then the car's [DC] ammeter
> and external [DC] ammeter should register DC current.
>
> I believe somehow the alternator burnt the internal diodes, and the
> owner rewired it as single phase [AC] output and used external [bridge
> rectifier] after the car's dashboard [DC] ammeter. That means the
> dashboard [DC] ammeter has not been working properly ever since
> [because it was AC coming from the alternator]. A germanium [bridge
> rectifier] was used so some reverse current is flowing back into the
> alternator when the engine is not running but the key is on auxiliary.
> That's when and why the dashboard ammeter registers negative.

I've some made minor corrections in square brackets [    ] above to
clarify my points.

I think I have the correct line of thinking.