From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: car with splayed wheels.
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:41:34 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 05:41 UTC

On 9/17/23 8:27 PM, micky wrote:
> I saw today what I think was a Subaru BRZ. Very pretty car (for a
> sedan) but what made it unusual were the wheels. All 4 were splayed.
> Isn't that the word when the bottoms of the wheels are farther from
> center than the tops. I'm not talking about camber or caster or what
> ever. These wheels looked like the whole ccar had been dropped 20 feet
> and some of the parts holding the wheels in place had broken.
>
> The driver said they were supposed to be like this, but the pictures
> I've found on line have wheels like all the other cars.
>
> This is a joint development with Toyota that calls it the 86 when they
> sell/sold it.

'86' is restaurant slang for 'throw it away'.

> Okay, it is camber, negative camber.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=car+with+splayed+wheels
>
> Still this one was so extreme, and all 4 wheels.

Google says "The wheels are tilted for the purposes of gaining more
traction during hard turns. Any form of “tilt” in tires is something
called the camber angle, and splaying the wheels like that is a negative
camber angle. Doing it the other way ( with the top out instead of the
bottom) is called positive camber."

If that were true, wouldn't serious race cars tilt their tires? I've
seen cars with tilted tires and it just looks stupid. Spend the money
on pretty neon under-car lights instead.

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,