One does not thank logic. -- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

tech / rec.autos.tech / Re: The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?

SubjectAuthor
* The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?Michael Tolhurst
`- The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?Woozy Song

1
Re: The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?

<774e226d-31dc-485c-a1a1-d0d95c3b5954n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2062&group=rec.autos.tech#2062

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?
From: platotolhurst@gmail.com (Michael Tolhurst)
 by: Michael Tolhurst - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 01:38 UTC

Hello to everyone from thirty years in the future. A few things you all might find interesting.

1) South Korean GDP has grown by over 4.5 times since 1993! This is really good for them and a testament to how freedom and liberty wins out over commnunism.
2) Part of this growth has been driven by impressive world leading firms, including Hyundai and Kia which are now a massive part of the US auto market and are a strong competitor to Japanese firms like Honda. You might have heard of them but they were just starting to import to the US in the late 1980s/early 1990s.
3) Recently these two companies have caused us all a lot of headaches by failing to incorporate many of the new and stellar antitheft devices most modern cars have. For example, most cars have a little computer chip in the key (or no key at all!) that prevents the car being started without detecting that chip.
4) Because Kia and Hyundai have not incorporated this technology there has now been a popular online video on a Chinese video sharing service called Tik Tok that is used by American teens which shows bored teenagers how to quickly and easily steal these cars. (That probably doesn't makea lot of sense in 1993 but wait til about 2014 or so and it will)
5) Having nearly had my Hyundai stolen (only spared because the young perpetrator could not drive a manual transmission - by the way those are totally disappearing in 2023) I have recently gone out and bought a club after seeking the advice from the ancient group chats from the 1990s as to their effectiveness.

Hopefully our present day thieves have forgotten to carry hacksaws and liquid nitrogen!

Re: The Club anti-theft device -- Does it really work?

<ueiptt$3p5li$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2138&group=rec.autos.tech#2138

From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:16:42 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 01:16 UTC

Michael Tolhurst wrote:
> Hello to everyone from thirty years in the future. A few things you all might find interesting.
>
> 1) South Korean GDP has grown by over 4.5 times since 1993! This is really good for them and a testament to how freedom and liberty wins out over commnunism.
> 2) Part of this growth has been driven by impressive world leading firms, including Hyundai and Kia which are now a massive part of the US auto market and are a strong competitor to Japanese firms like Honda. You might have heard of them but they were just starting to import to the US in the late 1980s/early 1990s.
> 3) Recently these two companies have caused us all a lot of headaches by failing to incorporate many of the new and stellar antitheft devices most modern cars have. For example, most cars have a little computer chip in the key (or no key at all!) that prevents the car being started without detecting that chip.
> 4) Because Kia and Hyundai have not incorporated this technology there has now been a popular online video on a Chinese video sharing service called Tik Tok that is used by American teens which shows bored teenagers how to quickly and easily steal these cars. (That probably doesn't makea lot of sense in 1993 but wait til about 2014 or so and it will)
> 5) Having nearly had my Hyundai stolen (only spared because the young perpetrator could not drive a manual transmission - by the way those are totally disappearing in 2023) I have recently gone out and bought a club after seeking the advice from the ancient group chats from the 1990s as to their effectiveness.
>
> Hopefully our present day thieves have forgotten to carry hacksaws and liquid nitrogen!

Recent case - an old age pensioner had a car he bought in 1979 and
lovingly maintained. Thieves used a hacksaw to cut off the Club device.
It will probably be stripped to restore another car of same model.