Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 07:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Gumout Engine Flush...Good or Paint Thinner?
From: solutionsmaintenance@yahoo.com (solutionsmaintenance@yahoo.com)
 by: solutionsmaintenance - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2006 at 4:02:18 PM UTC-7, Pop wrote:
> Knifeblade_03 wrote:
> > I bought a beater car awhile back, poorly maintained
> > engine-wise. Sludged up in the valve heads. Used some Gunk
> > 5-minute engine flush, it cleared it out rather well, but
> > the oil was really bad looking when draining out, and got a
> > short-term leak from rear crank seal.
> >
> > But, it was old beater car, no real loss if the Gunk harmed
> > the engine, which it didn't, in this case. I'd hesitate to
> > substitute an engine cleaner to fix lack of regular
> > oil-changes [including new filter].
> When I was a kid, we use plain old kerosene in the crankcase.
> Drain the oil, fill with kero, run for 5 minutes, kill it, drain
> it (the kero coming out was more like oil than kero!), fill with
> a 50/50 mix of kero/30W, run until hot or about 15 minutes,
> drain, put in oil, drive a week, drain and refill again. Forgot;
> takes three oil filters, too, two during and final one
> afterwards. Worked wonders on my 54 Chevy, 55 Ford, and then a
> friend's 57 Chevy. Never hurt a thing that we ever knew of. I
> DON"T think I'd try that with today's cars though!
> pop

I've used gumout in my engine for about 4 years now. I have a 2002 Yukon, never failed smog, spark plugs also seem to have very little build up on them at all when changed. After a using the product for a while I can tell the difference with my fuel economy it seemed slight better and no engine ticking, could be due to putting a few ounces in the oil. I have never had any engine problems since using this product.