https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2198&group=rec.autos.tech#2198

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:04:36 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:34 UTC

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.autos.tech
Historical content remains viewable.

An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
URL will need to be located that allows people to search before posting to
the r.a.t newsgroup & which allows unique references to recent articles.
--
You can probably safely remove your Google Groups filters now.

<ura8jm$ine3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2199&group=rec.autos.tech#2199

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or
subscriptions
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:03:34 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:03 UTC

On 2/22/2024 10:34 PM, Indira wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.autos.tech
> subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
>
> An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that
> reports a unique
> URL will need to be located that allows people to search
> before posting to
> the r.a.t newsgroup & which allows unique references to
> recent articles.

meh.
https://www.eternal-september.org/

A world without Gurgle is OK with me.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

<urat2b$2povc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=2200&group=rec.autos.tech#2200

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:22:43 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:52 UTC

AMuzi wrote:

> meh.
> https://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> A world without Gurgle is OK with me.

-1

The people who never searched before posting will say the loss of the
dejanews (which Google took over) Usenet-only search engine (which was
available to everyone with just a web browser, and which only searched
Usenet and which cost nothing which allowed the user to read the entire
thread - not just one post like Howard Knight does - and which allowed
users to reference the post to others who also had only a web browser,
etc) is no big deal (to them!).

But those people who say that are always exactly the people who never
searched before they posted anyway. So they never needed a Usenet search.

If you want to search before you post, then there will probably be new
engines that come up, although none with the retention that Google had.

The Usenet-only replacement search engine needs to be free to all, with
just a browser, not needing an account, and having infinite retention.