Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?

SubjectAuthor
* Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?Michael Price
`* Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?youngbl...@gmail.com
 `- Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?Charles Petersen

1
Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?

<a0cf79c7-c8a4-4b69-a3c0-f2f104f1798fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33765&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33765

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?
From: mfprice1@gmail.com (Michael Price)
 by: Michael Price - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:10 UTC

As we approach maintenance season any thoughts on applying ceramic coatings to your gelcoat?

I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which were positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pbq7Pfs7kAM

I have heard some say that it is important to actually lightly sand the gel coat yearly to rid it of the microcracks which prolongs the life of it and ceramic coating would interfere with that unless stripping back down to the gelcoat each year which sort of defeats one of the benefits since they can last multiple seasons.

Your thoughts?

--
Think Positive, Flaps Negative,
Michael Price (MP)

Re: Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?

<d89c7417-4f1e-44ba-90e8-e5c654b9cf27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33772&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33772

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?
From: youngblood8116@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:31 UTC

On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:10:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Price wrote:
> As we approach maintenance season any thoughts on applying ceramic coatings to your gelcoat?
>
> I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which were positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pbq7Pfs7kAM
>
> I have heard some say that it is important to actually lightly sand the gel coat yearly to rid it of the microcracks which prolongs the life of it and ceramic coating would interfere with that unless stripping back down to the gelcoat each year which sort of defeats one of the benefits since they can last multiple seasons.
>
> Your thoughts?
>

> --
> Think Positive, Flaps Negative,
> Michael Price (MP)
> www.TrackMichael.com
Michael, just FWIW, I tried that ceramic stuff on a set of winglets that came on Eileen's ASW24, they were the original winglets not her UH super duper fancy winglets. I told the guy that convinced her to try the snakeoil, and against my wishes it was applied to the winglets. Within a short period of time the coloration had gone from a nice white gel to a discolored off white that was dirty yellow looking. So, what did OLD BOB, THE PURIST do? I had to sand down the gel and refinish the winglets with Urethane.
Hope to see you again soon, come on down to Florida triangle territory and fly with the good guys. OBTP

Re: Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?

<2e9cc980-2e25-4fea-804c-02763ad89330n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33774&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33774

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: charlesfpetersen@gmail.com (Charles Petersen)
 by: Charles Petersen - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:00 UTC

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 7:31:47 a.m. UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:10:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Price wrote:
> > As we approach maintenance season any thoughts on applying ceramic coatings to your gelcoat?
> >
> > I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which were positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.
> > https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pbq7Pfs7kAM
> >
> > I have heard some say that it is important to actually lightly sand the gel coat yearly to rid it of the microcracks which prolongs the life of it and ceramic coating would interfere with that unless stripping back down to the gelcoat each year which sort of defeats one of the benefits since they can last multiple seasons.
> >
> > Your thoughts?
> >

> > --
> > Think Positive, Flaps Negative,
> > Michael Price (MP)
> > www.TrackMichael.com
> Michael, just FWIW, I tried that ceramic stuff on a set of winglets that came on Eileen's ASW24, they were the original winglets not her UH super duper fancy winglets. I told the guy that convinced her to try the snakeoil, and against my wishes it was applied to the winglets. Within a short period of time the coloration had gone from a nice white gel to a discolored off white that was dirty yellow looking. So, what did OLD BOB, THE PURIST do? I had to sand down the gel and refinish the winglets with Urethane.
> Hope to see you again soon, come on down to Florida triangle territory and fly with the good guys. OBTP
I had my Cobra trailer treated about 4 years ago. It looked new for the following 2 - 3 years, but is now due for a renewal. But I have been using Meguires ceramic wax hybrid on my car and PU glider paint (https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz)
I really like it, and the application is extremely easy, - wash, rinse, apply and then towel dry, subsequent is only wash, rinse, apply and rinse again. It behaves like a rinse agent at a car wash. I'm a big fan...