Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Electric tug for a glider?
From: bud.shaw@gmail.com (Bud Shaw)
 by: Bud Shaw - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:28 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:32:59 PM UTC-5, John Good wrote:
> Posted for a friend:
>
> Has anyone had success moving the main wheel of a glider using a tug like the AC Air Tech with a "lazy susan"?
> https://acairtechnology.com/products/ac-tracktech-t1x3-compact-tug-with-lazy-susan
>
> We want to control the main wheel, not the tailwheel, so that one person can move the glider into and out of a hangar (including a slight slope), and rotate the glider about 45 degrees from straight in.
>
> We tried the Best Tugs R8 tug, but are unable to get it under the main wheel of an Arcus, due largely to the weight of the glider. Also there are clearance issues with the gear doors.
>
> Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share.

I am also looking for a dolly that will allow me to roll the glider sideways partially into the hangar, and then rotate it 30-45 degrees, and slide it sideways again. Based on having good luck using inexpensive wheel dollies on the four wheels of cars, I bought one advertised as suitable for gliders. Unfortunately, the castering wheels are too small to allow the glider to roll over some of the larger defects in the hangar floor or over the door threshold without causing the dolly to stop rotating with the glider. The dolly we use for our L23 has proven adequate, however, by inserting a short piece of 2x4 along side the main wheel to keep it from rotating in the “trough” and inserting a short piece of 2x6 into the trough forward of the main wheel to keep the glider from rolling too far forward and damaging the main gear door.

Re: Electric tug for a glider?

<uemsfc$qlv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33852&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33852

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:24:44 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 14:24 UTC

A friend used to have a round steel plate with heavy-duty casters.
IIRC, he had a ramp to roll his DG-500m-22 on to the dolly. He cut a
section out of his hangar door track and installed blind nuts into the
concrete floor to replace the track after the glider was inside. Worked
pretty well.

Have you seen those mini-tank treaded devices? Something like this:

https://homedepot.com/p/Trailer-Valet-3500-lbs-Remote-Control-Mover-TVRVR3/305093551

Dan
5J

On 9/22/23 15:28, Bud Shaw wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:32:59 PM UTC-5, John Good wrote:
>> Posted for a friend:
>>
>> Has anyone had success moving the main wheel of a glider using a tug like the AC Air Tech with a "lazy susan"?
>> https://acairtechnology.com/products/ac-tracktech-t1x3-compact-tug-with-lazy-susan
>>
>> We want to control the main wheel, not the tailwheel, so that one person can move the glider into and out of a hangar (including a slight slope), and rotate the glider about 45 degrees from straight in.
>>
>> We tried the Best Tugs R8 tug, but are unable to get it under the main wheel of an Arcus, due largely to the weight of the glider. Also there are clearance issues with the gear doors.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share.
>
> I am also looking for a dolly that will allow me to roll the glider sideways partially into the hangar, and then rotate it 30-45 degrees, and slide it sideways again. Based on having good luck using inexpensive wheel dollies on the four wheels of cars, I bought one advertised as suitable for gliders. Unfortunately, the castering wheels are too small to allow the glider to roll over some of the larger defects in the hangar floor or over the door threshold without causing the dolly to stop rotating with the glider. The dolly we use for our L23 has proven adequate, however, by inserting a short piece of 2x4 along side the main wheel to keep it from rotating in the “trough” and inserting a short piece of 2x6 into the trough forward of the main wheel to keep the glider from rolling too far forward and damaging the main gear door.

Re: Electric tug for a glider?

<51e7c08b-ab07-4ca1-ae30-19b8d95346cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33856&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33856

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: ulineumann@aol.com (AS)
 by: AS - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:00 UTC

On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> A friend used to have a round steel plate with heavy-duty casters.
> IIRC, he had a ramp to roll his DG-500m-22 on to the dolly. He cut a
> section out of his hangar door track and installed blind nuts into the
> concrete floor to replace the track after the glider was inside. Worked
> pretty well.
>
> Have you seen those mini-tank treaded devices? Something like this:
>
> https://homedepot.com/p/Trailer-Valet-3500-lbs-Remote-Control-Mover-TVRVR3/305093551
>
> Dan
> 5J

Dan - I am using exactly that device to maneuver my trailer in and out of the hangar here in SC. To turn this tracked device into a glider dolly would take some engineering but I think it is possible.
Bud - feel free to contact me at moc.oohay ta nnamuenilu

Uli
'AS'