You need tender loving care once a week - so that I can slap you into shape. -- Ellyn Mustard

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Another Scam?

SubjectAuthor
* Another Scam?Dan Marotta
+- Another Scam?Sean Franke
+* Another Scam?Hank Nixon
|`* Another Scam?2G
| `* Another Scam?Mark628CA
|  `* Another Scam?Roy B.
|   `- Another Scam?John_DeRosa_OHM_Ω_http://aviation.derosaweb.net
`* Another Scam?Dan Marotta
 `- Another Scam?Sean Franke

1
Another Scam?

<uhhbta$2ffkn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34159&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34159

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Another Scam?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:00:09 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:00 UTC

I think so. Here's the third email received by the buyer of my Stemme
(advertised on Wings & Wheels). In his previous email he said he was
"at Chicago, IL".

How to engage him? Tell him it will be 3-4 weeks after depositing his
Cashier's Check before he'll be able to have his "agent" come to take
possession?

Who knows - he might just be legitimate... Nah... Probably not.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the quick mail-back and i can understand
you very clearly. I would like to let you know I am okay with the Terms
and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking
Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again
am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Cashiers Checks which
will be issued to you for the payment and pick up will be arranged after
the cashiers checks is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to
come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that
all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the
Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My
Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is
Cleared by your Bank. Let me know if there is any other miscellaneous
payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to
it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount
that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will
be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash
available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf
regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation
will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail
information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the
change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get
Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check
and payment will be issued via first class Mail

Name to Be Write on The Check.
Address To Send the Check To so you receive and get it Deposited in your
bank.
Your Phone Numbers.
Bank Name.
Bank Address.
Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared
the payment from your Bank Account. Await your Quick Response so that I
can arrange for the
payment immediately.

N.B....And the Check will have to be cleared before the pick up of the
item..
Thank you.

--
Dan
5J

Re: Another Scam?

<436c6365-d680-43fa-ad70-8d2768ed0c80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34162&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34162

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Another Scam?
From: seanrfranke@gmail.com (Sean Franke)
 by: Sean Franke - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:59 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 4:00:21 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
> I think so. Here's the third email received by the buyer of my Stemme
> (advertised on Wings & Wheels). In his previous email he said he was
> "at Chicago, IL".
>
> How to engage him? Tell him it will be 3-4 weeks after depositing his
> Cashier's Check before he'll be able to have his "agent" come to take
> possession?
>
> Who knows - he might just be legitimate... Nah... Probably not.
>
> Hello Dan,
>
> Thanks for the quick mail-back and i can understand
> you very clearly. I would like to let you know I am okay with the Terms
> and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking
> Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again
> am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Cashiers Checks which
> will be issued to you for the payment and pick up will be arranged after
> the cashiers checks is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to
> come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that
> all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the
> Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My
> Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is
> Cleared by your Bank. Let me know if there is any other miscellaneous
> payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to
> it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount
> that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will
> be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash
> available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf
> regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation
> will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail
> information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the
> change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get
> Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check
> and payment will be issued via first class Mail
>
> Name to Be Write on The Check.
> Address To Send the Check To so you receive and get it Deposited in your
> bank.
> Your Phone Numbers.
> Bank Name.
> Bank Address.
> Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared
> the payment from your Bank Account. Await your Quick Response so that I
> can arrange for the
> payment immediately.
>
> N.B....And the Check will have to be cleared before the pick up of the
> item..
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Dan
> 5J

Expect several scam attempts. Unfortunately, it's normal. I don't know of any way to prevent scam attempts or to 'get them'. One way to quickly shut down a scammer is to tell them the sale will go through AOPA AIRCRAFT TITLE AND ESCROW SERVICES. So far, that has worked every time.

Sean

Re: Another Scam?

<f3b18cb3-7ca2-4818-8b9c-a85dbf7ebfc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34163&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34163

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: unclhank@earthlink.net (Hank Nixon)
 by: Hank Nixon - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 00:34 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 6:00:21 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> I think so. Here's the third email received by the buyer of my Stemme
> (advertised on Wings & Wheels). In his previous email he said he was
> "at Chicago, IL".
>
> How to engage him? Tell him it will be 3-4 weeks after depositing his
> Cashier's Check before he'll be able to have his "agent" come to take
> possession?
>
> Who knows - he might just be legitimate... Nah... Probably not.
>
> Hello Dan,
>
> Thanks for the quick mail-back and i can understand
> you very clearly. I would like to let you know I am okay with the Terms
> and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking
> Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again
> am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Cashiers Checks which
> will be issued to you for the payment and pick up will be arranged after
> the cashiers checks is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to
> come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that
> all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the
> Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My
> Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is
> Cleared by your Bank. Let me know if there is any other miscellaneous
> payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to
> it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount
> that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will
> be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash
> available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf
> regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation
> will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail
> information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the
> change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get
> Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check
> and payment will be issued via first class Mail
>
> Name to Be Write on The Check.
> Address To Send the Check To so you receive and get it Deposited in your
> bank.
> Your Phone Numbers.
> Bank Name.
> Bank Address.
> Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared
> the payment from your Bank Account. Await your Quick Response so that I
> can arrange for the
> payment immediately.
>
> N.B....And the Check will have to be cleared before the pick up of the
> item..
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Dan
> 5J
The poor language is a reasonable tip off .
UH

Re: Another Scam?

<aaac6802-d436-4469-b1bb-857d328d4972n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34164&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34164

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: soar2morrow@yahoo.com (2G)
 by: 2G - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 01:00 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 5:35:01 PM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
> On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 6:00:21 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > I think so. Here's the third email received by the buyer of my Stemme
> > (advertised on Wings & Wheels). In his previous email he said he was
> > "at Chicago, IL".
> >
> > How to engage him? Tell him it will be 3-4 weeks after depositing his
> > Cashier's Check before he'll be able to have his "agent" come to take
> > possession?
> >
> > Who knows - he might just be legitimate... Nah... Probably not.
> >
> > Hello Dan,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick mail-back and i can understand
> > you very clearly. I would like to let you know I am okay with the Terms
> > and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking
> > Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again
> > am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Cashiers Checks which
> > will be issued to you for the payment and pick up will be arranged after
> > the cashiers checks is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to
> > come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that
> > all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the
> > Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My
> > Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is
> > Cleared by your Bank. Let me know if there is any other miscellaneous
> > payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to
> > it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount
> > that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will
> > be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash
> > available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf
> > regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation
> > will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail
> > information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the
> > change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get
> > Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check
> > and payment will be issued via first class Mail
> >
> > Name to Be Write on The Check.
> > Address To Send the Check To so you receive and get it Deposited in your
> > bank.
> > Your Phone Numbers.
> > Bank Name.
> > Bank Address.
> > Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared
> > the payment from your Bank Account. Await your Quick Response so that I
> > can arrange for the
> > payment immediately.
> >
> > N.B....And the Check will have to be cleared before the pick up of the
> > item..
> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Dan
> > 5J
> The poor language is a reasonable tip off .
> UH

A dead giveaway of a scam is that the amount of the check is always more than the price of the item. "Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount that will be issued on the Check"
Come on - WHY would he be paying you to transport the aircraft if his own shipper is picking it up? The last bogus "cashier's check" that I received added $1,950 to a $75 item. This, of course, is totally ridiculous, but why $1,950? It turns out that the mule (the person hired in the US to print and mail the bogus check) resided in Colorado and the threshold for a felony fraud crime is $2,000. This amount kept it in the misdemeanor category.

The frustrating part is that the police are generally uninterested in an ATTEMPTED fraud, only one where you have actually lost money. I did report it and was interviewed by a local police sergeant, but the Colorado police were not interested in the case.

BTW, you can get commercial check printing software that will produce very credible looking cashier's checks. I reported this case to the bank who immediately suspended the account.

Tom 2G

Re: Another Scam?

<1f71c4fa-8b7b-486b-9f68-5b663ca83110n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34166&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34166

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: mark@mmfabrication.com (Mark628CA)
 by: Mark628CA - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 01:15 UTC

The biggest tipoff id that he never once refers to what the product is. Nowhere does he mention "Stemme."

Just wait until AI makes these things seem "real."

Re: Another Scam?

<c8922aa8-0a5b-417f-8343-17daaeee22d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34167&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34167

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: royb@bourgeoiswhite.com (Roy B.)
 by: Roy B. - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 01:27 UTC

It's exactly what Tom (2G) said: Every time there is a cashiers or bank check for more than the purchaser price it's a scam and you will be asked to "refund" the extra to the shipper, the buyer, or somebody. Then they all disappear and the check is a fake. You are out the real money that you refunded.

But I don't care because I just won a Nigerian lottery and I only need to send a few hundred dollars to get the money here. Then I can buy the Stemme . . .
ROY

Re: Another Scam?

<fb6b8a1c-8624-44f8-9bd5-54bab19bdbcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34172&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34172

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: jhderosa@gmail.com (John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net)
 by: John DeRosa OHM Ω - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 15:02 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 8:27:45 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
> It's exactly what Tom (2G) said: Every time there is a cashiers or bank check for more than the purchaser price it's a scam and you will be asked to "refund" the extra to the shipper, the buyer, or somebody. Then they all disappear and the check is a fake. You are out the real money that you refunded.
>
> But I don't care because I just won a Nigerian lottery and I only need to send a few hundred dollars to get the money here. Then I can buy the Stemme . . .
> ROY

The true tip off is WHO THE HELL WRITES THIS DETAILED OF AN EMAIL? EVER.

I would have just written "I'm on my way with cash!".

You have to wonder what percentage of time this actually works.

Re: Another Scam?

<uhr8hk$142gs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34193&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34193

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:04:02 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 16:04 UTC

Since I suggested that he set up an escrow account for the purchase
price, I haven't heard back.

Dan
5J

Re: Another Scam?

<e54732d2-df94-4b18-94c5-d1fe58413b38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34203&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34203

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: seanrfranke@gmail.com (Sean Franke)
 by: Sean Franke - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 23:38 UTC

So far, works every time. Nice.