No extensible language will be universal. -- T. Cheatham

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Well Dave!

SubjectAuthor
* Well Dave!Eric Greenwell
+* Well Dave!Eric Greenwell
|`- Well Dave!Eric Greenwell
`- Well Dave!jfitch

1
Re: Well Dave!

<ac545d89-7b8d-4b36-8ea3-70e19a9f044dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34181&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34181

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:59:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Well Dave!
From: engreenwell@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:59 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have enjoyed watching your recent flights out of SLGP, nice triangles finally. I have my Lowly 27 ready to go, and as soon as I get a chance I plan on flying some bigger triangles than you down here in Vero Beach, and I have a PURE GLIDER , not one of those motorglider jobs with the get me home button.
> Now get all the practice that you can, you will certainly need it. The invitation is always extended to you to come on down here and enjoy the flying and fellowship of TCSC. Keep up the good work. OBTP
Old Bob, you have a clubhouse full of "get me home buttons" (aka as "club members"), who will willingly retrieve you by ground or by air; in fact, you own a "get me home button" (towplane) that can get many gliders home, so make one them be you, at least occasionally. You are doing tremendous work, getting a 1000+ gliders in the air each season. Take advantage of some of the good will you've earned! I suggest you make use of these most excellent GMHB folks by attempting bigger triangles, triangles so big, you have only a 70% chance of completing each one.

Re: Well Dave!

<0f9d8b95-128d-4aa5-a997-793539c4c0bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34183&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34183

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 06:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: engreenwell@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:00 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 5:03:56 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 6:59:18 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I have enjoyed watching your recent flights out of SLGP, nice triangles finally. I have my Lowly 27 ready to go, and as soon as I get a chance I plan on flying some bigger triangles than you down here in Vero Beach, and I have a PURE GLIDER , not one of those motorglider jobs with the get me home button.
> > > Now get all the practice that you can, you will certainly need it. The invitation is always extended to you to come on down here and enjoy the flying and fellowship of TCSC. Keep up the good work. OBTP
> > Old Bob, you have a clubhouse full of "get me home buttons" (aka as "club members"), who will willingly retrieve you by ground or by air; in fact, you own a "get me home button" (towplane) that can get many gliders home, so make one them be you, at least occasionally. You are doing tremendous work, getting a 1000+ gliders in the air each season. Take advantage of some of the good will you've earned! I suggest you make use of these most excellent GMHB folks by attempting bigger triangles, triangles so big, you have only a 70% chance of completing each one.
> Eric, I have had club members come and get me from landouts, no bother to anyone, my keys are always in my truck and the tank is full of fuel. I will be flying soon, much to the dislike of some of the MG guy's. I should be flying my triangles again very soon, getting good reports and feeling good. Don't worry about Old Bob, I complete my triangles 99.8% of the time, almost as accurate as the late Rush Limbaugh he was correct 99.9% of the time. Old Bob, The Purist
Be Bolder, Bob! Extend those flights to even bigger triangles, until your completion rate noticeably diminishes, because you are leaving some fun on the table. Ask yourself: Why am a I flying like the typical motorglider pilot, who doesn't use his Get Me Home Button even 1% of the time?

It's true, Bob, many motorglider pilots fly so conservatively, they very rarely need to use their GMHB. I preach to them, too, but you are the only one I harass in public, because because, well, you tee yourself up so often, I can't resist. But really, you are kin to those pilots you pretend disparage. They, too, are Purists at heart!

Re: Well Dave!

<a4a2e0e7-cb09-49e1-bbb0-444ebdbcbd19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34185&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34185

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:33:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: engreenwell@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:33 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:06:11 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:00:20 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > > Eric, I have had club members come and get me from landouts, no bother to anyone, my keys are always in my truck and the tank is full of fuel. I will be flying soon, much to the dislike of some of the MG guy's. I should be flying my triangles again very soon, getting good reports and feeling good. Don't worry about Old Bob, I complete my triangles 99.8% of the time, almost as accurate as the late Rush Limbaugh he was correct 99.9% of the time. Old Bob, The Purist
> > Be Bolder, Bob! Extend those flights to even bigger triangles, until your completion rate noticeably diminishes, because you are leaving some fun on the table. Ask yourself: Why am a I flying like the typical motorglider pilot, who doesn't use his Get Me Home Button even 1% of the time?
> >
> > It's true, Bob, many motorglider pilots fly so conservatively, they very rarely need to use their GMHB. I preach to them, too, but you are the only one I harass in public, because because, well, you tee yourself up so often, I can't resist. But really, you are kin to those pilots you pretend disparage. They, too, are Purists at heart!
> Eric, I really like getting under your skin, if this were an ass kicking contest your backside would be very sore. Having you use the GMHB phrase solidifies what I have been saying all along, I don't have that GMHB, so I must make my flights knowing that I cannot cheat. OBTP
GMHB is appropriate to Dave's glider, which is a sustainer. What I have is a GMLB (Get Me Launched Button), which I needed if I was going to fly during the week when I retired. Turns out, it's infrequently used GMHB function really appealed to my wife, who judges it "The Best Glider We've Ever Owned", because "It always gets home".
Eric

Re: Well Dave!

<545cd338-9c2f-4933-ba52-be6d0f0fb3b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34187&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34187

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfitch@flash.net (jfitch)
 by: jfitch - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:50 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 3:59:18 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail..com wrote:
> > I have enjoyed watching your recent flights out of SLGP, nice triangles finally. I have my Lowly 27 ready to go, and as soon as I get a chance I plan on flying some bigger triangles than you down here in Vero Beach, and I have a PURE GLIDER , not one of those motorglider jobs with the get me home button.
> > Now get all the practice that you can, you will certainly need it. The invitation is always extended to you to come on down here and enjoy the flying and fellowship of TCSC. Keep up the good work. OBTP
> Old Bob, you have a clubhouse full of "get me home buttons" (aka as "club members"), who will willingly retrieve you by ground or by air; in fact, you own a "get me home button" (towplane) that can get many gliders home, so make one them be you, at least occasionally. You are doing tremendous work, getting a 1000+ gliders in the air each season. Take advantage of some of the good will you've earned! I suggest you make use of these most excellent GMHB folks by attempting bigger triangles, triangles so big, you have only a 70% chance of completing each one.
Old Bob has a Get Me Home Button too, it's just on his cell phone rather than the instrument panel. He also has the advantage that flying where he does, Home is rarely more than 100 km away, and easily accessible with good roads, so a two hour retrieve max. The auxiliary engine answering the cell phone GMHB might be less willing, if it knew that this would be a two day retrieve like we can have out West where there is some real soaring. Even on a aero retrieve, I know of a couple in which the Pawnee had to stop for gas .... twice.