Those who can, do; those who can't, write. Those who can't write work for the Bell Labs Record.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Password Managers

SubjectAuthor
* Password Managersjp
`* Password ManagersDan Marotta
 `* Password Managersjp
  `- Password ManagersDan Marotta

1
Password Managers

<cb67cb6b-e03b-4d2d-9a3f-9c4bca1fd885n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34230&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34230

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 17:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Password Managers
From: jimlewis179@gmail.com (jp)
 by: jp - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:38 UTC

Hi All,

I use 1Password for keeping some track of the many accounts and passwords I have to use. I works well for me.

But, I cannot make use of the passwords that 1Password generates because from time to time I need to use someone else's computer - at a work place for instance - to log onto some of my accounts. There just is no way for me to make use of the 1Password generated passwords in such cases. I make up my own passwords - that I can then remember - so I can log on from a "strange" computer.

This is really not much of a problem but it does limit what I can make use of 1Password's support.

Re: Password Managers

<ui8cpf$1pb6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34234&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34234

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: Password Managers
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:36:15 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:36 UTC

Hi Jim,

I use NordPass password manager. As you, I do not like to use the
software generated passwords, but NordPass also runs on my phone so I
can see S/W generated passwords if I like and can then type them on
another computer. See if 1Password can be used that way or try
NordPass, they have both free and premium versions.

Dan
5J

On 11/4/23 18:38, jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use 1Password for keeping some track of the many accounts and passwords I have to use. I works well for me.
>
> But, I cannot make use of the passwords that 1Password generates because from time to time I need to use someone else's computer - at a work place for instance - to log onto some of my accounts. There just is no way for me to make use of the 1Password generated passwords in such cases. I make up my own passwords - that I can then remember - so I can log on from a "strange" computer.
>
> This is really not much of a problem but it does limit what I can make use of 1Password's support.

Re: Password Managers

<2fc8aed5-0588-4ba8-a5c2-61a416437f35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34235&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34235

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 20:34:57 -0800 (PST)
From: jimlewis179@gmail.com (jp)
 by: jp - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 04:34 UTC

On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 7:36:20 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I use NordPass password manager. As you, I do not like to use the
> software generated passwords, but NordPass also runs on my phone so I
> can see S/W generated passwords if I like and can then type them on
> another computer. See if 1Password can be used that way or try
> NordPass, they have both free and premium versions.
>
> Dan
> 5J
> On 11/4/23 18:38, jp wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I use 1Password for keeping some track of the many accounts and passwords I have to use. I works well for me.
> >
> > But, I cannot make use of the passwords that 1Password generates because from time to time I need to use someone else's computer - at a work place for instance - to log onto some of my accounts. There just is no way for me to make use of the 1Password generated passwords in such cases. I make up my own passwords - that I can then remember - so I can log on from a "strange" computer.
> >
> > This is really not much of a problem but it does limit what I can make use of 1Password's support.

Thank you Dan. I'll have a look at NordPass.

Re: Password Managers

<uib6j6$hr38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34237&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34237

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:08:54 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:08 UTC

NordPass runs as a separate process on your desktop but a recent email
from them said that they'll soon be releasing a version that will run
directly in the browser, probably as an extension. We'll see how that
works out. BTW, I also use NordVPN, that's where I learned about NordPass.

Dan
5J