Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 08:59:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Starting a small airport
From: musyokasamuel16@gmail.com (Musyoka Samuel)
 by: Musyoka Samuel - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 16:59 UTC

Hello aviators and geniuses

I need your advice,
I’m planning on starting a small flying club ( mostly STOL and light aircraft)
How much land apx. Do I need and what runway length do I need?
Does having a crosswind runway count or is it not that important?

Re: Starting a small airport

<umf30u$3i64r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34698&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34698

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: Starting a small airport
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 10:37:34 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:37 UTC

Hello Samuel,

A lot depends upon your proposed airport's elevation; the higher the
density altitude, the longer the runways required.

You say "mosty STOL and light aircraft" but that requires a lot of
flexibility.  Look at the pilot's manuals of the aircraft you think
would be served by this airport and remember that the runway
requirements were established by company test pilots flying new aircraft
of the type.  In general, I'd say that 600 meters or 2,000 feet would be
plenty for any general aviation aircraft.  The runway requirements for
STOL aircraft vary down to practically nothing!  You will have to decide
if land is restricted.  If you're not restricted, I would suggest 600
meters and the STOL aircraft could use a marked section of the runway
for their practice and contests.  Multi engine planes, of course, need
more runway.

A cross wind runway is nice but not a requirement.  The majority of
small airports where I have operated have only one runway, but it is
aligned closely with the prevailing winds for the area. Note that the
local wind may be affected by the terrain.  If you feel that you must
have a cross wind runway, I'd suggest it be shorter than the main runway
since that will be less expensive and seldom used.

As for land area, I can only offer a guess.  I would have enough width
of the property to allow for the runway and for assembly, taxi, and
parking areas adjacent to the runway.  As for length, consider what is
off the ends of the runway and along the side. You have to allow room
for the traffic pattern and for final approach and departure.  You must
also look at prospective growth of the area.  Any residential areas will
bring complaints from the new residents.  So finally, look for a rather
remote area which is not likely to become congested within the
foreseeable future.

Hope that helps.

Dan 5J
On 12/26/23 09:59, Musyoka Samuel wrote:
> Hello aviators and geniuses
>
> I need your advice,
> I’m planning on starting a small flying club ( mostly STOL and light aircraft)
> How much land apx. Do I need and what runway length do I need?
> Does having a crosswind runway count or is it not that important?

Re: Starting a small airport

<651bb245-7f79-415c-b9a2-9fce508f4f30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34699&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34699

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 11:46:13 -0800 (PST)
From: mark@mmfabrication.com (Mark628CA)
 by: Mark628CA - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:46 UTC

Another couple of things that will determine required runway length are things like flight path obstacles (trees, antennas, power lines, etc.) and (often overlooked) altitude above sea level. Plus, things like prevailing wind direction and potential hot-weather density altitude problems. Plenty of examples of what works, as well as things that don't work are available from the local FSDO, assuming yours is one of the "helpful" ones. Not all FSDOs are the same when it comes to assistance and lack of bureaucratic stagnation. You can also contact AOPA for information about flying clubs and other user groups in your area.

Re: Starting a small airport

<umfccp$3iq0m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34700&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34700

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 13:17:29 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:17 UTC

AND...  Assuming you're in the western US, there is an abundance of
public land which can be used under certain conditions.  A long time ago
(20-30 years) a club in Colorado leased a section of land (1 mile
square) from the Bureau of Land Management) and set up gliding
operations.  The altitude was right at or slightly above 10,000 ft.
MSL.  I flew there a few times using winch launching. Neither wind nor
runway length were ever a problem as, with a minimum of 1 mile and a
maximum of 1.414 miles (thanks Pythagoras), we could simply launch
directly into the wind.

The winch was owned my my club, Black Forest Soaring Society, and I
still have a T-shirt from the other club, Silverheels Glider Park (or Club).

Dan 5J