<Overfiend> Joy: Hey, I'm an asshole. Assholes emit odious gas. That's what we do.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Papa3
+- Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Greg Arnold
+- Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot)
`* Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Eric G
 `* Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?GliderWobble
  +- Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Eric G
  `- Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?Tim Newport-Peace

1
Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<d33eb1c5-4dae-4083-a2f2-42662f51f87bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34733&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34733

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:20:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?
From: erik.h.mann@gmail.com (Papa3)
 by: Papa3 - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 7:33:54 AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> TCSC has an ASW24B added to the fleet for members to rent and explore XC soaring. Members are going through a intense checkout prior to flying the ship. Emphasis is placed on the CG hook take off characteristics, most of our pilots have no CG experience on takeoff.
> Our rental rate has been suggested to be about 50 bucks per hour , or a daily booking rate has been discussed. We have discussed possibly having the ship available for the daily slot with prior RSVP required. Would 150 dollars for the daily rate be acceptable for most clubs or commercial operations?
> Old Bob, The Purist

That seems very fair bordering on cheap. If you think of a private owner insuring, storing, maintaining a -24 that easily $2500/year even with cheap or free trailer storage. At 100 hours (which is way more than most private owners actually do) that's $250/hour. The age old adage about if it flies... or... or... it's cheaper to rent applies here. :-)

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<unno17$2j5so$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34734&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34734

From: greg-arnold@cox.net (Greg Arnold)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:41:26 -0800
 by: Greg Arnold - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:41 UTC

On 1/10/2024 7:20 PM, Papa3 wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 7:33:54 AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> TCSC has an ASW24B added to the fleet for members to rent and explore XC soaring. Members are going through a intense checkout prior to flying the ship. Emphasis is placed on the CG hook take off characteristics, most of our pilots have no CG experience on takeoff.
>> Our rental rate has been suggested to be about 50 bucks per hour , or a daily booking rate has been discussed. We have discussed possibly having the ship available for the daily slot with prior RSVP required. Would 150 dollars for the daily rate be acceptable for most clubs or commercial operations?
>> Old Bob, The Purist

> That seems very fair bordering on cheap. If you think of a private owner insuring, storing, maintaining a -24 that easily $2500/year even with cheap or free trailer storage. At 100 hours (which is way more than most private owners actually do) that's $250/hour. The age old adage about if it flies... or... or... it's cheaper to rent applies here. :-)

Williams Soaring has two AW24s for rent. Assuming their webpage is
up-to-date, the rental rate is presently $50/hour.

https://www.williamssoaring.com/airport-rates.html

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<876d4d29-d5bf-491a-b6e9-88b7a4813d27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34735&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34735

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:54:55 -0800 (PST)
From: charliedm.iii@gmail.com (Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot))
 by: Charlie M. (UH, Pi & - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:54 UTC

On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 10:20:33 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 7:33:54 AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > TCSC has an ASW24B added to the fleet for members to rent and explore XC soaring. Members are going through a intense checkout prior to flying the ship. Emphasis is placed on the CG hook take off characteristics, most of our pilots have no CG experience on takeoff.
> > Our rental rate has been suggested to be about 50 bucks per hour , or a daily booking rate has been discussed. We have discussed possibly having the ship available for the daily slot with prior RSVP required. Would 150 dollars for the daily rate be acceptable for most clubs or commercial operations?
> > Old Bob, The Purist
> That seems very fair bordering on cheap. If you think of a private owner insuring, storing, maintaining a -24 that easily $2500/year even with cheap or free trailer storage. At 100 hours (which is way more than most private owners actually do) that's $250/hour. The age old adage about if it flies.... or... or... it's cheaper to rent applies here. :-)

Check your math.....the number is $25/hr.
The last 2 seasons I did over 110hrs/season in Hanks -24e, but that also includes contests.
As to $150/day, sounds reasonable. Does OBTP have any guesses on how much the -24 would get used? Has there been any interest in it yet? Interest would be part of what a daily rate would be.

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<unnql8$2s4ur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34736&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34736

From: eric@flyguy.netto (Eric G)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:26:15 -0800
 by: Eric G - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:26 UTC

Old Bob's original post did not show up in my eternal-september RAS. Is that happening to
everyone? I did see three posts on the subject: Papa3, Arnold, and Charlie.
Eric G

On 1/10/2024 7:20 PM, Papa3 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 7:33:54 AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> TCSC has an ASW24B added to the fleet for members to rent and explore XC soaring. Members are going through a intense checkout prior to flying the ship. Emphasis is placed on the CG hook take off characteristics, most of our pilots have no CG experience on takeoff.
>> Our rental rate has been suggested to be about 50 bucks per hour , or a daily booking rate has been discussed. We have discussed possibly having the ship available for the daily slot with prior RSVP required. Would 150 dollars for the daily rate be acceptable for most clubs or commercial operations?
>> Old Bob, The Purist
>
> That seems very fair bordering on cheap. If you think of a private owner insuring, storing, maintaining a -24 that easily $2500/year even with cheap or free trailer storage. At 100 hours (which is way more than most private owners actually do) that's $250/hour. The age old adage about if it flies... or... or... it's cheaper to rent applies here. :-)

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<unnrt3$2sbdh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34737&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34737

From: elijah@ad7zj.net (GliderWobble)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:47:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GliderWobble - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:47 UTC

Same here, his original post did not show up. He really is getting filtered
by eternal September it seems.

On 1/10/24 9:26 PM, Eric G wrote:
>Old Bob's original post did not show up in my eternal-september RAS. Is that happening to
>everyone? I did see three posts on the subject: Papa3, Arnold, and Charlie.
>Eric G
>
>On 1/10/2024 7:20 PM, Papa3 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 7:33:54AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> TCSC has an ASW24B added to the fleet for members to rent and explore XC soaring. Members are going through a intense checkout prior to flying the ship. Emphasis is placed on the CG hook take off characteristics, most of our pilots have no CG experience on takeoff.
>>> Our rental rate has been suggested to be about 50 bucks per hour , or a daily booking rate has been discussed. We have discussed possibly having the ship available for the daily slot with prior RSVP required. Would 150 dollars for the daily rate be acceptable for most clubs or commercial operations?
>>> Old Bob, The Purist
>>
>> That seems very fair bordering on cheap. If you think of a private owner insuring, storing, maintaining a -24 that easily $2500/year even with cheap or free trailer storage. At 100 hours (which is way more than most private owners actually do) that's $250/hour. The age old adage about if it flies... or... or... it's cheaper to rent applies here. :-)

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<unosg0$30tql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34738&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34738

From: eric@flyguy.netto (Eric G)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:03:41 -0800
 by: Eric G - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:03 UTC

On 1/11/2024 5:20 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 11:47:36 PM UTC-5, GliderWobble wrote:
>> Same here, his original post did not show up. He really is getting filtered
>> by eternal September it seems.
>> On 1/10/24 9:26 PM, Eric G wrote:
>>> Old Bob's original post did not show up in my eternal-september RAS. Is that happening to
>>> everyone? I did see three posts on the subject: Papa3, Arnold, and Charlie.
>>> Eric G

> It's a conspiracy, the motorglider Grinch is going to all efforts to keep me silent, news for Grinch, something new is coming and will blow the socks off any soaring forum out there. Now about the ASW24 the ship will hopefully be flown frequently, many have shown interest and I have given several cockpit checks to potential pilots. I also recently purchased a Std. Cirrus for getting members to transition into fiberglass, hopefully both ship will be utilized and create more interest into XC soaring which is our goal. We have decided on a rental rate of 50 bucks per hour or a three hour minimum of 145 dollars. The 145 dollar rate would be the so called daily rate which will promote more XC soaring for potential new pilots to discover XC soaring.
> Recovering insurance cost is a priority for the first year, hopefully utilization will increase and we can turn the asset into a positive cash flow. If any followers are in Florida for the winter you are certainly invited to join us at TCSC for the fun and festivities at X52, we even let motorgliders fly off the strip, but you cannot go to the front of the line. Old Bob, The Purist
This post did appear in my e-s RAS feed. Bob, did you post this in a different manner than
your original post?

Why is the Std Cirrus being used for transitioning to fiberglass? The ASW24 is safer and
easier to fly than the Std Cirrus, so I suggest it be the "transition" glider. The only
advantages I see for the Cirrus is lower purchase price and wider cockpit.

If this "blow your socks off" event is going to happen this year, why aren't we being told
what it is? People are making decisions now for buying instruments and gliders, and they
will be rightfully upset if knowing what's coming would significantly affect their current
choices.

So, what is this "socks off" event? If you are not allowed to say, why are you saying
anything at all?

Eric G

Re: ASW24B Rental Rate ?

<unp1s2$31ls9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=34739&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34739

From: tim@newportpeace.co.uk (Tim Newport-Peace)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:35:30 +0000
 by: Tim Newport-Peace - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:35 UTC

On 11/01/2024 04:47, GliderWobble wrote:
> Same here, his original post did not show up. He really is getting filtered
> by eternal September it seems.
> On 1/10/24 9:26 PM, Eric G wrote:
>> Old Bob's original post did not show up in my eternal-september RAS.
>> Is that happening to everyone? I did see three posts on the subject:
>> Papa3, Arnold, and Charlie.
>> Eric G
I did see that there was a post today from OBTP on
Eternal-September.org, but it was expired before I could read it.

At a guess he was blaming Motorglider pilots for silencing him.