Old programmers never die, they just become managers.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Re: electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short period of time

SubjectAuthor
* electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short periodohg...@gmail.com
`- electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short periodJohn Robertson

1
Re: electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short period of time

<613e2367-3b09-4b98-8c07-339ec61890b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3628&group=sci.electronics.repair#3628

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:20:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short period
of time
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:20 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 10:11:58 PM UTC-5, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:48:20 PM UTC-5, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

> I haven't done any real testing Sam, but just spitballing I'd guess that the more the Sunbeam is used, the faster it becomes inert. So, if run at lower temp settings, less heat/time will be supplied by the blanket and the longer it will last (?). I suspect it's decline is not linear, so keeping the temp down by half may quadruple the life..
>
> At least that's my theory and we'll see how this new Sunbeam mattress pad holds up. We had two blankets before this heated pad (both Sunbeam) and both went *very* weak before being replaced. Neither showed any error code at the controller nor went completely cold, so neither suffered a broken wire anywhere. But even at level ten they barely got warm.
>
> This new Sunbeam heated mattress pad we picked up last fall will be used no more than a max of 4 out of 10 (no preheat which does a level 10 for 30 min).

As long as the thread has been resurrected, let me report that the new Sunbeam mattress pad we got when I posted in 2017 lasted three seasons when it wouldn't be warm enough even at 10.

We replaced it with a Beautyrest mattress pad, and we are finishing up our third winter with it. On a scale of 0-20, we preheat at 10 about half hour before we go to bed, and I put it on 3 to sleep. So far, I don't notice *any* loss of heating capability with the Beautyrest as I did with repeated Sunbeam products (at least three maybe four all told), which slowly seemed to go inert.

So the Beautyrest seems to be a far better product at least by my small sample.

Re: electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short period of time

<tvj916$1h6m5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3629&group=sci.electronics.repair#3629

From: jrr@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
of time
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:30:30 -0700
 by: John Robertson - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 04:30 UTC

On 2023/03/23 10:20 a.m., ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 10:11:58 PM UTC-5, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:48:20 PM UTC-5, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
>
>> I haven't done any real testing Sam, but just spitballing I'd guess that the more the Sunbeam is used, the faster it becomes inert. So, if run at lower temp settings, less heat/time will be supplied by the blanket and the longer it will last (?). I suspect it's decline is not linear, so keeping the temp down by half may quadruple the life..
>>
>> At least that's my theory and we'll see how this new Sunbeam mattress pad holds up. We had two blankets before this heated pad (both Sunbeam) and both went *very* weak before being replaced. Neither showed any error code at the controller nor went completely cold, so neither suffered a broken wire anywhere. But even at level ten they barely got warm.
>>
>> This new Sunbeam heated mattress pad we picked up last fall will be used no more than a max of 4 out of 10 (no preheat which does a level 10 for 30 min).
>
> As long as the thread has been resurrected, let me report that the new Sunbeam mattress pad we got when I posted in 2017 lasted three seasons when it wouldn't be warm enough even at 10.
>
> We replaced it with a Beautyrest mattress pad, and we are finishing up our third winter with it. On a scale of 0-20, we preheat at 10 about half hour before we go to bed, and I put it on 3 to sleep. So far, I don't notice *any* loss of heating capability with the Beautyrest as I did with repeated Sunbeam products (at least three maybe four all told), which slowly seemed to go inert.
>
> So the Beautyrest seems to be a far better product at least by my small sample.

I had a heated waterbed for about fifteen years - that was great!
Never had any trouble with the heating element, but then it was buried
under the mattress on wood side of the water isolation bag and not
subject to stress from sleepers or folks being more active than sleeping.
Now we have a down comforter which feels warm in about twenty
seconds...and the room is kept to around 17C (roughly 62F) for the night.
John :-#)#