From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Over-voltage protection
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:11:25 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:11 UTC

Hi all,

I have a Yaesu FT857 transceiver which requires a nominal supply of
13.8VDC. I accidentally fed it with 30VDC and something went 'phut'
after about 60 seconds and there was a whisp of smoke. Nothing too
dramatic, but it no longer works. I'd forgotten it has an on-off
switch which doesn't entirely isolate the supply. The thing was
switched off at the time this happened so whatever's burned-up must
have still been connected internally despite that.
I'm guessing this radio will have some kind of over-voltage protection
built in, but how is this protection typically implemented? Is there
anything to particularly look for?

-CD

Re: Over-voltage protection

<k8bdv1FgkjpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3641&group=sci.electronics.repair#3641

From: reinhard.zwirner@t-online.de (Reinhard Zwirner)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Over-voltage protection
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:33:22 +0200
 by: Reinhard Zwirner - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:33 UTC

Cursitor Doom schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Yaesu FT857 transceiver which requires a nominal supply of
> 13.8VDC. I accidentally fed it with 30VDC and something went 'phut'
> after about 60 seconds and there was a whisp of smoke. Nothing too
> dramatic, but it no longer works. I'd forgotten it has an on-off
> switch which doesn't entirely isolate the supply. The thing was
> switched off at the time this happened so whatever's burned-up must
> have still been connected internally despite that.
> I'm guessing this radio will have some kind of over-voltage protection
> built in, but how is this protection typically implemented? Is there
> anything to particularly look for?

In any case,

here <https://elektrotanya.com/yaesu_ft-857_sm.pdf/download.html>

you can download the manual.

HTH

Reinhard

Re: Over-voltage protection

<d2l22ipr8gfv8q5bavgvai6mi48ra63rsi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3644&group=sci.electronics.repair#3644

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 09:32:33 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:32 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:33:22 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner
<reinhard.zwirner@t-online.de> wrote:

>Cursitor Doom schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Yaesu FT857 transceiver which requires a nominal supply of
>> 13.8VDC. I accidentally fed it with 30VDC and something went 'phut'
>> after about 60 seconds and there was a whisp of smoke. Nothing too
>> dramatic, but it no longer works. I'd forgotten it has an on-off
>> switch which doesn't entirely isolate the supply. The thing was
>> switched off at the time this happened so whatever's burned-up must
>> have still been connected internally despite that.
>> I'm guessing this radio will have some kind of over-voltage protection
>> built in, but how is this protection typically implemented? Is there
>> anything to particularly look for?
>
>In any case,
>
>here <https://elektrotanya.com/yaesu_ft-857_sm.pdf/download.html>
>
>you can download the manual.
>
>HTH
>
>Reinhard

Yeah, thanks for that.
I had one of those 'iightbulb moments' at 3am: a crowbar! Can't think
why I'd overlooked that. Just hope the damn thing had a fuse in the
power lead!