<lilo> Fairlight: udp is the light margarine of tcp/ip transport protocols :) -- Seen on #Linux

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

SubjectAuthor
* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedvjp2.at
+* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedAllodoxaphobia
|`* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedvjp2.at
| `* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedBertrand Sindri
|  `* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedPeter W.
|   `* Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedvjp2.at
|    `- Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedMichael Terrell
`- Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarisedBertrand Sindri

1
Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<u0n77c$2pn$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3676&group=sci.electronics.repair#3676

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:40:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:40 UTC

Do they make wall receptacles where one is non-polarised and the other
poalrised?

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<slrnu2ug8h.s.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3680&group=sci.electronics.repair#3680

From: trepidation@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: 6 Apr 2023 22:00:49 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 22:00 UTC

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:40:28 -0000 (UTC), vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> Do they make wall receptacles where one is non-polarised and the other
> poalrised?

You can make one.
Just plug one of the two ground holes with some contrasting
colored caulk -- so the next fool knows it was done on purpose.

WTH? Sure sounds like a troll.

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<u0njus$2c4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3682&group=sci.electronics.repair#3682

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 23:17:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 23:17 UTC

In <slrnu2ug8h.s.trepidation@vps.jonz.net> by Allodoxaphobia <trepidation@example.net> on Thu, 06 Apr 2023 18:00:49 we perused:
*+-On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:40:28 -0000 (UTC), vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
*+->
*+-> Do they make wall receptacles where one is non-polarised and the other
*+-> poalrised?

*+-You can make one.
*+-Just plug one of the two ground holes with some contrasting
*+-colored caulk -- so the next fool knows it was done on purpose.

*+-WTH? Sure sounds like a troll.

The old outlets had both prongs the same width

now one is wider

Nothing about the ground

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<HyKXL.2268651$vBI8.74787@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3685&group=sci.electronics.repair#3685

From: bertrand.sindri@yahoo.com (Bertrand Sindri)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 01:43:03 GMT
 by: Bertrand Sindri - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 01:43 UTC

vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Do they make wall receptacles where one is non-polarised and the other
> poalrised?

No. Most likely because doing so would likely be an electrical code
violationn. I believe (at least for the US) the electrical code requires
all new and upgraded receptacles to be polarized.

Just install a polarized receptacle. It is 100% backwards compatible with
non-polarized plugs, with the added advantage of also being 100% forward
compatible with all polarized plugs.

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<5BKXL.2268652$vBI8.2092762@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3686&group=sci.electronics.repair#3686

From: bertrand.sindri@yahoo.com (Bertrand Sindri)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 01:45:37 GMT
 by: Bertrand Sindri - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 01:45 UTC

vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> In <slrnu2ug8h.s.trepidation@vps.jonz.net> by Allodoxaphobia
> <trepidation@example.net> on Thu, 06 Apr 2023 18:00:49 we perused:
> The old outlets had both prongs the same width
>
> now one is wider

Yes, that's how the 'polarized' plugs work. By also making one plug
tang wider you can only insert a polarized plug into a proper polarized
receptacle.

If you can plug a polarized plug into a non-polarized receptacle, then
you can defeat the safety advantage offered by the polarized plugs.

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<1078ad36-e4d8-4432-af15-bffb738f921en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3695&group=sci.electronics.repair#3695

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:25:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwieck33@gmail.com (Peter W.)
 by: Peter W. - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:25 UTC

> If you can plug a polarized plug into a non-polarized receptacle, then
> you can defeat the safety advantage offered by the polarized plugs.

NEMA receptacles (1-15P) for polarized plugs have been around since the late 1920s when the concept of 120/240 AC systems was fully described. We have them in some old wiring in our house. NP (1-15) receptacles exist for situations where the polarity of the receptacle cannot be predicted - such as DC circuits, and 'back-panel' receptacles in devices such are clock-radios that might be plugged into the wall either way. Many more contemporary audio devices used NP receptacles in the back (especially tube stuff) rather than polarized as they sometimes hummed less if plugged in one way rather than another.

Polarized *receptacles* offer 'safety advantages' only if they are correctly wired.
Polarized *plugs* offer safety advantages again, only if they are properly wired and the device is functioning properly.

These distinctions are lost on our Non-North American friends. After all, it was all pretty much invented here, and the rest of the world benefitted by not having to make the same mistakes we did in the beginning. Nor are they living with 110 year-old wiring as we are (1913). It is perfectly fine, by the way, and called "knob and tube". It has also been inspected by our insurance company and passed without a peep.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Wall receptable with both polarized and non-polarised

<u2409t$732$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3697&group=sci.electronics.repair#3697

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 19:18:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 19:18 UTC

Wow, thank you. Exactly the answer I wanted.

[...]

<512916fd-2a87-4e96-934e-f2f0ae399e62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3716&group=sci.electronics.repair#3716

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 02:09:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell.michael.a@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Sun, 7 May 2023 09:09 UTC

On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 3:18:25 PM UTC-4, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Wow, thank you. Exactly the answer I wanted.
>

> *+- NEMA receptacles (1-15P) for polarized plugs have been around since the late 1920s when the concept of 120/240 AC systems was fully described. We have them in some old wiring in our house. NP (1-15) receptacles exist for situations where the polarity of the receptacle cannot be predicted - such as DC circuits, and 'back-panel' receptacles in devices such are clock-radios that might be plugged into the wall either way. Many more contemporary audio devices used NP receptacles in the back (especially tube stuff) rather than polarized as they sometimes hummed less if plugged in one way rather than another.
>
> *+-Polarized *receptacles* offer 'safety advantages' only if they are correctly wired.
> *+-Polarized *plugs* offer safety advantages again, only if they are properly wired and the device is functioning properly.
>
> *+-These distinctions are lost on our Non-North American friends. After all, it was all pretty much invented here, and the rest of the world benefited by not having to make the same mistakes we did in the beginning. Nor are they living with 110 year-old wiring as we are (1913). It is perfectly fine, by the way, and called "knob and tube". It has also been inspected by our insurance company and passed without a peep.
>
> *+-Peter Wieck
> *+-Melrose Park, PA

It is often forgotten, but Thomas Edison used 110/220 in his DC system. 110 was used for lighting, 220 was to power motors and heaters. It was simple to convert a business or home's wiring from DC to AC, by simply changing the feed to the building.

We added a bedroom to my parent's home in the early '60s, and Polarized outlets were already in use.