1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.

SubjectAuthor
* PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.Hank Bernbaum
`* PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.Rayner Lucas
 `- PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.Allodoxaphobia

1
Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.

<d03d14b6-ffa8-4086-a98a-8725ec9394bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3805&group=sci.electronics.repair#3805

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.
From: lhbernbaum@gmail.com (Hank Bernbaum)
 by: Hank Bernbaum - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 01:43 UTC

On Saturday, May 27, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kurtis Bahr wrote:
> There is a spike suspression device on the board right after the fuse. If the
> unit got a spike it shorts out. The symbol looks kind of like a diode. If it
> is shorted then clip one lead and it will work fine. You'll need to replace it
> if you want to have this cheap type of spike suspression for the future.
> Kurtis
> RG2 wrote:
> > Hello,
> > A friend of mine just gave me his old laserdisc player , that stopped
> > working a year ago. when you plug it to the wall outlet, and press the ON
> > button. nothing happens. i opened it up and saw that the fuse was blown..
> > It uses a 2A 125V , 5x20mm glass fuse( but i found that it had a 2A 250V
> > fuse put in place). i went to radioshack and didn't find a 2A 125V fuse , so
> > i bought four 2A 250V. after putting the new fuse in place i proceded to
> > connect the AC cord to the AC wall outlet, and as soon as i plug it in, the
> > fuse Blows up. i tried the rest of my 2A 250V fuses that i had left. and
> > they all blew up as soon as i pluged the AC cord. i looked around the board
> > and didn't see anything that looked burned. does anyone have an idea what
> > could be causing the fuses to blow up. or do i have to necessarily get a 2A
> > 125V fuse, instead of a 2A 250V one?
> >
> > Pioneer Laserdisc Player,
> > Model # CLD-59
> > Manufactured: May 1995
Kurtis, your name keeps coming up regarding old Pioneer Elite Laser Disc Players. I read your advice about cutting the lead for the Varactor diode on the power board of CLD-59 player. I have one of those and just tried to use it but found it wouldn't power on. Checked the onboard fuse which was blown. Removed the power board and unsoldered the Varactor Diode. Would like to know where to purchase a new diode and the specifics as to what I'm looking for (specs of the diode). The one I've removed is black with a yellow stripe on one end and has markings that say KIV 420. Suggestions would be much appreciated. I've gone to the Digikey web site but just don't know what I'm looking for.
Also, any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement fuse?
Thank you.

Hank

Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.

<MPG.3f0a370a3d9f46019896bb@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3810&group=sci.electronics.repair#3810

From: usenet202101@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:14:23 +0100
 by: Rayner Lucas - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 13:14 UTC

In article <d03d14b6-ffa8-4086-a98a-8725ec9394bfn@googlegroups.com>,
lhbernbaum@gmail.com says...

> On Saturday, May 27, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kurtis Bahr wrote:
> > There is a spike suspression device on the board right after the
> > fuse. If the unit got a spike it shorts out. The symbol looks kind
> > of like a diode. If it is shorted then clip one lead and it will
> > work fine. You'll need to replace it if you want to have this cheap
> > type of spike suspression for the future.

> Kurtis, your name keeps coming up regarding old Pioneer Elite Laser
> Disc Players. I read your advice about cutting the lead for the
> Varactor diode on the power board of CLD-59 player. I have one of
> those and just tried to use it but found it wouldn't power on. Checked
> the onboard fuse which was blown. Removed the power board and
> unsoldered the Varactor Diode. Would like to know where to purchase a
> new diode and the specifics as to what I'm looking for (specs of
> thediode). The one I've removed is black with a yellow stripe on one
> end and has markings that say KIV 420. Suggestions would be much
> appreciated. I've gone to the Digikey web site but just don't know
> what I'm looking for.
> Also, any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement fuse? Thank
> you.

I don't know if Kurtis is still reading the group, but in the absence of
his expertise I'd suggest getting hold of the service manual, which
should include a full list of components. As laserdisc players are long
out of production and somewhat uncommon, it seems a wise investment to
spend a few bucks on making sure you get it right (and it'll mean you're
well prepared if it ever needs fixing again in future).

ServiceManuals.net claims to have it as a PDF download:
https://www.servicemanuals.net/en/PIONEER-CLD59-Service-Manual

And StereoManuals.com has a reasonably-priced printed version:
https://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/pioneer/pioneer_manuals_cld_xx.htm

The fuse is likely to be readily available from any good component
supplier. Measure its dimensions and check the metal end caps for
identification markings. If there aren't any, the service manual will
probably tell you what it should be. Get a spare while you're at it,
just in case it happens again (but if the fuse blows again almost
immediately, don't keep replacing it without checking for additional
problems with either the power source or the player itself).

Good luck!

Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.

<slrnua35v1.12vu.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3812&group=sci.electronics.repair#3812

From: trepidation@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: 2 Jul 2023 15:29:37 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 15:29 UTC

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:14:23 +0100, Rayner Lucas wrote:
> In article <d03d14b6-ffa8-4086-a98a-8725ec9394bfn@googlegroups.com>,
> lhbernbaum@gmail.com says...
>> On Saturday, May 27, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kurtis Bahr wrote:
>> > There is a spike suspression device on the board right after the
>> > fuse. If the unit got a spike it shorts out. The symbol looks kind
>> > of like a diode. If it is shorted then clip one lead and it will
>> > work fine. You'll need to replace it if you want to have this cheap
>> > type of spike suspression for the future.
>
>> Kurtis, your name keeps coming up regarding old Pioneer Elite Laser
>> Disc Players. I read your advice about cutting the lead for the
>> Varactor diode on the power board of CLD-59 player. I have one of
>> those and just tried to use it but found it wouldn't power on. Checked
>> the onboard fuse which was blown. Removed the power board and
>> unsoldered the Varactor Diode. Would like to know where to purchase a
>> new diode and the specifics as to what I'm looking for (specs of
>> thediode). The one I've removed is black with a yellow stripe on one
>> end and has markings that say KIV 420. Suggestions would be much
>> appreciated. I've gone to the Digikey web site but just don't know
>> what I'm looking for.
>> Also, any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement fuse? Thank
>> you.
>
> I don't know if Kurtis is still reading the group, ...

After TWENTY THREE YEARS?!? Ya think?!?