I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!

tech / sci.logic / Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Linz's proofs.Ross Finlayson
`* Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinabilityolcott
 `* Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski UndefinabilityRichard Damon
  `* Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinabilityolcott
   `- Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski UndefinabilityRichard Damon

1
Re: Linz's proofs.

<HOCdnWeiGZ0SFEb4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3811&group=sci.logic#3811

Subject: Re: Linz's proofs.
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
From: ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:40:04 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:40 UTC

On 02/25/2024 04:42 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 24/02/24 18:46, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>>> I have never read this sentence, it sounds like something he made up,
>>> and I definitely haven't been indoctrinated to believe it. Nonetheless
>>> the halting problem is obviously unsolvable.
>>
>> Consider a source-book like "approximation algorithms for NP-hard
>> problems". Now, NP-hard problems would require NP resources,
>> which for example, in the resource of time, might not exist.
>> Yet, approximation algorithms both get a bunch of results,
>> and, asymptotically solve the thing.
>>
>> So, is it solvable? Or maybe intractable?
>>
>> Now, there are some crossed wires in Olcott's approach it seems,
>> but some here like maybe "an AI mind that thinks as well as
>> anybody", might be thoroughly having excluded "ex falso quodlibet",
>> and have arrived at various reasons why "almost all" programs
>> can have computed "Halts".
>>
>> Otherwise, how about framing the entire thing, "Not-Halts"?
>>
>> This is just to encourage you to not "give up" when things
>> are practically intractable, when for example practicality
>> is more that "it must be tracted" than "it's not tractable".
>>
>> Leafing through "Lecture 17", I would suggest that there
>> is a class of computing algorithms from analog computing,
>> "quantum" computing these days, or what results "surface
>> acoustic wave transducer" or these sorts notions of the
>> analog computer or quantum computer or as what results
>> from various notions of the free-form 3-D IC, that I would
>> suggest, that the free-form 3-D IC, offers a class of models
>> of computing indeed _beyond_, the Universal Turing Machine.
>>

> Of course there are many useful approximations to the halting problem.
> However, if you think the entire argument with Peter Olcott is about
> whether approximate solutions can be useful, you must be very new to the
> group. He believes it has not been proven unsolvable.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability

<urg368$20tot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3812&group=sci.logic#3812

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:07:50 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:07 UTC

On 2/25/2024 12:40 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> [...]
>>> analog computer or quantum computer or as what results
>>> from various notions of the free-form 3-D IC, that I would
>>> suggest, that the free-form 3-D IC, offers a class of models
>>> of computing indeed _beyond_, the Universal Turing Machine.
>>>

>> Of course there are many useful approximations to the halting problem.
>> However, if you think the entire argument with Peter Olcott is about
>> whether approximate solutions can be useful, you must be very new to the
>> group. He believes it has not been proven unsolvable.
>>

> It seems to follow that "Olcott's Obstinance" is a situation
> where lower in his fundamentals, he picked some opinion of
> "regularity", "the ordinary", "closed", and so ultimately
> he ultimately arrives at where induction won't carry him,
> so he balks, because deduction isn't available that he
> cross the bridge, this analytical bridge, over the
> inductive impasse, where induction carried him off "forever",
> deduction (or, induction the other way...) would arrive
> as from "always", and instead of the "meeting in the middle",
> the analytically and deductively established, "middle of
> nowhere", now a center of things, that he's sort of stick
> in the middle of what is a "pons asinorum", "bridge of fools",
> i.e. "a bridge that fools can't cross", and has upset his
> cart and demands others turn around so not to observe
> the spectacle.
>
> So, "truth-values", are, where maybe Kleene and Lukasiewcz,
> is who you'd point to when "true and/or false isn't enough",
> there's introduced for "T" and "F", then "U", for unknown
> or un-evaluable, getting into, the "multi-valent", in logic,
> multivalent or multi-valent, multi-valued, vis-a-vis the
> existence only of "T" and nowhere the existence of "F",
> that all and everywhere in this constructivist's idyll,
> reason results for any abstract context that each relation
> indicates its existence either "T" or "F" then all the
> relations "F" disappear, resulting only "T".
>
> I'd like to, ..., "help", him, because it's on his own
> volition that that he tits-for-tats, which just results
> a sort of, "i-a", but he would sort of have to revise
> his "body of knowledge" to make it, "scientific", with
> regards to the philosophy of science, and, falsifiability
> of theories, and, that theories are only at best not
> falsified, vis-a-vis the ultimately strong theory of
> logic and mathematics together, the mathematical models,
> then here the mental models of mathematical models as
> a, "mental science", here with regards to theorists,
> like Tarski, Kleene, and Lukasiewicz.
>
> I.e. he seems stuck at the middle of the bridge with
> Goedel and Tarski there but he doesn't quite have
> their attention as they would confirm him along his way.
>
> Olcott, you're missing out some things, and you're not
> helping yourself. Yet, it doesn't take much, to right
> the cart.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability

<urg736$3s35h$15@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3818&group=sci.logic#3818

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:14:31 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:14 UTC

On 2/25/24 2:07 PM, olcott wrote:

> It is not that I am missing anything at all it is that logicians
> are totally missing the slightest inkling of the actual philosophical
> foundation of analytical truth.
>
> They mistake their own ignorance of the foundation of analytical
> truth for my ignorance of the rules of logic.
>
> Richard is doing better than most by reverse-engineering the
> architecture of my design of a decider that does not get stuck
> on epistemological antinomies:
>
> On 2/23/2024 9:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> > Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
> > "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
> >
> > That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
> >
> > It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>
> Richard does not understand that the above architecture
> refutes the Tarski Undefinability theorem that is anchored
> in the Liar Paradox.

Nope, you have conceeded that you method doesn't work since you can't
tell me what Boolean True(L, x) returns when x is defines as:

In L, x := ~(Boolean True(L, x))

Until you answer that, you have conceeded that you failed.

Of course:

If Boolean True(L, x) returns true, then x is the equivalent of ~true,
or false, and thus you have that True(L, false) is true, which is wrong, or

If Boolean True(L, x) returns false, then x is the equivalent of ~false,
or true, and thus you have that True(L, true) is false, which is also wrong.

You have the problem that the existance of a Truth Predicate not only
creates an Epistemological Antinomy, but a Truth-Bearing Epistemological
Antinomy, which rather than not having a truth value, has both the
values True and False at the same time.

This breaks the logic system.

The only way to get around this is to abandon two-valued logic, which
would put you out of the reach of most of the formal proofs you dislike,
but means you need to decide which version of multi-valued logic you are
going to try to use, or try to invent your one.

Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability

<urg85n$22063$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3820&group=sci.logic#3820

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:32:54 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:32 UTC

On 2/25/2024 2:14 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 2/25/24 2:07 PM, olcott wrote:
>
>> It is not that I am missing anything at all it is that logicians
>> are totally missing the slightest inkling of the actual philosophical
>> foundation of analytical truth.
>>
>> They mistake their own ignorance of the foundation of analytical
>> truth for my ignorance of the rules of logic.
>>
>> Richard is doing better than most by reverse-engineering the
>> architecture of my design of a decider that does not get stuck
>> on epistemological antinomies:

>>  > Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
>>  > "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>>  >
>>  > That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>>  >
>>  > It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>>
>> Richard does not understand that the above architecture
>> refutes the Tarski Undefinability theorem that is anchored
>> in the Liar Paradox.
>>

> Nope, you have conceeded that you method doesn't work since you can't
> tell me what Boolean True(L, x) returns when x is defines as:
>
> In L, x := ~(Boolean True(L, x))
>
> Until you answer that, you have conceeded that you failed.

I am conceding that you keep having the same syntax error.

You already know that True(L, x) rejects every epistemological
antinomy thus trying to create one that is not rejected
is defined to be fruitless.

Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability

<urg934$3s35i$3@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3821&group=sci.logic#3821

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:48:36 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:48 UTC

On 2/25/24 3:32 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 2:14 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>> On 2/25/24 2:07 PM, olcott wrote:
>>
>>> It is not that I am missing anything at all it is that logicians
>>> are totally missing the slightest inkling of the actual philosophical
>>> foundation of analytical truth.
>>>
>>> They mistake their own ignorance of the foundation of analytical
>>> truth for my ignorance of the rules of logic.
>>>
>>> Richard is doing better than most by reverse-engineering the
>>> architecture of my design of a decider that does not get stuck
>>> on epistemological antinomies:
>>>
>>> On 2/23/2024 9:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>>>  > Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
>>>  > "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>>>  >
>>>  > That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>>>  >
>>>  > It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>>>
>>> Richard does not understand that the above architecture
>>> refutes the Tarski Undefinability theorem that is anchored
>>> in the Liar Paradox.
>>>

>> Nope, you have conceeded that you method doesn't work since you can't
>> tell me what Boolean True(L, x) returns when x is defines as:
>>
>> In L, x := ~(Boolean True(L, x))
>>
>> Until you answer that, you have conceeded that you failed.
>>

> I am conceding that you keep having the same syntax error.
>
> You already know that True(L, x) rejects every epistemological
> antinomy thus trying to create one that is not rejected
> is defined to be fruitless.

WHAT "Syntax Error". If your "Boolean True(L,x)" can't be used in an
expression, it isn't a Predicate, and you are proven to be a liar, and
stupid.

And, I guess you give up!! As you won't give the needed answer.

or, what value?

Remember, the Predicate MUST answer, which is the problem.

You are just proving your total ignorance of how logic system work.

And that you are too stupid to learn from being corrected on your errors.

tech / sci.logic / Re: Linz's proofs and Tarski Undefinability