From: none@no.com (Saunderlin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Sonybond removal suggestions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:41:59 -0400
 by: Saunderlin - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:41 UTC

I am about to start repairs on a Kenwood ham radio that originally used
Sonybond to secure several of its VCOs. The main VCO has become
unstable and voltage exists within the Sonybond to ground, so it has to
be removed.

Initial recommendations from years past suggested carefully scraping or
cutting away miniscule pieces until none remained all the while
carefully preserving circuit components. Since the process is long and
tedious, I wonder if any better ways have been developed for removing
this stuff and preserving components? Thank you.

Re: Sonybond removal suggestions

<1NeuZL=KNtxa1Zs26rtB4UxXXWre@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3840&group=sci.electronics.repair#3840

From: chuck23@dejanews.net (Chuck)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Sonybond removal suggestions
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:43:01 -0500
 by: Chuck - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:43 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:41:59 -0400, Saunderlin <none@no.com> wrote:

>I am about to start repairs on a Kenwood ham radio that originally used
>Sonybond to secure several of its VCOs. The main VCO has become
>unstable and voltage exists within the Sonybond to ground, so it has to
>be removed.
>
>Initial recommendations from years past suggested carefully scraping or
>cutting away miniscule pieces until none remained all the while
>carefully preserving circuit components. Since the process is long and
>tedious, I wonder if any better ways have been developed for removing
>this stuff and preserving components? Thank you.
Once the bond turns brown, scraping is the only way I know.

Re: Sonybond removal suggestions

<343vai5khib5sg8evmbcadqf43j6m5bv83@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3845&group=sci.electronics.repair#3845

From: charlie@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:54:20 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:54 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:41:59 -0400, Saunderlin <none@no.com> wrote as
underneath :

>I am about to start repairs on a Kenwood ham radio that originally used
>Sonybond to secure several of its VCOs. The main VCO has become
>unstable and voltage exists within the Sonybond to ground, so it has to
>be removed.
>
>Initial recommendations from years past suggested carefully scraping or
>cutting away miniscule pieces until none remained all the while
>carefully preserving circuit components. Since the process is long and
>tedious, I wonder if any better ways have been developed for removing
>this stuff and preserving components? Thank you.

The type (there are two types apparently) that I had in a radio and had
gone conductive - I managed partially to dissolve ie soften with
Silicone sealant remover (a Beaufix product I had in the garage IIRC).
The remover wants to dry out so to stop this soak the brown stuff then
cover with clingfilm for 24 hours, pull off with fine tweezers what you
can, then repeat the treatment once or twice more. Slow and fiddly as
hell but it got there in the end.
No other solvents I tried would even touch it, and I tried a bundle.
Might be worth a try.. C+

Re: Sonybond removal suggestions

<2a52867c-08e0-47da-bef2-628610570992n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3916&group=sci.electronics.repair#3916

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 06:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: JERONI.PAUL@terra.es (Jeroni Paul)
 by: Jeroni Paul - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 13:57 UTC

Saunderlin wrote:
> I am about to start repairs on a Kenwood ham radio that originally used
> Sonybond to secure several of its VCOs. The main VCO has become
> unstable and voltage exists within the Sonybond to ground, so it has to
> be removed.
>
> Initial recommendations from years past suggested carefully scraping or
> cutting away miniscule pieces until none remained all the while
> carefully preserving circuit components. Since the process is long and
> tedious, I wonder if any better ways have been developed for removing
> this stuff and preserving components? Thank you.

In one case even scraping/cleaning it did not fix the issue, apparently the board had absorbed some bond and was slightly conductive by itself. I ended up doing some mod to the circuit to reduce its sensitivity.

It was a board with a power amplifier IC and a power transistor used to cut power to the IC when in stand-by. It had a small transistor to drive the base of the big one and resulted in so much gain that some microamperes leaked through the sonybond kept both transistors turned on causing noises through the speakers when in stand-by. I was tempted to remove the small transistor because the driving signal had more than enough current to drive the power transistor directly (then I would have had to invert it somehow), but it was enough to add a pull down resistor to overcome the sonybond leak.