Sex, Drugs & Linux Rules -- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi

tech / sci.electronics.repair / LG LED TV white spots

SubjectAuthor
* LG LED TV white spotshubops
+* LG LED TV white spotsCharlie+
`* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
 `* LG LED TV white spotshubops
  `* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
   `* LG LED TV white spotshubops
    `* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
     `* LG LED TV white spotshubops
      `* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
       `* LG LED TV white spotshubops
        `* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
         `* LG LED TV white spotshubops
          `* LG LED TV white spotsohg...@gmail.com
           +* LG LED TV white spotshubops
           |`- LG LED TV white spotsthree_jeeps
           `- LG LED TV white spotsthree_jeeps

1
LG LED TV white spots

<3miraippmlgii604mcd4dmg0li1eg8noa1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3836&group=sci.electronics.repair#3836

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: LG LED TV white spots
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:35:38 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:35 UTC

Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
42 inch LG LED TV

LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015

Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
.. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
to energy saving settings
to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<buhsail8fposjqpdgu232r7qn0jiln2j6e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3837&group=sci.electronics.repair#3837

From: charlie@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LG LED TV white spots
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:34:01 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 06:34 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:35:38 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote as
underneath :

>Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
>42 inch LG LED TV
>
> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
>
>Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
>seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
>to energy saving settings
>to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
>from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
> John T.

From experience a dark LED is much less noticible/ annoying than bright.
Apart from a new TV and assuming the bright LEDs are permanent and
unmoving - try blocking them out with the finest permanant marker you
can get. You can always reverse out with some meths.. C+

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<574tailss120tp1oc8db14e72bjemjgqv9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3838&group=sci.electronics.repair#3838

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:51:12 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:51 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:34:01 +0100, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:35:38 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote as
>underneath :
>
>>Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
>> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
>>42 inch LG LED TV
>>
>> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
>>
>>Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
>>seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
>> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
>>to energy saving settings
>>to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
>> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
>>from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
>> John T.
>
>From experience a dark LED is much less noticible/ annoying than bright.
>Apart from a new TV and assuming the bright LEDs are permanent and
>unmoving - try blocking them out with the finest permanant marker you
>can get. You can always reverse out with some meths.. C+

Thanks for your reply.
The white spots are ~ 2 inches in diameter and look
like the TVs in the youtube videos that have had the
lenses / diffusers fall off. It would be nice to have a way
to confirm this diagnosis before an attempt at DIY repair.

This video shows the guy tipping the TV side-to-side
and listening for the lenses sliding around -
I'll try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5s0KttNX0

Any other tips or advice from someone who has done this
is appreciated.
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<o6etaidp08170pqsa5pp8idvvvk6ng24co@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3839&group=sci.electronics.repair#3839

From: charlie@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:34:23 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:34 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:51:12 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote as
underneath :

>On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:34:01 +0100, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:35:38 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote as
>>underneath :
>>
>>>Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
>>> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
>>>42 inch LG LED TV
>>>
>>> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
>>>
>>>Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
>>>seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
>>> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
>>>to energy saving settings
>>>to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
>>> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
>>>from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
>>> John T.
>>
>>From experience a dark LED is much less noticible/ annoying than bright.
>>Apart from a new TV and assuming the bright LEDs are permanent and
>>unmoving - try blocking them out with the finest permanant marker you
>>can get. You can always reverse out with some meths.. C+
>

> Thanks for your reply.
>The white spots are ~ 2 inches in diameter and look
>like the TVs in the youtube videos that have had the
>lenses / diffusers fall off. It would be nice to have a way
>to confirm this diagnosis before an attempt at DIY repair.
>
>This video shows the guy tipping the TV side-to-side
>and listening for the lenses sliding around -
> I'll try that.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5s0KttNX0
>
>Any other tips or advice from someone who has done this
> is appreciated.
> John T.

Ahh Ok J T wrong answer completely! So its a mechanical fix not an LED
problem at all! Sorry .. C+

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<cd0116ad-7c5f-4769-bc62-cceddc4ee22dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3841&group=sci.electronics.repair#3841

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:58 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 5:35:43 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
> 42 inch LG LED TV
>
> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
>
> Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
> seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
> to energy saving settings
> to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
> from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
> John T.

Very common - these drop lens. You have to remove the screen and pick up the leds and glue them back in position. The position is more critical on these than most types. These use the top hat type lens instead of the dome type. With the back light on, glue the lens directly over the LED die or you'll get hot spots on the screen. By the time you get the screen apart, you'll probably discover more have fallen off just from moving the TV around..

You'll have to stabilize the other ones that are still in place because the UV light from the LEDs embrittle the adhesive. I use clear RTV and put a tiny drop on each and every lens. You may find that when you touch the RTV to the lens, the lens may displace or fall off. If so, recenter it properly.

If you like the TV and plan to keep it for years, then a better option is buy a set of LED strips with the attached lens and replace everything behind the screen. More money but you won't have to worry about lens alignment or LEDs that might fail in the future.

This series is also an LED killer, so when you're done, lower the back light adjustment, particularly if you're just resetting lens'.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<vvutaih0kav53uuj30qk8smr1705h2b323@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3842&group=sci.electronics.repair#3842

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:23:08 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:23 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:58:03 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 5:35:43?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
>> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
>> 42 inch LG LED TV
>>
>> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
>>
>> Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
>> seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
>> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
>> to energy saving settings
>> to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
>> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
>> from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
>> John T.
>
>Very common - these drop lens. You have to remove the screen and pick up the leds and glue them back in position. The position is more critical on these than most types. These use the top hat type lens instead of the dome type. With the back light on, glue the lens directly over the LED die or you'll get hot spots on the screen. By the time you get the screen apart, you'll probably discover more have fallen off just from moving the TV around.
>
>You'll have to stabilize the other ones that are still in place because the UV light from the LEDs embrittle the adhesive. I use clear RTV and put a tiny drop on each and every lens. You may find that when you touch the RTV to the lens, the lens may displace or fall off. If so, recenter it properly.
>
>If you like the TV and plan to keep it for years, then a better option is buy a set of LED strips with the attached lens and replace everything behind the screen. More money but you won't have to worry about lens alignment or LEDs that might fail in the future.
>
>This series is also an LED killer, so when you're done, lower the back light adjustment, particularly if you're just resetting lens'.

Thanks for your reply.
I had to look-up RTV - I would have used epoxy.
Do you also RTV to re-attach the fallen lenses as well as
to secure the still-attached lenses ?

RTV as in this product :

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b-weld-clear-rtv-sealant-3-oz-0383793p.0383793.html?rq=rtv#srp

Or is there a specialty product that you are referring to ?

John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<002174ea-5a36-46b2-b2a6-95db9e5150a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3843&group=sci.electronics.repair#3843

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:15 UTC

On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 3:23:14 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:58:03 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 5:35:43?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> >> Anyone with experience or helpful advice on this -
> >> 2 ~ bright / white spots have appeared on the screen of our
> >> 42 inch LG LED TV
> >>
> >> LG 42LF5800 Sept. 2015
> >>
> >> Various google and youtube searches < as per usual >
> >> seem to lead into a rabbit hole of no return ...
> >> .. from cold re-starts to software / firmware updates
> >> to energy saving settings
> >> to pulling it apart and re-attaching the lenses on the LEDs ..
> >> I'm hoping to find a best-guess or diagnostic trick
> >> from someone who has been-there-done-that ..
> >> John T.
> >
> >Very common - these drop lens. You have to remove the screen and pick up the leds and glue them back in position. The position is more critical on these than most types. These use the top hat type lens instead of the dome type. With the back light on, glue the lens directly over the LED die or you'll get hot spots on the screen. By the time you get the screen apart, you'll probably discover more have fallen off just from moving the TV around.
> >
> >You'll have to stabilize the other ones that are still in place because the UV light from the LEDs embrittle the adhesive. I use clear RTV and put a tiny drop on each and every lens. You may find that when you touch the RTV to the lens, the lens may displace or fall off. If so, recenter it properly.
> >
> >If you like the TV and plan to keep it for years, then a better option is buy a set of LED strips with the attached lens and replace everything behind the screen. More money but you won't have to worry about lens alignment or LEDs that might fail in the future.
> >
> >This series is also an LED killer, so when you're done, lower the back light adjustment, particularly if you're just resetting lens'.
> Thanks for your reply.
> I had to look-up RTV - I would have used epoxy.
> Do you also RTV to re-attach the fallen lenses as well as
> to secure the still-attached lenses ?
>
> RTV as in this product :
>
> https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b-weld-clear-rtv-sealant-3-oz-0383793p.0383793.html?rq=rtv#srp
>
> Or is there a specialty product that you are referring to ?
>
> John T.

I use the RTV because there's no significant strength required, it's clear so it doesn't cast a shadow from the lens, and it's easily reversible if you should make an alignment error placing the lens or run into an open LED in the future. Other than that, use whatever you're comfortable with with gluing down the wayward lens and tacking down the lens' that haven't fallen off yet..

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<pf4uaih9l2fjr82vjmn8d7vu51munjuroi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3844&group=sci.electronics.repair#3844

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:51:09 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:51 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 3:23:14?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:58:03 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
>> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Very common - these drop lens. You have to remove the screen and pick up the leds and glue them back in position. The position is more critical on these than most types. These use the top hat type lens instead of the dome type. With the back light on, glue the lens directly over the LED die or you'll get hot spots on the screen. By the time you get the screen apart, you'll probably discover more have fallen off just from moving the TV around.
>> >
>> >You'll have to stabilize the other ones that are still in place because the UV light from the LEDs embrittle the adhesive. I use clear RTV and put a tiny drop on each and every lens. You may find that when you touch the RTV to the lens, the lens may displace or fall off. If so, recenter it properly.
>> >
>> >If you like the TV and plan to keep it for years, then a better option is buy a set of LED strips with the attached lens and replace everything behind the screen. More money but you won't have to worry about lens alignment or LEDs that might fail in the future.
>> >
>> >This series is also an LED killer, so when you're done, lower the back light adjustment, particularly if you're just resetting lens'.
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I had to look-up RTV - I would have used epoxy.
>> Do you also RTV to re-attach the fallen lenses as well as
>> to secure the still-attached lenses ?
>>
>> RTV as in this product :
>>
>> https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b-weld-clear-rtv-sealant-3-oz-0383793p.0383793.html?rq=rtv#srp
>>
>> Or is there a specialty product that you are referring to ?
>>
>> John T.
>
>I use the RTV because there's no significant strength required, it's clear so it doesn't cast a shadow from the lens, and it's easily reversible if you should make an alignment error placing the lens or run into an open LED in the future. Other than that, use whatever you're comfortable with with gluing down the wayward lens and tacking down the lens' that haven't fallen off yet..

OK Thanks again.
I'll probably be getting at it next week - fingers crossed.
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<4dad4bff-121f-4210-83c0-7745dbe43206n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3846&group=sci.electronics.repair#3846

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:09 UTC

On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 4:51:14 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 3:23:14?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >> Thanks for your reply.
> >> I had to look-up RTV - I would have used epoxy.
> >> Do you also RTV to re-attach the fallen lenses as well as
> >> to secure the still-attached lenses ?
> >>
> >> RTV as in this product :
> >>
> >> https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b-weld-clear-rtv-sealant-3-oz-0383793p.0383793.html?rq=rtv#srp
> >>
> >> Or is there a specialty product that you are referring to ?
> >>
> >> John T.
> >
> >I use the RTV because there's no significant strength required, it's clear so it doesn't cast a shadow from the lens, and it's easily reversible if you should make an alignment error placing the lens or run into an open LED in the future. Other than that, use whatever you're comfortable with with gluing down the wayward lens and tacking down the lens' that haven't fallen off yet..
> OK Thanks again.
> I'll probably be getting at it next week - fingers crossed.
> John T.

Be careful handling the display. Out of the frame, they are exceptionally fragile. Most first timers make almost the same mistake when laying the display back down in the plastic guides. Check, then double check the four corners and make sure the display is nestled *inside and below* the corner guides. If the display is sitting the tiniest bit up on one of the guides, the display will crack when you install the outer mask.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<mtt2bi1ug7tb2hdjl6ce85h2ng4gjknlbl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3847&group=sci.electronics.repair#3847

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:31:17 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:31 UTC

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:09:09 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 4:51:14?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:15:21 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
>> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I use the RTV because there's no significant strength required, it's clear so it doesn't cast a shadow from the lens, and it's easily reversible if you should make an alignment error placing the lens or run into an open LED in the future. Other than that, use whatever you're comfortable with with gluing down the wayward lens and tacking down the lens' that haven't fallen off yet..
>> OK Thanks again.
>> I'll probably be getting at it next week - fingers crossed.
>> John T.
>
>Be careful handling the display. Out of the frame, they are exceptionally fragile. Most first timers make almost the same mistake when laying the display back down in the plastic guides. Check, then double check the four corners and make sure the display is nestled *inside and below* the corner guides. If the display is sitting the tiniest bit up on one of the guides, the display will crack when you install the outer mask.

Thanks !
One of the youtube videos that I watched ended with that very thing
- cracked display - he didn't elaborate on exactly how it happened
but it was in the re-assembly ..
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<a7c7b366-b5e4-4810-9124-27855c75ca29n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3851&group=sci.electronics.repair#3851

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:56:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56 UTC

On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 12:31:23 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:09:09 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 4:51:14?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >> OK Thanks again.
> >> I'll probably be getting at it next week - fingers crossed.
> >> John T.
> >
> >Be careful handling the display. Out of the frame, they are exceptionally fragile. Most first timers make almost the same mistake when laying the display back down in the plastic guides. Check, then double check the four corners and make sure the display is nestled *inside and below* the corner guides. If the display is sitting the tiniest bit up on one of the guides, the display will crack when you install the outer mask.
> Thanks !
> One of the youtube videos that I watched ended with that very thing
> - cracked display - he didn't elaborate on exactly how it happened
> but it was in the re-assembly ..
> John T.

He probably didn't know what happened. Some TVs have a mm or more clearance on each of the 8 corner guides and the display settles in nicely between the plastic corner guides. Some TVs have less than a mm and it's easy to get the edge of one corner of the display sitting on top of the plastic guide - and it's not easy to see. Once the outer mask goes in it just nips the display and it cracks like a windshield. I always triple check the corners with my fingers to ensure the display is sitting below grade. Last week I had a Samsung where I could not get all four corners to sit down below grade at the same time - BTW, use a suction cup to gently move the display around. What happened was the metal pan chassis was racked a bit into a very slight parallelogram figure instead of a rectangle. I removed the display, picked up the chassis, flexed it a few times, and put it back down on the bench. This time the display went in. If it didn't, my next plan was to relieve some of the plastic guide with a Dremel to provide more clearance which I've done a dozen times or more on some TVs.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<j1udbi5dn9hcpvvof9lq5jv6g8ukul20ns@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3852&group=sci.electronics.repair#3852

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
References: <3miraippmlgii604mcd4dmg0li1eg8noa1@4ax.com> <cd0116ad-7c5f-4769-bc62-cceddc4ee22dn@googlegroups.com> <vvutaih0kav53uuj30qk8smr1705h2b323@4ax.com> <002174ea-5a36-46b2-b2a6-95db9e5150a2n@googlegroups.com> <pf4uaih9l2fjr82vjmn8d7vu51munjuroi@4ax.com> <4dad4bff-121f-4210-83c0-7745dbe43206n@googlegroups.com> <mtt2bi1ug7tb2hdjl6ce85h2ng4gjknlbl@4ax.com> <a7c7b366-b5e4-4810-9124-27855c75ca29n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:06:39 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 21:06 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:56:37 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 12:31:23?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:09:09 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
>> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Be careful handling the display. Out of the frame, they are exceptionally fragile. Most first timers make almost the same mistake when laying the display back down in the plastic guides. Check, then double check the four corners and make sure the display is nestled *inside and below* the corner guides. If the display is sitting the tiniest bit up on one of the guides, the display will crack when you install the outer mask.
>> Thanks !
>> One of the youtube videos that I watched ended with that very thing
>> - cracked display - he didn't elaborate on exactly how it happened
>> but it was in the re-assembly ..
>> John T.
>
>He probably didn't know what happened. Some TVs have a mm or more clearance on each of the 8 corner guides and the display settles in nicely between the plastic corner guides. Some TVs have less than a mm and it's easy to get the edge of one corner of the display sitting on top of the plastic guide - and it's not easy to see. Once the outer mask goes in it just nips the display and it cracks like a windshield. I always triple check the corners with my fingers to ensure the display is sitting below grade. Last week I had a Samsung where I could not get all four corners to sit down below grade at the same time - BTW, use a suction cup to gently move the display around. What happened was the metal pan chassis was racked a bit into a very slight parallelogram figure instead of a rectangle. I removed the display, picked up the chassis, flexed it a few times, and put it back down on the bench. This time the display went in. If it didn't, my next plan was to relieve some of the
>plastic guide with a Dremel to provide more clearance which I've done a dozen times or more on some TVs.

I stumbled on this guy's video - and used his procedure -
which avoids the over-handling of the display -
he leaves the display on the table and lifts away the TV !
- have a watch and critique - I don't see a downside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMJCxDfm0k

His TV has 4 raised bolt-mounts that allowed him to simply
flip the TV over, once the back was removed, and the circuit boards
were not touching the table - my TV only had 2 of those - but
luckily - my wall-mount brackets provided 2 bolts that I used
for the other 2 points - as elevators ..

My dis-assembly went OK - a couple of sneaky screws holding
the back cover on ; and a little extra persuasion
was required on the corners - when un-clipping the TV body
from the display frame.
I had 2 lenses that had fallen off and found 2 more
that came off with just a slight wiggle.
I'm waiting for the silicone to set and then re-assembly.
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<4e53aea7-89e5-484d-99e5-3d6658f49f69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3854&group=sci.electronics.repair#3854

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 13:55 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:56:37 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 12:31:23?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >> Thanks !
> >> One of the youtube videos that I watched ended with that very thing
> >> - cracked display - he didn't elaborate on exactly how it happened
> >> but it was in the re-assembly ..
> >> John T.
> >
> >He probably didn't know what happened. Some TVs have a mm or more clearance on each of the 8 corner guides and the display settles in nicely between the plastic corner guides. Some TVs have less than a mm and it's easy to get the edge of one corner of the display sitting on top of the plastic guide - and it's not easy to see. Once the outer mask goes in it just nips the display and it cracks like a windshield. I always triple check the corners with my fingers to ensure the display is sitting below grade. Last week I had a Samsung where I could not get all four corners to sit down below grade at the same time - BTW, use a suction cup to gently move the display around. What happened was the metal pan chassis was racked a bit into a very slight parallelogram figure instead of a rectangle. I removed the display, picked up the chassis, flexed it a few times, and put it back down on the bench. This time the display went in. If it didn't, my next plan was to relieve some of the
> >plastic guide with a Dremel to provide more clearance which I've done a dozen times or more on some TVs.
> >
> I stumbled on this guy's video - and used his procedure -
> which avoids the over-handling of the display -
> he leaves the display on the table and lifts away the TV !
> - have a watch and critique - I don't see a downside.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMJCxDfm0k
>
> His TV has 4 raised bolt-mounts that allowed him to simply
> flip the TV over, once the back was removed, and the circuit boards
> were not touching the table - my TV only had 2 of those - but
> luckily - my wall-mount brackets provided 2 bolts that I used
> for the other 2 points - as elevators ..
>
> My dis-assembly went OK - a couple of sneaky screws holding
> the back cover on ; and a little extra persuasion
> was required on the corners - when un-clipping the TV body
> from the display frame.
> I had 2 lenses that had fallen off and found 2 more
> that came off with just a slight wiggle.
> I'm waiting for the silicone to set and then re-assembly.
> John T.

Some TVs (RCA Proscan) actually *require* the back pan to be lifted off the screen because the screen is bonded to the outer frame.

This guy got away with it this time (I assume, didn't watch the whole thing) but what can happen is that one corner of the screen can still be moved out of position from the frame guides because it's not bonded to it. If it slips a mm out of position, the display will crack when the pan is lowered into the frame. If you do it this way, what I would do first is to tape the screen to the outer mask before any disassembly with a good quality masking tape to try to avoid screen movement as much as possible.

His method does eliminate some screen stress (which isn't a problem if you're careful), but it's not worth the tradeoff to me because I can't see if the display is still nestled down between the plastic guides.

Hopefully, your reassembly will go well.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<g3tfbid91jvbv09ljo4br5odlugo6l0bl8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3855&group=sci.electronics.repair#3855

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
References: <cd0116ad-7c5f-4769-bc62-cceddc4ee22dn@googlegroups.com> <vvutaih0kav53uuj30qk8smr1705h2b323@4ax.com> <002174ea-5a36-46b2-b2a6-95db9e5150a2n@googlegroups.com> <pf4uaih9l2fjr82vjmn8d7vu51munjuroi@4ax.com> <4dad4bff-121f-4210-83c0-7745dbe43206n@googlegroups.com> <mtt2bi1ug7tb2hdjl6ce85h2ng4gjknlbl@4ax.com> <a7c7b366-b5e4-4810-9124-27855c75ca29n@googlegroups.com> <j1udbi5dn9hcpvvof9lq5jv6g8ukul20ns@4ax.com> <4e53aea7-89e5-484d-99e5-3d6658f49f69n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 10:39:17 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:55:57 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>This guy got away with it this time (I assume, didn't watch the whole thing) but what can happen is that one corner of the screen can still be moved out of position from the frame guides because it's not bonded to it. If it slips a mm out of position, the display will crack when the pan is lowered into the frame. If you do it this way, what I would do first is to tape the screen to the outer mask before any disassembly with a good quality masking tape to try to avoid screen movement as much as possible.
>
>His method does eliminate some screen stress (which isn't a problem if you're careful), but it's not worth the tradeoff to me because I can't see if the display is still nestled down between the plastic guides.
>
>Hopefully, your reassembly will go well.

Nope - cracked screen .. :-(
I think it happened just as you said - slight mis-alignment when
first re-installing the TV onto the screen + screen frame ...
I had to remove it and check things and re-installl .. but I'm
pretty sure that the damage was done.
Live & learn.
Thanks for your advice just the same.
John T.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: LG LED TV white spots

<b6cd2ef7-6de6-4336-928b-41c2df305b66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=sci.electronics.repair#3856

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 09:19:13 -0700 (PDT)
References: <cd0116ad-7c5f-4769-bc62-cceddc4ee22dn@googlegroups.com> <vvutaih0kav53uuj30qk8smr1705h2b323@4ax.com> <002174ea-5a36-46b2-b2a6-95db9e5150a2n@googlegroups.com> <pf4uaih9l2fjr82vjmn8d7vu51munjuroi@4ax.com> <4dad4bff-121f-4210-83c0-7745dbe43206n@googlegroups.com> <mtt2bi1ug7tb2hdjl6ce85h2ng4gjknlbl@4ax.com> <a7c7b366-b5e4-4810-9124-27855c75ca29n@googlegroups.com> <j1udbi5dn9hcpvvof9lq5jv6g8ukul20ns@4ax.com> <4e53aea7-89e5-484d-99e5-3d6658f49f69n@googlegroups.com> <g3tfbid91jvbv09ljo4br5odlugo6l0bl8@4ax.com>
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:19 UTC

On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 10:39:23 AM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail..com wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:55:57 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com"
> <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 5:06:44?PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >> I stumbled on this guy's video - and used his procedure -
> >> which avoids the over-handling of the display -
> >> he leaves the display on the table and lifts away the TV !
> >> - have a watch and critique - I don't see a downside.
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMJCxDfm0k
> >>
> >> His TV has 4 raised bolt-mounts that allowed him to simply
> >> flip the TV over, once the back was removed, and the circuit boards
> >> were not touching the table - my TV only had 2 of those - but
> >> luckily - my wall-mount brackets provided 2 bolts that I used
> >> for the other 2 points - as elevators ..
> >>
> >> My dis-assembly went OK - a couple of sneaky screws holding
> >> the back cover on ; and a little extra persuasion
> >> was required on the corners - when un-clipping the TV body
> >> from the display frame.
> >> I had 2 lenses that had fallen off and found 2 more
> >> that came off with just a slight wiggle.
> >> I'm waiting for the silicone to set and then re-assembly.
> >> John T.
> >
> >Some TVs (RCA Proscan) actually *require* the back pan to be lifted off the screen because the screen is bonded to the outer frame.
> >
> >This guy got away with it this time (I assume, didn't watch the whole thing) but what can happen is that one corner of the screen can still be moved out of position from the frame guides because it's not bonded to it. If it slips a mm out of position, the display will crack when the pan is lowered into the frame. If you do it this way, what I would do first is to tape the screen to the outer mask before any disassembly with a good quality masking tape to try to avoid screen movement as much as possible.
> >
> >His method does eliminate some screen stress (which isn't a problem if you're careful), but it's not worth the tradeoff to me because I can't see if the display is still nestled down between the plastic guides.
> >
> >Hopefully, your reassembly will go well.
> Nope - cracked screen .. :-(
> I think it happened just as you said - slight mis-alignment when
> first re-installing the TV onto the screen + screen frame ...
> I had to remove it and check things and re-installl .. but I'm
> pretty sure that the damage was done.
> Live & learn.
> Thanks for your advice just the same.
> John T.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: LG LED TV white spots

<fgoibil5ul0mdikhkonh3eme4q08cb3782@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=sci.electronics.repair#3857

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
References: <002174ea-5a36-46b2-b2a6-95db9e5150a2n@googlegroups.com> <pf4uaih9l2fjr82vjmn8d7vu51munjuroi@4ax.com> <4dad4bff-121f-4210-83c0-7745dbe43206n@googlegroups.com> <mtt2bi1ug7tb2hdjl6ce85h2ng4gjknlbl@4ax.com> <a7c7b366-b5e4-4810-9124-27855c75ca29n@googlegroups.com> <j1udbi5dn9hcpvvof9lq5jv6g8ukul20ns@4ax.com> <4e53aea7-89e5-484d-99e5-3d6658f49f69n@googlegroups.com> <g3tfbid91jvbv09ljo4br5odlugo6l0bl8@4ax.com> <b6cd2ef7-6de6-4336-928b-41c2df305b66n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:40:32 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:40 UTC

>Sorry it didn't work out.

I got the new Sony working - except for getting TV box remote
to work with it.
The new TV was quite-something - the initial setup involved a
series of " Terms and Conditions " from Master Google !
- inescapable, no option to opt out, sheeesh ..
It makes me afraid to use the TV's wifi !
John T.

Re: LG LED TV white spots

<12e9a0aa-27a1-49e6-b086-58c0f754d82cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3858&group=sci.electronics.repair#3858

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:40:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: jjhudak@gmail.com (three_jeeps)
 by: three_jeeps - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:40 UTC

<ca9eead1-677f-4c85-9c3e-563db7c45762n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3859&group=sci.electronics.repair#3859

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: jjhudak@gmail.com (three_jeeps)
 by: three_jeeps - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:55 UTC

On Thursday, July 20, 2023 at 12:40:38 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >Sorry it didn't work out.
> >
> I got the new Sony working - except for getting TV box remote
> to work with it.
> The new TV was quite-something - the initial setup involved a
> series of " Terms and Conditions " from Master Google !
> - inescapable, no option to opt out, sheeesh ..
> It makes me afraid to use the TV's wifi !
> John T.

The LG TV replacement I got for my Samsung had a similar terms and conditions section...actually, a number of them. It makes for interesting (and long) reading. For the LG, one basically gives LG the OK to do anything they want in terms of monitoring and harvesting data from your TV. IIRC, I was able to decline everything. Not sure how I'll handle sw updates. Probably on a usb stick. I was also able to turn off the WIFI. The only thing I have plugged into my tv is the Amazon firestick which I am sure they use to see what I watch on Netflix, but at least they arn't watching everything on my TV. A few years ago LG got slapped with some big fines for not disclosing what all they were harvesting from the TV so I'd like to think they cleaned up their act.

The whole TV connected to the net issue is bass-ackwards. The mfg position is that the TV will be plugged into the net (one way or another) and all the interfaces go through the manufactures software. Instead, it should be that the unit is not configured for the net and the user can choose to enable it initially, or disable it whenever they want.