There are three kinds of people: men, women, and unix.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier

SubjectAuthor
* lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifierRonald
`* lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifierroot
 `* lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifierAllodoxaphobia
  `- lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifierroot

1
Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier

<b7104096-4d93-4165-97f2-6fd11aeca998n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3977&group=sci.electronics.repair#3977

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier
From: ronaldbellis85@gmail.com (Ronald)
 by: Ronald - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 02:41 UTC

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 11:15:10 PM UTC-4, Shaun wrote:
> "Tim R" wrote in message
> I have an old and extremely heavy Onkyo stereo amplifier that I use in the
> basement in my workroom. I bought it years ago at a thrift shop and it's
> worked well for years.
>
> Now only one channel works. I've tried it on A and B speakers and mono,
> doesn't matter. Sound comes out of only one side.
>
> Is there anything simple this is likely to be, or is it time to set it out
> by the curb? (in my neighborhood nothing makes it to garbage day)
>
> There was a thunderstorm and power outage this week, but I'm not sure if it
> failed before or after.
> I've fixed my 5 channel Onkyo amplifier years ago; It was just cracked
> solder joints between the RCA connectors and the circuit board. I would
> suspect in your case that you may have a failed transistor or two. You have
> the other channel to compare the reading too. Remove the power transistors
> (mounted on heat sinks) and check them with an DMM on diode check, then
> compare them to the pair from the working side. It is probably worth the
> effort since Onkyo has a good name for mid quality Hi-Fi equipment. Then
> look on the internet for replacements or Substitutes and get a matched pair.
>
> Shaun
Only a m5160 other than what I've wrote to the military why would a amp play on both yet not just one both channels work just not at the same time simultaneously.. bull shit

Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier

<ubqph6$tsqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3978&group=sci.electronics.repair#3978

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:10:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:10 UTC

Ronald <ronaldbellis85@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 11:15:10???PM UTC-4, Shaun wrote:
>> "Tim R" wrote in message
>> I have an old and extremely heavy Onkyo stereo amplifier that I use in the
>> basement in my workroom. I bought it years ago at a thrift shop and it's
>> worked well for years.
>>
>> Now only one channel works. I've tried it on A and B speakers and mono,
>> doesn't matter. Sound comes out of only one side.
>>
>> Is there anything simple this is likely to be, or is it time to set it out
>> by the curb? (in my neighborhood nothing makes it to garbage day)
>>
>> There was a thunderstorm and power outage this week, but I'm not sure if it
>> failed before or after.
>> I've fixed my 5 channel Onkyo amplifier years ago; It was just cracked
>> solder joints between the RCA connectors and the circuit board. I would
>> suspect in your case that you may have a failed transistor or two. You have
>> the other channel to compare the reading too. Remove the power transistors
>> (mounted on heat sinks) and check them with an DMM on diode check, then
>> compare them to the pair from the working side. It is probably worth the
>> effort since Onkyo has a good name for mid quality Hi-Fi equipment. Then
>> look on the internet for replacements or Substitutes and get a matched pair.
>>
>> Shaun
> Only a m5160 other than what I've wrote to the military why would a amp play on both yet not just one both channels work just not at the same time simultaneously.. bull shit

I've had two Onkyo receivers in the past. Strange things happened with them such
as FM not working, one or the other channel would go out. In each case
I put the receiver on a shelf and bought another. The first time it happened
I had replaced the Onkyo with a newer Onkyo. After a while the new Onkyo
flaked out and I bought a Denon. Then for some reason I connected the
original Onkyo up and everything worked. After a while I tried the same
thing with the second Onkyo and it also worked. My conclusion is that
if you unplug the Onkyo and leave to so for several days it heals
itself.

YMMV

Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier

<slrnue1v6b.l5k.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3979&group=sci.electronics.repair#3979

From: trepidation@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: 19 Aug 2023 17:32:59 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:32 UTC

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:10:14 -0000 (UTC), root wrote:
> Ronald <ronaldbellis85@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 11:15:10???PM UTC-4, Shaun wrote:
>>> "Tim R" wrote in message
>>> I have an old and extremely heavy Onkyo stereo amplifier that I use in the
>>> basement in my workroom. I bought it years ago at a thrift shop and it's
>>> worked well for years.
>>>
>>> Now only one channel works. I've tried it on A and B speakers and mono,
>>> doesn't matter. Sound comes out of only one side.
>>>
>>> Is there anything simple this is likely to be, or is it time to set it out
>>> by the curb? (in my neighborhood nothing makes it to garbage day)
>>>
>>> There was a thunderstorm and power outage this week, but I'm not sure if it
>>> failed before or after.
>>> I've fixed my 5 channel Onkyo amplifier years ago; It was just cracked
>>> solder joints between the RCA connectors and the circuit board. I would
>>> suspect in your case that you may have a failed transistor or two. You have
>>> the other channel to compare the reading too. Remove the power transistors
>>> (mounted on heat sinks) and check them with an DMM on diode check, then
>>> compare them to the pair from the working side. It is probably worth the
>>> effort since Onkyo has a good name for mid quality Hi-Fi equipment. Then
>>> look on the internet for replacements or Substitutes and get a matched pair.
>>>
>>> Shaun
>> Only a m5160 other than what I've wrote to the military why would a
>> amp play on both yet not just one both channels work just not at the
>> same time simultaneously.. bull shit
>
> I've had two Onkyo receivers in the past. Strange things happened with them such
> as FM not working, one or the other channel would go out. In each case
> I put the receiver on a shelf and bought another. The first time it happened
> I had replaced the Onkyo with a newer Onkyo. After a while the new Onkyo
> flaked out and I bought a Denon. Then for some reason I connected the
> original Onkyo up and everything worked. After a while I tried the same
> thing with the second Onkyo and it also worked. My conclusion is that
> if you unplug the Onkyo and leave to so for several days it heals
> itself.

Since you're replying to a NINE-YEAR-OLD posting,
I'd bet the OP's problem is now solved.

Re: lost one channel on an old Onkyo amplifier

<ubrf9i$11cq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=3980&group=sci.electronics.repair#3980

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:21:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:21 UTC

> Since you're replying to a NINE-YEAR-OLD posting,
> I'd bet the OP's problem is now solved.

I'm here to help.