Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: Question about steel plates.
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 10:30:49 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Thu, 11 May 2023 14:30 UTC

Melon will put a 2 layer steel floor below the OLM, and the top layer
will have perforations to let water flow up like a shower head.

Would it be correct to state that the water would need to be at slightly
higher PSI than the pressiure exerted by the thrust of engines onto the
steel plates in order for water to flow out of the holes? If the water
is at insufficient pressure, it is the thrust exhaust that would flow
into the holes and push water back up to the pumps/tanks?

Considering the gazillions pounds of thrust generated by 33 Raptors, is
the PSI needed to push water up against thrust realistic?

Can such pressure be achieved with pumps? Or need to store water into
high pressure tank with liquid nitrogen to pressurize it?

If you have such high pressure inside the steel "floor" to ensure water
can counter pressure from engine thrust, is there a danger the steel
plates will simply come apart?

Re: Question about steel plates.

<mn.6d617e75ec365455.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4108&group=sci.space.policy#4108

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Question about steel plates.
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:57:21 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sun, 14 May 2023 05:57 UTC

On Thursday or thereabouts, JF Mezei declared ...
> Melon will put a 2 layer steel floor below the OLM, and the top layer
> will have perforations to let water flow up like a shower head.
>
> Would it be correct to state that the water would need to be at slightly
> higher PSI than the pressiure exerted by the thrust of engines onto the
> steel plates in order for water to flow out of the holes? If the water
> is at insufficient pressure, it is the thrust exhaust that would flow
> into the holes and push water back up to the pumps/tanks?
>
> Considering the gazillions pounds of thrust generated by 33 Raptors, is
> the PSI needed to push water up against thrust realistic?
>
> Can such pressure be achieved with pumps? Or need to store water into
> high pressure tank with liquid nitrogen to pressurize it?
>
> If you have such high pressure inside the steel "floor" to ensure water
> can counter pressure from engine thrust, is there a danger the steel
> plates will simply come apart?

I'm no mechanical or structural engineer, but steel has a very high
tensile strength.

Also, a fresh set of high pressure tanks has been spotted near the
launch site.

/dps

--
https://xkcd.com/2704