Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Sound on my new radio is muffled.
From: ohger1s@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:13 UTC

On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 1:42:07 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> I bought a $230 wifi radio that is impressive in many ways, but the
> problem I have is that the sound sounds muffled
>
> Maybe it's okay for music. I haven't listened to much music, but for
> talk it sounds muffled. Like literally they are talking through some
> sort of muffle. I don't have this problem with 5 other table radios.
>
> Is the problem that there is too much bass? If not that, what?
>
> It has equalizer settings so I changed from default and various kinds of
> music to "talk". I didnt' hear any change.
>
> So I went to custom, which has 6 frequency ranges, and over time, I've
> lowered the lowest 4 ranges to the minimum and raised the top one to the
> max, and the one in between almost to the max. This helped at first,
> but future changes were smaller and I didn't see addtional help.
>
> I can still understand if I make the sound one or two steps louder, but
> then it's louder than I want.
>
> Is there an audio ng that's not dormant that I can post too. alt.audio
> and alt.audio.pro had gone 3 years without posts.

There's always the possibility there's something wrong with your particular radio and this isn't a normal or adjustable condition. How are the reviews for that radio? Model number? I honestly think a lot of calibrations are for the lowest common denominator - people with no idea of accuracy but think loud one note "thumping" is quality sound...

Yeah, a lot of groups were polluted by political assholes and killed them off - the downside of no moderation.