Variables don't; constants aren't.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Electronic Part Identification Help

SubjectAuthor
* Electronic Part Identification HelpABLE1
+- Electronic Part Identification HelpKenW
+* Electronic Part Identification HelpMummyChunk
|`* Electronic Part Identification HelpABLE1
| +- Electronic Part Identification HelpWolfgang Allinger
| +* Electronic Part Identification HelpBobEngelhardt
| |`- Electronic Part Identification HelpKenW
| `* Electronic Part Identification Helpehsjr
|  `* Electronic Part Identification HelpABLE1
|   `- Electronic Part Identification Helpimmibis
`* Electronic Part Identification Helplegg
 `- Electronic Part Identification HelpABLE1

1
Electronic Part Identification Help

<q8IgN.90821$Wp_8.78523@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4582&group=sci.electronics.repair#4582

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: somebody@nowhere.com (ABLE1)
Subject: Electronic Part Identification Help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:29:09 -0500
 by: ABLE1 - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:29 UTC

Hello all,

I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................

Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning Strike
or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.

Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to 3/8"
diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
before the strike.

The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy suggestion for
those that want to assist!!

What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think that
is what it really is.

That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
out will do the fix.

And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.

Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.

This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!

Thanks,

Les

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<aul6oitr1p4e4kfceid0l9jo4cb3hv4v1u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4583&group=sci.electronics.repair#4583

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Electronic Part Identification Help
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:09:41 -0700
 by: KenW - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:09 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:29:09 -0500, ABLE1 <somebody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
>
>Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning Strike
>or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
>
>Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
>input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
>two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
>device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to 3/8"
>diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
>be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
>Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
>before the strike.
>
>The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy suggestion for
>those that want to assist!!
>
>What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
>fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think that
>is what it really is.
>
>That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
>searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
>out will do the fix.
>
>And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
>
>Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
>
>This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Les
Manufacture and model number would help.
In other words more information.

KenW

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<O7Kcnfj8x4jU-R74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4584&group=sci.electronics.repair#4584

From: mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:01:45 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:01 UTC

> ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
>
> Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning
Strike
> or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
>
> Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
> input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
> two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
> device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to
3/8"
> diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
> be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
> Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
> before the strike.
>
> The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy
suggestion for
> those that want to assist!!
>
> What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
> fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think
that
> is what it really is.
>
> That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
> searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
> out will do the fix.
>
> And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
>
> Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
>
> This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

Any photos to share?

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657617262#657617262

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<G6MgN.41016$JLvf.5776@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4585&group=sci.electronics.repair#4585

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: somebody@nowhere.com (ABLE1)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:00:20 -0500
 by: ABLE1 - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 01:00 UTC

On 12/20/2023 5:01 PM, MummyChunk wrote:

> > ABLE1 wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
> >
> > Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning
> Strike
> > or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
> >
> > Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
> > input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
> > two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
> > device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to
> 3/8"
> > diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
> > be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
> > Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
> > before the strike.
> >
> > The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy
> suggestion for
> > those that want to assist!!
> >
> > What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
> > fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think
> that
> > is what it really is.
> >
> > That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
> > searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
> > out will do the fix.
> >
> > And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
> >
> > Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
> >
> > This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Les
>
> Any photos to share?
>

> This is a response to the post seen at:
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657617262#657617262

Sorry the picture I have at this time is very dark. So the black
component is just a glob of black.
Thanks for the "jlaforums" link. Didn't know that existed or that
this newsgroup was transferred over.

As for the other question of manufacture or model number.
I would not think it would be necessary for the the question and
I would prefer not to divulge that info to the group. Won't help.

Thanks for the questions, sorry I can't provide more input.

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<GVIkl6dzQoB@allinger-307049.user.uni-berlin>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4586&group=sci.electronics.repair#4586

From: all2001@spambog.com (Wolfgang Allinger)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:35:00 -0300
 by: Wolfgang Allinger - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:35 UTC

On 20 Dec 23 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article G6MgN.41016$JLvf.5776@fx44.iad
<somebody@nowhere.com> (ABLE1) wrote:

> Sorry the picture I have at this time is very dark. So the black
> component is just a glob of black.
> Thanks for the "jlaforums" link. Didn't know that existed or that
> this newsgroup was transferred over.

It's not transferred, just copied for lurking, it's still in /sci/
electronics/repair

> As for the other question of manufacture or model number.
> I would not think it would be necessary for the the question and

Okay, you think, you don't want help!

> I would prefer not to divulge that info to the group. Won't help.

> Thanks for the questions, sorry I can't provide more input.

:(

so against my rules, some advice:

It seems these some kinda capacititors with an overvoltage protection.
verify, that they are between Phase and Neutral. If so, I'm right.

Then desolder them and check if your device is running or has more damage.

Obey the rules for working on hot lines or you will be killed!

You have a very small chance, that only the protection is killed.

Report your results

Saludos (an alle Vernünftigen, Rest sh. sig)
Wolfgang

--
Ich bin in Paraguay lebender Trollallergiker :) reply Adresse gesetzt!
Ich diskutiere zukünftig weniger mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen mich auf

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<um1fhh$13d5n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4587&group=sci.electronics.repair#4587

From: BobEngelhardt@comcast.net (BobEngelhardt)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:45:19 -0500
 by: BobEngelhardt - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:45 UTC

On 12/20/2023 8:00 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
[...]
> As for the other question of manufacture or model number.
> I would not think it would be necessary for the the question and
> I would prefer not to divulge that info to the group. Won't help.
[...]

W T F ??? That info is the very most useful for help with diagnosis.
And not divulging it - what, it's national security?

You "would not think it's necessary" & clearly you don't know shit, so
how would you know whether it's necessary?

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<4lh8oiltf51t0bl51ak0h4seudjb4d8j3f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4588&group=sci.electronics.repair#4588

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:07:42 -0700
 by: KenW - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:07 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:45:19 -0500, BobEngelhardt
<BobEngelhardt@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 12/20/2023 8:00 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>[...]
>> As for the other question of manufacture or model number.
>> I would not think it would be necessary for the the question and
>> I would prefer not to divulge that info to the group. Won't help.
>[...]
>
>W T F ??? That info is the very most useful for help with diagnosis.
>And not divulging it - what, it's national security?
>
>You "would not think it's necessary" & clearly you don't know shit, so
>how would you know whether it's necessary?
>
>+1

KenW

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<u3i8oi1vkpknp5bhb3kde9tudupa118gb3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4589&group=sci.electronics.repair#4589

From: legg@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:19:05 -0500
 by: legg - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:19 UTC

wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
>
>Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning Strike
>or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
>
>Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
>input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
>two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
>device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to 3/8"
>diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
>be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
>Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
>before the strike.
>
>The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy suggestion for
>those that want to assist!!
>
>What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
>fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think that
>is what it really is.
>
>That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
>searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
>out will do the fix.
>
>And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
>
>Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
>
>This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Les

The 'slot' is a crude spark gap, which may be discrete or
introduced to a ceramic capacitor's structure.

To allow downstream faultfinding, the unit will normally run
without them in place, while you search for a replacement part, .

RL

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<keYgN.7999$zqTf.3951@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4590&group=sci.electronics.repair#4590

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: somebody@nowhere.com (ABLE1)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:47:43 -0500
 by: ABLE1 - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:47 UTC

On 12/21/2023 9:19 AM, legg wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:29:09 -0500, ABLE1 <somebody@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
>>
>> Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning Strike
>> or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
>>
>> Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
>> input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
>> two(2) small components that smoked. I can't see any ID on the
>> device because of the strike. But, they are about 1/4" to 3/8"
>> diameter with a small open slot at the top end. The slot might
>> be .030" wide. Two terminals are soldered to the board.
>> Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
>> before the strike.
>>
>> The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy suggestion for
>> those that want to assist!!
>>
>> What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
>> fit this kind of component. Maybe a MOV?? But, I don't think that
>> is what it really is.
>>
>> That is where I need a little assist. It will help me do some
>> searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
>> out will do the fix.
>>
>> And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
>>
>> Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
>>
>> This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>
> The 'slot' is a crude spark gap, which may be discrete or
> introduced to a ceramic capacitor's structure.
>
> To allow downstream faultfinding, the unit will normally run
> without them in place, while you search for a replacement part, .
>
> RL

Thanks RL!!
That is the 'tiny bit' of info I needed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=SPARK-GAP+CERAMIC+CAPACITOR&_sacat=0

I need to define more but that is the start point that I couldn't place!

As for all the other comments............
As I said at the top: I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some.
Sorry to you all.

Thanks again RL!!

Have a good holiday season or what ever kind you desire!!

Les

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<um2igd$18p82$1@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4591&group=sci.electronics.repair#4591

From: ehsjr@verizon.net (ehsjr)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:42:04 -0500
 by: ehsjr - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:42 UTC

On 12/20/2023 8:00 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 12/20/2023 5:01 PM, MummyChunk wrote:
>>
>>   > ABLE1 wrote:
>>   > Hello all,
>>   >
>>   > I know this will be a bit of a PITA for some, but................
>>   >
>>   > Recently I had a electronic board that was hit by a Lightning
>> Strike
>>   > or voltage surge and things got a bit messy.
>>   >
>>   > Looking at the board where 120vac is connected just past the
>>   > input terminals and before the step-down transformer there are
>>   > two(2) small components that smoked.  I can't see any ID on the
>>   > device because of the strike.  But, they are about 1/4" to
>> 3/8"
>>   > diameter with a small open slot at the top end.  The slot might
>>   > be .030" wide.  Two terminals are soldered to the board.
>>   > Oh and the color of the component is black, which I think it was
>>   > before the strike.
>>   >
>>   > The open "slot" on the component should trigger a easy
>> suggestion for
>>   > those that want to assist!!
>>   >
>>   > What would be helpful for this 'old man' would be a name that would
>>   > fit this kind of component.  Maybe a MOV??   But, I don't think
>> that
>>   > is what it really is.
>>   >
>>   > That is where I need a little assist.  It will help me do some
>>   > searching to find a replacement component and see if just swapping
>>   > out will do the fix.
>>   >
>>   > And no, I don't have any schematics at this time.
>>   >
>>   > Again, just looking for a part name to begin my searching.
>>   >
>>   > This is just a hobby adventure for fun!!
>>   >
>>   > Thanks,
>>   >
>>   > Les
>>
>> Any photos to share?
>>
>> This is a response to the post seen at:
>> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657617262#657617262
>>

> Sorry the picture I have at this time is very dark.  So the black
> component is just a glob of black.
> Thanks for the "jlaforums" link.   Didn't know that existed or that
> this newsgroup was transferred over.
>
> As for the other question of manufacture or model number.
> I would not think it would be necessary for the the question and
> I would prefer not to divulge that info to the group. Won't help.

If you had posted that information, we could have answered
the question easily - but no, you had to be a PITA. Fortunately,
the part was found. It is critical to the operation of the
machine from which it comes - the Retro model of the
Rockwell Turbo Encabulator. The part in question is the
dingle arm. Good luck in finding one! Merry Christmas.
Ed

> Thanks for the questions, sorry I can't provide more input.

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<KpihN.56543$yEgf.41793@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4592&group=sci.electronics.repair#4592

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: somebody@nowhere.com (ABLE1)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:01:46 -0500
 by: ABLE1 - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:01 UTC

On 12/21/2023 6:42 PM, ehsjr wrote:
> If you had posted that information, we could have answered
> the question easily - but no, you had to be a PITA. Fortunately,
> the part was found. It is critical to the operation of the
> machine from which it comes - the Retro model of the
> Rockwell Turbo Encabulator. The part in question is the
> dingle arm.  Good luck in finding one! Merry Christmas.
> Ed
Hello again,

During these times of massive amounts of junk on the Newsgroups
with excessive un-readable crap like this:

LEGHISTA ARRESTATO LUCA SOSTEGNI SCAPPAVA A PORTO SEGURO

I would think that those that frequent this newsgroup would
somewhat enjoy the PITA posting for some electronic help.
Obviously I was only a little wrong. It was nice to receive
the small tidbit of needed information to assist me in
my endeavor!!

Thanks very much, I will now continue my search for the
Anatomic Nuclear Capacitor w/ .030" Butt Crack :-)

Have a good Holiday Season!!

Les

Re: Electronic Part Identification Help

<um4dj6$1kk82$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4593&group=sci.electronics.repair#4593

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:30:30 +0100
 by: immibis - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:30 UTC

On 12/22/23 17:01, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 12/21/2023 6:42 PM, ehsjr wrote:
>> If you had posted that information, we could have answered
>> the question easily - but no, you had to be a PITA. Fortunately,
>> the part was found. It is critical to the operation of the
>> machine from which it comes - the Retro model of the
>> Rockwell Turbo Encabulator. The part in question is the
>> dingle arm.  Good luck in finding one! Merry Christmas.
>> Ed
> Hello again,
>
> During these times of massive amounts of junk on the Newsgroups
> with excessive un-readable crap like this:
>
> LEGHISTA ARRESTATO LUCA SOSTEGNI SCAPPAVA A PORTO SEGURO
>
> I would think that those that frequent this newsgroup would
> somewhat enjoy the PITA posting for some electronic help.
> Obviously I was only a little wrong.  It was nice to receive
> the small tidbit of needed information to assist me in
> my endeavor!!
>
> Thanks very much, I will now continue my search for the
> Anatomic Nuclear Capacitor w/ .030" Butt Crack   :-)
>
> Have a good Holiday Season!!
>
> Les

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You're welcome to have a spam
filter if you want one.