From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: ECM 3.0 motor diagnostics
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 00:53:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 00:53 UTC

I've been given a non-starting blower motor that was said to be
faulty and replaced to the tune of about $1500. When I got
the motor on the bench, it passed a basic run test, starting
just fine and running steadily.

The motor apparently has some sort of serial port with Rx and Tx
pins, positive power and common terminals. The test procedure
merely connects 24 volts of 60 Hz AC between common and Rx,
whence the motor does a soft start and runs steadily, with
a slight hunt that is reasonable for a no-load condition.

Does anybody have info or docs which might let me do a
more thorough test, such as vary the speed or read back
data from the motor? The motor is simply marked

Genteq

ECM 3.0
GCO8
1/2 HP 120/240 V
5/20/2010 15 0006MC5

Letter O and numeral 0 look the same,
so the transcription might mix them.

There is a URL, thedealertoolbox.com, but I could find no
useful information. YouTube videos proved far more helpful.
The motor came out of a Carrier central HVAC
system which has been surprisingly troublesome.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: ECM 3.0 motor diagnostics

<umgtb2$3skdd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4599&group=sci.electronics.repair#4599

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: ECM 3.0 motor diagnostics
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:12:50 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:12 UTC

On 27/12/2023 00:53, bob prohaska wrote:
> I've been given a non-starting blower motor that was said to be
> faulty and replaced to the tune of about $1500. When I got
> the motor on the bench, it passed a basic run test, starting
> just fine and running steadily.
>
> The motor apparently has some sort of serial port with Rx and Tx
> pins, positive power and common terminals. The test procedure
> merely connects 24 volts of 60 Hz AC between common and Rx,
> whence the motor does a soft start and runs steadily, with
> a slight hunt that is reasonable for a no-load condition.
>
> Does anybody have info or docs which might let me do a
> more thorough test, such as vary the speed or read back
> data from the motor? The motor is simply marked
>
> Genteq
>
> ECM 3.0
> GCO8
> 1/2 HP 120/240 V
> 5/20/2010 15 0006MC5
>
> Letter O and numeral 0 look the same,
> so the transcription might mix them.
>
> There is a URL, thedealertoolbox.com, but I could find no
> useful information. YouTube videos proved far more helpful.
>
> The motor came out of a Carrier central HVAC
> system which has been surprisingly troublesome.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Anything here of use? Not sure if it applies to your motor or not:
<https://unitedhvacmotors.com/manual/>

--

Jeff

Re: ECM 3.0 motor diagnostics

<umho59$h9a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4601&group=sci.electronics.repair#4601

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:50:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:50 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 27/12/2023 00:53, bob prohaska wrote:
>> I've been given a non-starting blower motor that was said to be
>> faulty and replaced to the tune of about $1500. When I got
>> the motor on the bench, it passed a basic run test, starting
>> just fine and running steadily.
>>
>> Genteq
>>
>> ECM 3.0
>> GCO8
>> 1/2 HP 120/240 V
>> 5/20/2010 15 0006MC5
>>

> Anything here of use? Not sure if it applies to your motor or not:
> <https://unitedhvacmotors.com/manual/>

Not directly. The webpage refers to a motor standard called X13,
which I believe is different from ECM 3.0 though it may be functionally
the same, or at least similar.

The article did surprise me by saying to swap two of the
three-phase motor leads to change direction of rotation. I
thought surely that would be handled by software.

It would be useful to just find a connection scheme that let me
run the motor and vary the speed. If speed control works the
motor is at least good enough to be useful. Actually "talking"
to the motor via Rx and Tx would be instructive, however.

https://unitedhvacmotors.com/change-motor-speed/
makes reference to changing ECM speed, but only
by setting DIP switches on the furnace control
board. That's exactly what I don't have available.

Thanks for writing, I did learn a little more!

bob prohaska