From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Capacitor Terminals
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:08:39 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:08 UTC

This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?

https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<86o7c17rl5.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4733&group=sci.electronics.repair#4733

From: john@building-m.net (John)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Capacitor Terminals
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19:18 +0000
 by: John - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> writes:

> This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
> However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
> 5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
>

> https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw

A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
but it's what I'd guess.

john

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<ob9stitgiv6c0115i6a1rbpdvcoh6u0qd2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4734&group=sci.electronics.repair#4734

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:18:12 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:18 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19:18 +0000, John <john@building-m.net> wrote:

>Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> writes:
>
>> This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
>> However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
>> 5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
>>

>> https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
>
>A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
>with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
>look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
>but it's what I'd guess.

Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a
schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!

Here's a better picture of the markings:
https://disk.yandex.com/i/wwUt6kX-BjCAXg

And the just to the right of those, there's this:

051 55473
M HP 9420 :
40/085/56

Not sure if that helps at all or not!

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<1qplxc9.13a7k4b1xfha6eN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4735&group=sci.electronics.repair#4735

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:08:50 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:08 UTC

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
> However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
> 5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
>

> https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw

Three of them may be common negative, physically arranged to hold the
capacitor firmly on a PC board.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<qunsti1pj8u0mcp2t845pqjbfm5av3dic7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4736&group=sci.electronics.repair#4736

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:19:20 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:19 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:08:50 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>
>> This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
>> However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
>> 5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
>>

>> https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
>
>Three of them may be common negative, physically arranged to hold the
>capacitor firmly on a PC board.

I certainly hope so!

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<urlqaj$3f7n7$1@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4739&group=sci.electronics.repair#4739

From: ehsjr@verizon.net (ehsjr)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:13:21 -0500
 by: ehsjr - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:13 UTC

On 2/27/2024 1:18 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19:18 +0000, John <john@building-m.net> wrote:
>
>> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
>>> However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
>>> 5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
>>>

>>> https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
>>
>> A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
>> with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
>> look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
>> but it's what I'd guess.
>
> Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a
> schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!
>
> Here's a better picture of the markings:
> https://disk.yandex.com/i/wwUt6kX-BjCAXg
>
> And the just to the right of those, there's this:
>
> 051 55473
> M HP 9420 :
> 40/085/56
>
> Not sure if that helps at all or not!

Those "extra" pins are there to give it mechanical
mounting strength. Pins 1 and 5 are the electrical
connections - pins 2,3 and 4 give it additional
stability/strength.

Datasheet at:
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/12126.pdf

Ed

Re: Capacitor Terminals

<g91tti525grne0j6v9h7294v6nlhnet7gk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=4740&group=sci.electronics.repair#4740

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 00:58:52 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 00:58 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:13:21 -0500, ehsjr <ehsjr@verizon.net> wrote:

>On 2/27/2024 1:18 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
>>> with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
>>> look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
>>> but it's what I'd guess.
>>
>> Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a
>> schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!
>>
>> Here's a better picture of the markings:
>> https://disk.yandex.com/i/wwUt6kX-BjCAXg
>>
>> And the just to the right of those, there's this:
>>
>> 051 55473
>> M HP 9420 :
>> 40/085/56
>>
>> Not sure if that helps at all or not!
>>

>Those "extra" pins are there to give it mechanical
>mounting strength. Pins 1 and 5 are the electrical
>connections - pins 2,3 and 4 give it additional
>stability/strength.
>
>Datasheet at:
>https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/12126.pdf
>
>Ed

many thanks indeed for that, Ed (and good guess, Liz!)