"I've seen it. It's rubbish." -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

tech / alt.astronomy / Strangely Quiet !

SubjectAuthor
* Strangely Quiet !casagiannoni
`* Strangely Quiet !a425couple
 `* Strangely Quiet !casagiannoni
  `* Strangely Quiet !a425couple
   +* Strangely Quiet !Mark Earnest
   |`* Strangely Quiet !a425couple
   | `- Strangely Quiet ! - Many we just do not try to communicate witha425couple
   `* Strangely Quiet !Daniel65
    `* Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Waltona425couple
     +* Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and WaltonBarry Schwarz
     |`- Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and WaltonDaniel65
     `- Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and WaltonDaniel65

1
Strangely Quiet !

<kko98i1um73mmnefffc1paniq10flocs30@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5247&group=alt.astronomy#5247

From: casagiannoni@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Strangely Quiet !
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:54:05 -0400
 by: casagiannoni@optimum.net - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:54 UTC

Considering the vastness of space, even if the likelyhood of
intelligent species with radio transmission capability is very small,
then there is still likely to be many such transmissiions.

We're a good example.

Yet, apparently nothing.

Why ? !

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<BTHhM.23655$tol1.5036@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5249&group=alt.astronomy#5249

Subject: Re: Strangely Quiet !
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:40:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

On 6/10/23 13:54, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
> Considering the vastness of space, even if the likelyhood of
> intelligent species with radio transmission capability is very small,
> then there is still likely to be many such transmissiions.
>
> We're a good example.
>
> Yet, apparently nothing.
>
> Why ? !

Well, In the 200,000 or so years of human development
on our planet Earth, we reached a point of scientific
knowledge and use, where for communication among ourselves,
we put out very powerful radio signals. We continued
development, and communicated more and better with
gradually weaker and weaker signals. Over great
distances out signals are now lost in all the background
noise of stars.

Why should other very advanced civilizations need
to blast out very strong signals?

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<ovne8i13du0s770uapgn1b7r839d0jq2c6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5250&group=alt.astronomy#5250

From: casagiannoni@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:15:41 -0400
 by: casagiannoni@optimum.net - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:15 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:40:01 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/10/23 13:54, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
>> Considering the vastness of space, even if the likelyhood of
>> intelligent species with radio transmission capability is very small,
>> then there is still likely to be many such transmissiions.
>>
>> We're a good example.
>>
>> Yet, apparently nothing.
>>
>> Why ? !
>
>Well, In the 200,000 or so years of human development
>on our planet Earth, we reached a point of scientific
>knowledge and use, where for communication among ourselves,
>we put out very powerful radio signals. We continued
>development, and communicated more and better with
>gradually weaker and weaker signals. Over great
>distances out signals are now lost in all the background
>noise of stars.
>
>Why should other very advanced civilizations need
>to blast out very strong signals?

Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<bO%hM.28728$tol1.21676@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5254&group=alt.astronomy#5254

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 08:19:35 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

On 6/12/23 11:15, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:40:01 -0700, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/23 13:54, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
>>> Considering the vastness of space, even if the likelyhood of
>>> intelligent species with radio transmission capability is very small,
>>> then there is still likely to be many such transmissiions.
>>>
>>> We're a good example.
>>>
>>> Yet, apparently nothing.
>>>
>>> Why ? !
>>
>> Well, In the 200,000 or so years of human development
>> on our planet Earth, we reached a point of scientific
>> knowledge and use, where for communication among ourselves,
>> we put out very powerful radio signals. We continued
>> development, and communicated more and better with
>> gradually weaker and weaker signals. Over great
>> distances out signals are now lost in all the background
>> noise of stars.
>>
>> Why should other very advanced civilizations need
>> to blast out very strong signals?
>
> Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.

Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?

God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
started life going here, and finally got us recently
on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.

But,,, nothing like life anywhere else?

Or, just in the billions of other places, they never
got the right ingredients for intelligent life?

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<6c7161f9-4ffd-4ec7-aa70-df806b100ae8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=alt.astronomy#5255

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: gmearnest@att.net (Mark Earnest)
 by: Mark Earnest - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:18 UTC

On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 10:19:38 AM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:
> On 6/12/23 11:15, casagi...@optimum.net wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:40:01 -0700, a425couple
> > <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well, In the 200,000 or so years of human development
> >> on our planet Earth, we reached a point of scientific
> >> knowledge and use, where for communication among ourselves,
> >> we put out very powerful radio signals. We continued
> >> development, and communicated more and better with
> >> gradually weaker and weaker signals. Over great
> >> distances out signals are now lost in all the background
> >> noise of stars.
> >>
> >> Why should other very advanced civilizations need
> >> to blast out very strong signals?
> >
> > Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.
> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>
> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
> started life going here, and finally got us recently
> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>
> But,,, nothing like life anywhere else?
>
> Or, just in the billions of other places, they never
> got the right ingredients for intelligent life?

I'm pretty sure there's life out there. A house is a home.

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<gk1iM.34331$AF%b.18296@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=alt.astronomy#5257

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:04:12 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:04 UTC

On 6/13/23 09:18, Mark Earnest wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 10:19:38 AM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:
>> On 6/12/23 11:15, casagi...@optimum.net wrote:

>>> Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.
>> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>>
>> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
>> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
>> started life going here, and finally got us recently
>> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>>
>> But,,, nothing like life anywhere else?
>>
>> Or, just in the billions of other places, they never
>> got the right ingredients for intelligent life?
>
> I'm pretty sure there's life out there. A house is a home.

OK.
You figure life is out there.
Probably plenty. Probably some ahead of us, plenty behind us ?

Separate fact: There are plenty of 'primitive tribes' of humans
on our Earth, that we just do not bother communicating or dealing
with.

Do you figure, that is kind of similar to ETs being out there?

Re: Strangely Quiet ! - Many we just do not try to communicate with

<Fd2iM.295967$Yr24.120136@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5260&group=alt.astronomy#5260

Subject: Re: Strangely Quiet ! - Many we just do not try to communicate with
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 11:05:26 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:05 UTC

On 6/13/23 10:04, a425couple wrote:
> On 6/13/23 09:18, Mark Earnest wrote:

>>> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>>>
>>> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
>>> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
>>> started life going here, and finally got us recently
>>> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>>>
>>> But,,, nothing like life anywhere else?
>>>
>>> Or, just in the billions of other places, they never
>>> got the right ingredients for intelligent life?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure there's life out there.  A house is a home.
>
> OK.
> You figure life is out there.
> Probably plenty.  Probably some ahead of us, plenty behind us ?
>
> Separate fact:  There are plenty of 'primitive tribes' of humans
> on our Earth, that we just do not bother communicating or dealing
> with.
>
> Do you figure, that is kind of similar to ETs being out there?

As to the point of 'us' not communicating well with
the other 7 Billion humans on our own 'known' planet:

see:
https://www.wycliffe.org/

Wycliffe Bible Translators
No one should have to learn another language to understand God's Word.
And yet millions of people are still waiting for a single word of the
Bible's life-transforming power. Let's help churches and communities
around the world get Scripture in their language ... until all the
nations worship!

1.5 billion people
don’t have a full Bible in their language.

128 million people
don’t have any Scripture in their language.

350+ sign languages
are still waiting for a video Bible translation.

Re: Strangely Quiet !

<u6bsl9$3vcuq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5262&group=alt.astronomy#5262

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:10:13 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:10 UTC

a425couple wrote on 14/06/2023 1:19 am:
> On 6/12/23 11:15, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:40:01 -0700, a425couple
>> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, In the 200,000 or so years of human development
>>> on our planet Earth, we reached a point of scientific
>>> knowledge and use, where for communication among ourselves,
>>> we put out very powerful radio signals.  We continued
>>> development, and communicated more and better with
>>> gradually weaker and weaker signals.  Over great
>>> distances out signals are now lost in all the background
>>> noise of stars.
>>>
>>> Why should other very advanced civilizations need
>>> to blast out very strong signals?
>>
>> Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.
>
> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>
> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
> started life going here, and finally got us recently
> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.

No!! No!! No!! God created the Earth, etc., in about six days ....
something like 6,000 years ago, wasn't it?? ;-)
--
Daniel

Re: Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Walton

<ELliM.41505$sXTc.9537@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5264&group=alt.astronomy#5264

Subject: Re: Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Walton
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:18:44 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:18 UTC

On 6/14/23 01:10, Daniel65 wrote:
> a425couple wrote on 14/06/2023 1:19 am:
>> On 6/12/23 11:15, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:

>>> Well, I would think that there would still be something from somebody.
>>
>> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>>
>> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
>> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
>> started life going here, and finally got us recently
>> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>
> No!! No!! No!! God created the Earth, etc., in about six days ....
> something like 6,000 years ago, wasn't it?? ;-)

Daniel, you, of course, can believe anything you want to believe.

I believe God created the universe, and our Sun, and Earth,
and all plants and animals contained on it.
I do not believe that my Apple watch, as that timepiece
records time, would record it as being in 6 days.
I also believe that "something like 6,000 years ago" God
created Adam, and then Eve. But I do not see that a careful
reading of the Bible tries to rule out God using an existing
population of thousands that was gradually evolving to do so.

I welcome you to state your beliefs.
I also welcome readers here to read more about distinguished
religious scholars like Francis Collins and John Walton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Walton

Re: Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Walton

<s10k8itnk0gvpvuvgaive9frda0ovhn6mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5265&group=alt.astronomy#5265

From: schwarzb@delq.com (Barry Schwarz)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:01:02 -0700
 by: Barry Schwarz - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:01 UTC

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:18:44 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/14/23 01:10, Daniel65 wrote:
>> a425couple wrote on 14/06/2023 1:19 am:

>>> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>>>
>>> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
>>> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
>>> started life going here, and finally got us recently
>>> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>>
>> No!! No!! No!! God created the Earth, etc., in about six days ....
>> something like 6,000 years ago, wasn't it?? ;-)
>
>Daniel, you, of course, can believe anything you want to believe.

You missed the smiley at the end of his post.

--
Remove del for email

Re: Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Walton

<u6eu3d$dack$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5267&group=alt.astronomy#5267

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:53:18 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:53 UTC

Barry Schwarz wrote on 15/6/23 4:01 am:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:18:44 -0700, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> No!! No!! No!! God created the Earth, etc., in about six days
>>> .... something like 6,000 years ago, wasn't it?? ;-)
>>
>> Daniel, you, of course, can believe anything you want to believe.
>
> You missed the smiley at the end of his post.

Thank you! Some people ONLY see what they want to see!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: Strangely Quiet ! - into Collins and Walton

<u6evb7$dfvl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5268&group=alt.astronomy#5268

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 22:14:28 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:14 UTC

a425couple wrote on 15/6/23 2:18 am:
> On 6/14/23 01:10, Daniel65 wrote:
>> a425couple wrote on 14/06/2023 1:19 am:

>>> Well, what do you think the real big universe situation is?
>>>
>>> God created the universe 14+ Billion years ago, then
>>> created our solar system 4.5 Billion years ago, then
>>> started life going here, and finally got us recently
>>> on the path to human (intelligent!?) life.
>>
>> No!! No!! No!! God created the Earth, etc., in about six days ....
>> something like 6,000 years ago, wasn't it?? ;-)
>
> Daniel, you, of course, can believe anything you want to believe.
>
> I believe God created the universe, and our Sun, and Earth,
> and all plants and animals contained on it.
> I do not believe that my Apple watch, as that timepiece
> records time, would record it as being in 6 days.
> I also believe that "something like 6,000 years ago" God
> created Adam, and then Eve.  But I do not see that a careful
> reading of the Bible tries to rule out God using an existing
> population of thousands that was gradually evolving to do so.
>
> I welcome you to state your beliefs.

Born and Bred and still Practising Roman Catholic .... but a very
Science based Roman Catholic!!

> I also welcome readers here to read more about distinguished
> religious scholars like Francis Collins and John Walton.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Walton

Have I mentioned it here before ......

In 2007, I was at a lecture/presentation (given by Prof Brian Cox, I
think it was) and, at the end, he took some questions from the audience.

Someone asked a question along the lines of "What was there before the
Big Bang, 13.7 Billion years ago??". I figured it was by a "Believer",
wanting the Prof to have to say "Nothing ... until God made it", but
Prof Cox said that one of the current theories at that time was that
there were other Universes floating around in other dimensions, and two
of these other Universes bumped together and some of the matter from
these two Universes bled through into what was to become OUR Dimension
to form OUR Universe.

Fair enough, I thought ...... but could almost feel the Questioner
thinking "But where did these other Dimensions/Universes come from??"
wanting the Prof to have to admit "If you go back far enough, eventually
logic/Science fails you and you have to accept some sort of God/Mother
Nature/Guiding Spirit must have kicked the whole thing off!!".
--
Daniel