Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: update to mars quake database
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:09 UTC

http://ds.iris.edu/files/insight/v14/events_extended_multiorigin_v14_2023-01-01.xml

I noticed the database on mars quakes has been updated to the end of 2022.

The plot now shows some ups and downs and I had a moment to spare so I
asked an AI s/w to come up with a predictive model (i.e. where it saves 1/2 the data aside; finds the model using the other 1/2, then tests to see whether the saved part of the data works as well as the training part)
to explain/predict when the tremors would happen.

We all might expect it would have mostly something to do with the distance
between Mars and Jupiter, but I didn't tell the s/w that. I gave it a
list of data from the Horizons database and just wanted to see what it
could come up with.

And it did a reasonable job and also highlighted how AI's don't think
along conventional lines. :)
The program (experimentally) figured out there were 3 data it could combine to predict
the quakes:

phimars the phase of Mars --
the angle between Earth and Sun as
seen from Mars.
S-brtjupiter Surface brightness of Jupiter as
seen from the Earth. This is the
magnitude of a sq arcsec of Jup. Arcane!
deltamars The distance between Mars and Earth.

The plot of how it's model worked compared with the twitchy curve of
the actual quakes is here:

<kym.massbus.org/MARSQUAKES/marsquaremodel.gif>

Not a bad job. If you think about it for a second you'll see what it
did was essentially measure the dist between Mars and Jup using the
Earth as an intermediate point.

--
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

A vast array of our most sophisticated sensors, including space-based
platforms, have been utilized by different agencies, typically in
triplicate, to observe and accurately identify the out-of-this-world
nature, performance, and design of these anomalous machines, which are
then determined not to be of earthly origin.
-- Jonathan Grey, NASIC intel officer, Wright Patterson AFB, 06 Jun 2023

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts,
foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that
is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market
is a nation that is afraid of its people.
-- JFK