Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:49:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The moon helped to destroy the titan submersible
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:49 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 6:00:05 AM UTC+10, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> At the time of diving there was extra gravitational pull from moon as can be seen here:
>
> https://en.tutiempo.net/astronomy/sun-earth-moon-3d.html#UTC20230618T0326
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck

There have been roughly 1 sub accident every months since 2000 according to wikipedia.
So the odds are good you can find by coincidence the moon near the sun for a good percent of these cases.
The stats programs say the actual link is
not strong. One stat test is M90% confident there is a tiny link between the position of the moon and the dates of sub accidents.
The other stats test says "no way" is there a link.
The effect is in any case very small.
As a function the programs say
y = -0.0303952*x + 8.52359

where y is "the number of sub accidents per year on a given day" and x is "the number of degrees between the position of the sun and moon" (i.e. solar elongation).

So pretty much the max is expected to be .7 accidents a month and maybe if the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the sky it would be
expected to be 0 in that month.

But the tests are 1 in weak favor and one strongly against.

The summary table looks like:

Dates like Elong(deg) Avg#sub accidents
2008.344 8.4017 1.69062
2019.495 27.0629 3.14485
2021.749 57.7109 0.938527
2020.536 68.7715 2.71003
2010.749 80.2026 1.02512
2021.301 98.6611 2.95725
2017.579 111.052 2.22614
2023.432 131.621 3.69696
2017.844 149.413 6.39268
2020.508 173.857 2.11278

The table is sorted by Elongation. I.e. 8.4 means the sun and moon are close in the sky. 1.7 accidents per month in those times.

When elong is ~173 there are 2.1 avg accdients per month.

It is not stat significant. If anything it maybe goes the other way -- when the sun and moon are on
opposite sides of the earth then sub accdients maybe
slightly more common.

But tracking down what is responsible is tricky.
The moon has pull OK. It mayes the height of the Empitre State building famously go up and down a few inches.
But it also indicates a time. It may be people go out in subs at times (e.g.. related to tides) where the moon is in a certain position in the sky. It could be
more down to the choices the sub captain makes rather than
the pull of lunar gravity. :)

the sub captain makes.