Sometimes, too long is too long. -- Joe Crowe

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

SubjectAuthor
* NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat intoa425couple
+* NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on Jim Wilkins
|`* NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat intoa425couple
| `- NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on Jim Wilkins
+* NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat intoKeith Willshaw
|`- NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on Jim Wilkins
`- NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat intoStarDust

1
NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<FnjmM.15668$zG0d.2953@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5291&group=alt.astronomy#5291

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into
drinking water on the ISS
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 09:52:51 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:52 UTC

NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking
water on the ISS

from
https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/nasa-water-recyclability-drinking-sweat-urine

NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking
water on the ISS
NASA demonstrated a 98 percent water recyclability rate on the ISS for
all wastewater, including sweat and pee.
Tejasri Gururaj
Tejasri Gururaj
Created: Jun 26, 2023 03:24 AM EST
INNOVATION

NASA astronaut Kayla Barron replacing a filter in the BPA on the ISS.
NASA astronaut Kayla Barron replacing a filter in the BPA on the ISS.
NASA

Stay ahead of your peers in technology and engineering - The Blueprint
Email address
By subscribing, you agree to our Terms of Use and Policies You may
unsubscribe at any time.

In an exciting announcement, NASA has announced that astronauts aboard
the International Space Stion(ISS) have achieved a water recovery rate
of 98 percent. The ISS used its Environmental Control and Life Support
Systems (ECLSS) to achieve this remarkable goal, according to a press
release.

The ECLSS is a combination of multiple water recovery systems, including
advanced dehumidifiers, a Water Processor Assembly (WPA), a Urine
Processor Assembly (UPA), and a Brine Processor Assembly (BPA).

You read it right. Water was recycled from sweat and urine.

Space missions beyond low Earth orbit, such as those to the Moon or
Mars, present unique challenges when it comes to effectively managing
crew supplies. Therefore, they require a comprehensive approach to
resource management, emphasizing recycling, regeneration, and
sustainable practices.

SEE ALSO
RELATED
NASA: Challenge drives students to develop moon-friendly portable
microwave system
Modified NASA space tech provides sustainable batteries that last 30 years
NASA astronauts set to install solar arrays outside ISS, watch live today
The aim is to minimize reliance on resupply missions and enable crews to
sustain themselves for extended durations in the challenging
environments of deep space. NASA has been developing and testing life
support missions on the ISS that can help provide basic needs for the
crew without resupply missions.

NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking
water on the ISSNASA astronaut Chris Hadfield drinking water on the ISS.
ISS National Laboratory

The ECLSS water recovery system
The ECLSS is designed to provide a habitable environment and essential
life support for astronauts. In addition to recycling water, the ECLSS
is responsible for managing air supply and atmosphere control, thermal
control, and radiation protection.

The water recovery system of the ECLSS collects wastewater from various
sources, including urine, humidity condensation, and other sources of
moisture within the spacecraft. The advanced dehumidifiers collect
wastewater from the astronauts' breath and sweat.

The UPA is responsible for recovering water from urine. It successfully
distills urine but produces brine as a by-product, which makes the water
undrinkable. This is where the BPA comes in handy.

The BPA is responsible for extracting the brine and providing drinkable
water. The BPA takes the brine produced by the UPA and passes it via a
series of specialized membranes before introducing it to dry air, which
evaporates its water content.

This produces humid air, similar to that produced by the ISS crew
members' breath, which is collected by ECLSS dehumidifiers.

The WPA then treats all wastewater through a series of filters and a
catalytic reactor, which breaks down any leftover contaminants in the water.

Before the water is stored, sensors test the water quality to ensure it
is suitable for drinking. If the standards are not met, the water is
returned for processing. Additionally, iodine is added to inhibit the
growth of microbes, after which the water is stored for later use by the
crew.

Achieving 98 percent recovered water
According to NASA's recent assessments, the BPA was the main component
that helped them to achieve a 98 percent water recovery goal in
microgravity.

Christopher Brown, a member of the Johnson Space Center, said, "This is
a very important step forward in the evolution of life support systems.
Let's say you collect 100 pounds of water at the station. You lose two
pounds of that, and the other 98% just keeps going around and around.
Keeping that running is a pretty awesome achievement."

The Johnson Space Center manages the life support system of the ISS.
Jill Williamson, the CLSS water subsystems manager, further added,
"Before the BPA, our total water recovery was between 93 and 94%
overall. "We have now demonstrated that we can reach total water
recovery of 98%, thanks to the brine processor."

The ECLSS systems are rigorously tested to guarantee that they work as
intended and that each component can run for extended periods without
requiring extensive maintenance or replacement spare parts.

The 98 percent achievement bodes well for future space missions, where
humans are expected to undertake prolonged stays on the lunar surface
and embark on crewed voyages to Mars.

This article was written and edited by a human, with the assistance of
Generative AI tools. Find out more about our policy on AI-powered
writing here.'

HOME
INNOVATION
Add Interesting Engineering to your Google News feed.
message circleSHOW COMMENT (0)chevron
FOR YOU
https://images.interestingengineering.com/1200x675/filters:format(webp)/2023/06/22/image/jpeg/lTLbvQaKdOkNRRjpdMzMF6E74TcLoT8S3HcKnTIN.jpg

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<u7cne0$11s9a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5292&group=alt.astronomy#5292

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 15:03:21 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 19:03 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:FnjmM.15668$zG0d.2953@fx04.iad...

-------------------------

https://www.space.com/international-space-station-smells-european-astronaut

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<u7cttc$12qcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5293&group=alt.astronomy#5293

From: keithwillshaw@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
drinking water on the ISS
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 21:54:03 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:54 UTC

On 26/06/2023 17:52, a425couple wrote:
> NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking
> water on the ISS
>
> from
> https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/nasa-water-recyclability-drinking-sweat-urine

That's their cafeteria off my places to dine list :)

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<u7d1dg$13ab0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5294&group=alt.astronomy#5294

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:53:45 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 21:53 UTC

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message news:u7cttc$12qcv$1@dont-email.me...

On 26/06/2023 17:52, a425couple wrote:
> NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking
> water on the ISS
>
> from
> https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/nasa-water-recyclability-drinking-sweat-urine

That's their cafeteria off my places to dine list :)

----------------

All water has been urine, down here the recycling process just takes longer.

On an ocean fishing trip the captain scooped a bottle of water up and showed
us the cloud of tiny white fibers in it, which he said were toilet paper.

They say the bottom feeders, mainly clams and lobsters, aren't as tasty as
they were before EPA cleanups.

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<K6ZmM.104733$zcM5.5083@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5296&group=alt.astronomy#5296

drinking water on the ISS
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:22:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:22 UTC

On 6/26/23 12:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "a425couple"  wrote in message news:FnjmM.15668$zG0d.2953@fx04.iad...
>
> -------------------------
>
> https://www.space.com/international-space-station-smells-european-astronaut

Thanks for that!

"Other than that, the space station smells very pleasant," she said.

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<u7hqjg$1qthv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5297&group=alt.astronomy#5297

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:28:08 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 17:28 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:K6ZmM.104733$zcM5.5083@fx11.iad...

On 6/26/23 12:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "a425couple" wrote in message news:FnjmM.15668$zG0d.2953@fx04.iad...
>
> -------------------------
>
> https://www.space.com/international-space-station-smells-european-astronaut

Thanks for that!

"Other than that, the space station smells very pleasant," she said.

------------------------

This thread reminds me of a relevant scientific research project that
Benjamin Franklin proposed during the Revolution.
https://teachingamericanhistory.org/document/to-the-royal-academy-of-farting/

Re: NASA successfully recycles 98 percent of urine and sweat into drinking water on the ISS

<d23a258c-33d3-4992-bd7f-16e90e4e2c5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5298&group=alt.astronomy#5298

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:44:21 -0700 (PDT)
drinking water on the ISS
From: csoka01@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 23:44 UTC

I recycle 99.9% of my waste.
😁