Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed. -- Neil Armstrong

tech / alt.astronomy / Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?

SubjectAuthor
* Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar golda425couple
`* Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar goldDaniel65
 +- Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?Jim Wilkins
 `- Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar goldrPhigan

1
Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?

<a5YBM.101539$PlBb.82688@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5382&group=alt.astronomy#5382

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.economics,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold
rush?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:28:06 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 03:28 UTC

from
https://www.reuters.com/technology/space/moon-mining-why-major-powers-are-eyeing-lunar-gold-rush-2023-08-11/

Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?
By Guy Faulconbridge
August 11, 20237:39 AM PDTUpdated a day ago

MOSCOW, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Russia launched its first moon-landing
spacecraft in 47 years on Friday amid a race by major powers including
the United States, China and India to discover more about the elements
held on the earth's only natural satellite.

Russia said that it would launch further lunar missions and then explore
the possibility of a joint Russian-China crewed mission and even a lunar
base. NASA has spoken about a "lunar gold rush" and explored the
potential of moon mining.

Why are major powers so interested in what is up there?

THE MOON
The moon, which is 384,400 km (238,855 miles) from our planet, moderates
the earth's wobble on its axis which ensures a more stable climate. It
also causes tides in the world's oceans.

Current thinking is that it was formed when a massive thing collided
with earth about 4.5 billion years ago. The debris from the collision
came together to form the moon.

Temperatures vary: in full Sun, they rise to 127 degrees Celsius while
in darkness they plummet to about minus 173 degrees Celsius. The moon's
exosphere does not give protection against radiation from the Sun.

WATER
The first definitive discovery of water on the moon was made in 2008 by
the Indian mission Chandrayaan-1, which detected hydroxyl molecules
spread across the lunar surface and concentrated at the poles, according
to NASA.

Water is crucial for human life and also can be a source of hydrogen and
oxygen - and these can be used for rocket fuel.

HELIUM-3
Helium-3 is an isotope of helium that is rare on earth, but NASA says
there are estimates of a million tonnes of it on the moon.

This isotope could provide nuclear energy in a fusion reactor but since
it is not radioactive it would not produce dangerous waste, according to
the European Space Agency.

Rocket booster with Luna-25 lunar lander blasts off at Vostochny Cosmodrome
A Soyuz-2.1b rocket booster with a Fregat upper stage and the lunar
landing spacecraft Luna-25 blasts off from a launchpad at the Vostochny
Cosmodrome in the far eastern Amur region, Russia, August 11, 2023.
Roscosmos/Vostochny Space Centre/Handout via REUTERS

RARE EARTH METALS
Rare earth metals - used in smartphones, computers and advanced
technologies - are present on the moon, including scandium, yttrium and
the 15 lanthanides, according to research by Boeing.

HOW WOULD MOON MINING WORK?
It is not entirely clear.

Some sort of infrastructure would have to be established on the moon.
The conditions of the moon mean robots would have to do most of the hard
work, though water on the moon would allow for long-term human presence.

WHAT IS THE LAW?
The law is unclear and full of gaps.

The United Nations 1966 Outer Space Treaty says that no nation can claim
sovereignty over the moon - or other celestial bodies - and that the
exploration of space should be carried out for the benefit of all countries.

But lawyers say it is unclear whether or not a private entity could
claim sovereignty over a part of the moon.

"Space mining is subject to relatively little existing policy or
governance, despite these potentially high stakes," The RAND Corporation
said in a blog last year.

The 1979 The Moon Agreement states that no part of the moon "shall
become property of any State, international intergovernmental or
non-governmental organization, national organization or non-governmental
entity or of any natural person."

It has not been ratified by any major space power.

The United States in 2020 announced the Artemis Accords, named after
NASA’s Artemis moon program, to seek to build on existing international
space law by establishing “safety zones" on the moon. Russia and China
have not joined the accords.

Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge Editing by Peter Graff
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Guy Faulconbridge
Thomson Reuters

As Moscow bureau chief, Guy runs coverage of Russia and the Commonwealth
of Independent States. Before Moscow, Guy ran Brexit coverage as London
bureau chief (2012-2022). On the night of Brexit, his team delivered one
of Reuters historic wins - reporting news of Brexit first to the world
and the financial markets. Guy graduated from the London School of
Economics and started his career as an intern at Bloomberg. He has spent
over 14 years covering the former Soviet Union. He speaks fluent
Russian. Contact: +447825218698

Read Next

Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?

<ubah6k$1qtct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5384&group=alt.astronomy#5384

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.economics,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
rush?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:09:56 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 12:09 UTC

a425couple wrote on 13/8/23 1:28 pm:
> from
> https://www.reuters.com/technology/space/moon-mining-why-major-powers-are-eyeing-lunar-gold-rush-2023-08-11/
>
> Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold
> rush? By Guy Faulconbridge August 11, 20237:39 AM PDTUpdated a day
> ago
>
> MOSCOW, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Russia launched its first moon-landing
> spacecraft in 47 years on Friday amid a race by major powers
> including the United States, China and India to discover more about
> the elements held on the earth's only natural satellite.
>
> Russia said that it would launch further lunar missions and then
> explore the possibility of a joint Russian-China crewed mission and
> even a lunar base. NASA has spoken about a "lunar gold rush" and
> explored the potential of moon mining.
>
> Why are major powers so interested in what is up there?
>
> THE MOON The moon, which is 384,400 km (238,855 miles) from our
> planet, moderates the earth's wobble on its axis which ensures a more
> stable climate. It also causes tides in the world's oceans.
>
> Current thinking is that it was formed when a massive thing collided
> with earth about 4.5 billion years ago. The debris from the
> collision came together to form the moon.

"a massive thing collided"?? WOW!! What a techo term!! ;-P

--
Daniel

Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?

<ubakvh$1rejh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5386&group=alt.astronomy#5386

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar gold rush?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:14:03 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:14 UTC

"Daniel65" wrote in message news:ubah6k$1qtct$1@dont-email.me...

> Current thinking is that it was formed when a massive thing collided
> with earth about 4.5 billion years ago. The debris from the
> collision came together to form the moon.

"a massive thing collided"?? WOW!! What a techo term!! ;-P
Daniel

------------------------

That could be characteristic of a dictionary translation from another
language, Reuters was originally German. Call it an Object if you like. The
German words Ding, Stoff, Zeug and Sache don't exactly align with English
word usage.
https://www.reddit.com/r/German/comments/f7mt53/what_is_the_difference_between_ding_and_sache/?rdt=54431

English has so many synonyms with slightly different connotations because
it's a corrupted mix of Norman French, Saxon German, Latin, Nordic, Celtic
et.al. and words from colonies.

Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar goldr

<64DCC56D.1923.usenet_astro@mutinybbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5389&group=alt.astronomy#5389

From: phigan@mutinybbs.com.remove-dyt-this (Phigan)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar goldr
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 08:47:41 -0400
 by: Phigan - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:47 UTC

Re: Re: Explainer: Moon mining - Why major powers are eyeing a lunar goldr
By: Daniel65 to alt.astronomy,alt.economics,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military on Sun Aug 13 2023 22:09:56

> "a massive thing collided"?? WOW!! What a techo term!! ;-P

Well so what was the whole thing even called that brought the "massive thing"?
Wasn't it like "the great event" or something? I suppose the earliest things
get the simplest names. "Big bang".
--- Synchronet 3.16c-Win32 NewsLink 1.103
MutinyBBS - telnet : mutinybbs.com:2332 - ssh : mutinybbs.com:2232