Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Scorching Neptune-size world is way too massive for astronomers to
explain
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:19:43 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:19 UTC

from
https://www.space.com/scorching-neptune-size-world-super-massive

Scorching Neptune-size world is way too massive for astronomers to explain
By Charles Q. Choi published 1 day ago
"Our result is yet another proof that exoplanet research is constantly
holding surprises"

Comments (2)
A pale blue planet, partly shrouded in shadow, against the backdrop of
space.
An artistic depiction of the newfound Neptune-size exoplanet TOI-1853 b.
(Image credit: Luca Naponiello)
Astronomers have unexpectedly discovered the heaviest Neptune-like
planet yet — one more than four times the mass of our solar system's
Neptune — yet it remains a mystery how the world might have formed.

Between rocky planets about the mass of Earth and gas giants the mass of
Jupiter, which holds more than 300 times our planet's mass, there are
worlds the size of Neptune, which holds just about 17 times Earth's
mass. Previous research has found that Neptune-size planets display a
great deal of variety, ranging from icy worlds clad in thick atmospheres
of hydrogen and helium, such as the Neptune we know and love, to very
dense planets made of either substantial amounts of water or bundles of
rock wrapped in thinner atmospheres, such as the exoplanets HD 95338 b,
TOI-849 b and TOI-2196 b.

In the new study, astronomers investigated TOI-1853, an orange dwarf
star about 80 percent of the sun's mass and diameter. TOI-1853 is
located about 544 light-years from Earth in the Boötes constellation.
Using NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), they
discovered an exoplanet around a star they dubbed TOI-1853 b.

The newfound planet sits about 50 times closer to its star than Earth is
to the sun, completing one orbit in just 30 hours instead of the 365
days it takes Earth. The planet's extreme proximity to its host star
also makes it searing hot at about 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit (1,200
degrees Celsius).

Related: Why are there so few 'hot Neptune' exoplanets?

Click here for more Space.com videos...
The newfound planet's diameter is about 3.46 times larger than Earth's,
making it a bit smaller than Neptune, which is about 3.8 times wider
than Earth. However, upon using Italy's Galileo National Telescope on
the island of La Palma to measure the strength of TOI-1853 b's
gravitational tug on its star, the scientists estimated this exoplanet's
mass is about 73 times greater than Earth's. This means its mass is
nearly equal to the mass of Saturn, which is about 95 times more massive
than Earth.

All in all, TOI-1853 b is about six times denser than Neptune and nearly
twice as dense as Earth. This makes it the densest Neptune-size planet
known to date.

"Our result is yet another proof that exoplanet research is constantly
holding surprises," study lead author Luca Naponiello, an astrophysicist
at the University of Rome, told Space.com. "We are still finding truly
unique worlds decades after the first discovery. It's exciting to be
part of this journey."

"The discovery of TOI-1853 b implies that large planets can have
surprising amounts of heavy elements, much more than previously
thought," Naponiello added. "Neptunian planets show an astonishing
variety of density and compositions, but we didn't believe they could be
so compact."

For the most part, exoplanets that orbit their stars as closely as
TOI-1853 b does are either rocky planets with diameters less than twice
Earth's or so-called hot Jupiters, gas giants sizing in at more than 10
times Earth's diameter. Mysteriously, scientists have only found a few
hot Neptunes such as TOI-1853 b, a phenomenon dubbed the "hot Neptune
desert."

RELATED STORIES:
— Weird dark spot on Neptune may have a bright spot buddy

— A 'captured' alien planet may be hiding at the edge of our solar
system — and it's not 'Planet X'

— Neptune's clouds have vanished, and the sun may be to blame (video)

Conventional theories of planetary formation would suggest that TOI-1853
b should not exist, Naponiello said. But seeing as it clearly does, one
possibility for the planet's formation is that it was born
catastrophically from collisions "between large proto-planets such as
super-Earths," he explained. "These huge impacts would have removed part
of the original atmosphere and water, leaving mostly rock behind. If
this is the case, TOI-1853b is likely to have a brother not too far away."

If astronomers do not end up finding a sibling of TOI-1853 b nearby,
another possible explanation for the planet's origin is that it was a
giant planet in a highly "eccentric" or oval-shaped orbit. This would
have led to regular close encounters with its star, causing the world to
lose much of its atmosphere and leaving behind a dense core. These
stellar flybys could also have eventually made the planet's orbit less
eccentric over time, explaining the trajectory's currently circular shape.

The researchers suggested TOI-1853 b may be mostly rocky and surrounded
by a small envelope of hydrogen and helium that makes up 1 percent of
the planet's mass – at most. Another possibility is that TOI-1853 b may
be composed of about 50 percent rock and 50 percent water. If true, it
would mean its atmosphere may be rich in water vapor, Naponiello said,
due to the planet's extreme heat

To really figure out TOI-1853 b's composition, scientists would have to
analyze its atmosphere, Naponiello said. However, this will likely prove
difficult even with NASA's extraordinarily powerful James Webb Space
Telescope, since "we expect its atmosphere to be very thin, if existent
at all," he said.

"Understanding the nature of this planet will definitely be challenging."

The scientists detailed their findings online Aug. 30 in the journal
Nature.

Join our Space Forums to keep talking space on the latest missions,
night sky and more! And if you have a news tip, correction or comment,
let us know at: community@space.com.

Get the Space.com Newsletter