From: chine.bleu@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,sci.physics
Subject: Rocketship X-M.
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 12:07:30 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 20:07 UTC

If you want to watch a total failure of physics in an old movie:
Rocketship X-M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6XoeiTcKsM

The crew cabin is a rotatable sphere. It takes off vertically.
Once it's high enough, it comes to complete stop then rotates a
right angle to point at the moon. The cabin sphere counterrotates
so that cabin vertical is orthongal to ship axis, so that gravity
pulls them to cabin floor. On the way to moon the engine has to
keep burning or they stop. Something goes wrong: the engine never
stops; instead of reaching the moon, they reach Mars.

And you thought Star Wars had bad physics.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
I am an Andrea Chen sockpuppet. insults Islam. Mohammed

Re: Rocketship X-M.

<tonhgp$1hh4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5475&group=alt.astronomy#5475

From: kym@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: Rocketship X-M.
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 20:26:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 20:26 UTC

In alt.astronomy Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you want to watch a total failure of physics in an old movie:
> Rocketship X-M.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6XoeiTcKsM
> The crew cabin is a rotatable sphere. It takes off vertically.
> Once it's high enough, it comes to complete stop then rotates a
> right angle to point at the moon. The cabin sphere counterrotates
> so that cabin vertical is orthongal to ship axis, so that gravity
> pulls them to cabin floor. On the way to moon the engine has to
> keep burning or they stop. Something goes wrong: the engine never
> stops; instead of reaching the moon, they reach Mars.
> And you thought Star Wars had bad physics.

The best science comes from newspapers:

A Severe Strain on the Credulity
As a method of sending a missile to the higher, and even to the highest
parts of the earth's atmospheric envelope, Professor Goddard's rocket
is a practicable and therefore promising device. It is when one
considers the multiple-charge rocket as a traveler to the moon that one
begins to doubt ... for after the rocket quits our air and really
starts on its journey, its flight would be neither accelerated nor
maintained by the explosion of the charges it then might have left.
Professor Goddard, with his "chair" in Clark College and countenancing
of the Smithsonian Institution, does not know the relation of action to
re-action, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum
against which to react ... Of course he only seems to lack the
knowledge ladled out daily in high schools.
-- New York Times Editorial, 1920

tech / alt.astronomy / Rocketship X-M.