System going down in 5 minutes.

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

SubjectAuthor
* Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animalserik simpson
`* Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to otherPopping Mad
 `* Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animalserik simpson
  +* Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to*Hemidactylus*
  |`- Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animalserik simpson
  `* Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to otherPopping Mad
   `- Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to otherJohn Harshman

1
Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<9f8780e0-1dfc-4151-8ed7-2a2f0d8eacb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5528&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5528

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 17 May 2023 22:58 UTC

Abstract

A central question in evolutionary biology is whether sponges or ctenophores (comb jellies) are the sister group to all other animals. These alternative phylogenetic hypotheses imply different scenarios for the evolution of complex neural systems and other animal-specific traits1,2,3,4,5,6. Conventional phylogenetic approaches based on morphological characters and increasingly extensive gene sequence collections have not been able to definitively answer this question7,8,9,10,11. Here we develop chromosome-scale gene linkage, also known as synteny, as a phylogenetic character for resolving this question12. We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share derived chromosomal rearrangements. Conserved syntenic characters unite sponges with bilaterians, cnidarians, and placozoans in a monophyletic clade to the exclusion of ctenophores, placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals. The patterns of synteny shared by sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians are the result of rare and irreversible chromosome fusion-and-mixing events that provide robust and unambiguous phylogenetic support for the ctenophore-sister hypothesis. These findings provide a new framework for resolving deep, recalcitrant phylogenetic problems and have implications for our understanding of animal evolution.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6 (open access)

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<u456h8$4ne$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5529&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5529

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other
animals
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 08:42:13 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Thu, 18 May 2023 12:42 UTC

On 5/17/23 18:58, erik simpson wrote:
> Abstract
>
> A central question in evolutionary biology is whether sponges or ctenophores (comb jellies) are the sister group to all other animals. These alternative phylogenetic hypotheses imply different scenarios for the evolution of complex neural systems and other animal-specific traits1,2,3,4,5,6. Conventional phylogenetic approaches based on morphological characters and increasingly extensive gene sequence collections have not been able to definitively answer this question7,8,9,10,11. Here we develop chromosome-scale gene linkage, also known as synteny, as a phylogenetic character for resolving this question12. We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share derived chromosomal rearrangements. Conserved syntenic characters unite sponges with bilaterians, cnidarians, and placozoans in a monophyletic clade to the exclusion of ctenophores, placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals. The patterns of synteny shared by sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians are the result of rare and irreversible chromosome fusion-and-mixing events that provide robust and unambiguous phylogenetic support for the ctenophore-sister hypothesis. These findings provide a new framework for resolving deep, recalcitrant phylogenetic problems and have implications for our understanding of animal evolution.
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6 (open access)

Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?

<<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>

Alien life forms....

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<b25f2ca5-82a9-4995-98f2-3904033dd764n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5530&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5530

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 08:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 18 May 2023 15:01 UTC

On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 5:45:02 AM UTC-7, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 5/17/23 18:58, erik simpson wrote:
> > Abstract
> >
> > A central question in evolutionary biology is whether sponges or ctenophores (comb jellies) are the sister group to all other animals. These alternative phylogenetic hypotheses imply different scenarios for the evolution of complex neural systems and other animal-specific traits1,2,3,4,5,6. Conventional phylogenetic approaches based on morphological characters and increasingly extensive gene sequence collections have not been able to definitively answer this question7,8,9,10,11. Here we develop chromosome-scale gene linkage, also known as synteny, as a phylogenetic character for resolving this question12. We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share derived chromosomal rearrangements. Conserved syntenic characters unite sponges with bilaterians, cnidarians, and placozoans in a monophyletic clade to the exclusion of ctenophores, placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals. The patterns of synteny shared by sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians are the result of rare and irreversible chromosome fusion-and-mixing events that provide robust and unambiguous phylogenetic support for the ctenophore-sister hypothesis. These findings provide a new framework for resolving deep, recalcitrant phylogenetic problems and have implications for our understanding of animal evolution.
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6 (open access)
> Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?
> <<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>
> Alien life forms....

What is "cordatges"? If you mean dates, thry're hard to come by. Reliable fossil dating, even for sponges is
only available in very late Ediacaran or early Cambrian. It's very likely that the ctenophore - all other metazoan
split happened ~800 Mya, but crown clades' LCA is only a few 100 Mya. It's easier to lose charateristics through
evolutionary processes than to regain them, so we have no idea what the easliest ctenophores and sponges "looked
like".

As for alien life forms, there's no evidence yet for them. I'm hoping Mars or other solar system locations might
provide a glimpse before I leave the stage.

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<bgCdnVlHEupPR_X5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5532&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5532

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to
other animals
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 14:36:02 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Sat, 20 May 2023 14:36 UTC

erik simpson <eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 5:45:02 AM UTC-7, Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 5/17/23 18:58, erik simpson wrote:
>>> Abstract
>>>
>>> A central question in evolutionary biology is whether sponges or
>>> ctenophores (comb jellies) are the sister group to all other animals.
>>> These alternative phylogenetic hypotheses imply different scenarios for
>>> the evolution of complex neural systems and other animal-specific
>>> traits1,2,3,4,5,6. Conventional phylogenetic approaches based on
>>> morphological characters and increasingly extensive gene sequence
>>> collections have not been able to definitively answer this
>>> question7,8,9,10,11. Here we develop chromosome-scale gene linkage,
>>> also known as synteny, as a phylogenetic character for resolving this
>>> question12. We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and
>>> two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a
>>> choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that
>>> serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies
>>> that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular
>>> relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral
>>> metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share
>>> derived chromosomal rearrangements. Conserved syntenic characters unite
>>> sponges with bilaterians, cnidarians, and placozoans in a monophyletic
>>> clade to the exclusion of ctenophores, placing ctenophores as the
>>> sister group to all other animals. The patterns of synteny shared by
>>> sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians are the result of rare and
>>> irreversible chromosome fusion-and-mixing events that provide robust
>>> and unambiguous phylogenetic support for the ctenophore-sister
>>> hypothesis. These findings provide a new framework for resolving deep,
>>> recalcitrant phylogenetic problems and have implications for our
>>> understanding of animal evolution.
>>>
>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6 (open access)
>> Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?
>> <<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>
>> Alien life forms....
>
> What is "cordatges"? If you mean dates, thry're hard to come by.
> Reliable fossil dating, even for sponges is
> only available in very late Ediacaran or early Cambrian. It's very
> likely that the ctenophore - all other metazoan
> split happened ~800 Mya, but crown clades' LCA is only a few 100 Mya.
> It's easier to lose charateristics through
> evolutionary processes than to regain them, so we have no idea what the
> easliest ctenophores and sponges "looked
> like".
>
> As for alien life forms, there's no evidence yet for them. I'm hoping
> Mars or other solar system locations might
> provide a glimpse before I leave the stage.

Chordates? Echinoderms are much closer as deuterostomes.

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<1bc1d515-4e76-4719-893a-46f44dabf4d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5533&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5533

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 08:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 20 May 2023 15:04 UTC

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 7:36:14 AM UTC-7, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
> erik simpson <eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?
> >> <<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>
> >> Alien life forms....
> >
> > What is "cordatges"? If you mean dates, thry're hard to come by.
> > Reliable fossil dating, even for sponges is
> > only available in very late Ediacaran or early Cambrian. It's very
> > likely that the ctenophore - all other metazoan
> > split happened ~800 Mya, but crown clades' LCA is only a few 100 Mya.
> > It's easier to lose charateristics through
> > evolutionary processes than to regain them, so we have no idea what the
> > easliest ctenophores and sponges "looked
> > like".
> >
> > As for alien life forms, there's no evidence yet for them. I'm hoping
> > Mars or other solar system locations might
> > provide a glimpse before I leave the stage.
> >
> Chordates? Echinoderms are much closer as deuterostomes.

The earliest chordates show up in the lower Cambrian ~540 MYa, but are already quite
derived. The protostome-deauterostome (Echinoderms and we are in there) split occurred
before ~556 MYa since Kimberella (probably a protostome) is found then. Even if Kimberella
is actually a stem Bilaterian, Chordates probably originated in the mid-Ediacaran, ~ 250 My after
the Ctenophore-Sponge divergence.

Considering how long it took (~4Gy) to get to Metazoa at all, subsequent things happened pretty
quickly. If aliens were involved, all bets are off.

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<u4k0cb$j1p$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5537&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5537

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
animals
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:29:12 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:29 UTC

On 5/18/23 11:01, erik simpson wrote:
> On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 5:45:02 AM UTC-7, Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 5/17/23 18:58, erik simpson wrote:
>>> Abstract
>>>
>>> A central question in evolutionary biology is whether sponges or ctenophores (comb jellies) are the sister group to all other animals. These alternative phylogenetic hypotheses imply different scenarios for the evolution of complex neural systems and other animal-specific traits1,2,3,4,5,6. Conventional phylogenetic approaches based on morphological characters and increasingly extensive gene sequence collections have not been able to definitively answer this question7,8,9,10,11. Here we develop chromosome-scale gene linkage, also known as synteny, as a phylogenetic character for resolving this question12. We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share derived chromosomal rearrangements. Conserved syntenic characters unite sponges with bilaterians, cnidarians, and placozoans in a monophyletic clade to the exclusion of ctenophores, placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals. The patterns of synteny shared by sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians are the result of rare and irreversible chromosome fusion-and-mixing events that provide robust and unambiguous phylogenetic support for the ctenophore-sister hypothesis. These findings provide a new framework for resolving deep, recalcitrant phylogenetic problems and have implications for our understanding of animal evolution.
>>>
>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6 (open access)
>> Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?
>> <<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>
>> Alien life forms....
>
> What is "cordatges"?

CORDATES

things with spines?

If you mean dates, thry're hard to come by. Reliable fossil dating,
even for sponges is
> only available in very late Ediacaran or early Cambrian. It's very likely that the ctenophore - all other metazoan
> split happened ~800 Mya, but crown clades' LCA is only a few 100 Mya. It's easier to lose charateristics through
> evolutionary processes than to regain them, so we have no idea what the easliest ctenophores and sponges "looked
> like".
>
> As for alien life forms, there's no evidence yet for them. I'm hoping Mars or other solar system locations might
> provide a glimpse before I leave the stage.

Re: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals

<Cb6dnbB3FOA-GPD5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5538

Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 20:33:55 -0700
animals
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:33 UTC

On 5/23/23 8:29 PM, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 5/18/23 11:01, erik simpson wrote:

>>> Greatr article! Does either of thesse lineages lead to current cordatges?
>>> <<placing ctenophores as the sister group to all other animals>>
>>> Alien life forms....
>>
>> What is "cordatges"?
>
> CORDATES
>
> things with spines?
Like sea urchins or lionfish?
It's "chordates", and they're thing with notochords, not spines.