The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Simple question - microscopy of neurons

SubjectAuthor
* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsTrolidous
`* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsTrolidan
 `* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsPeter Nyikos
  +* Simple question - microscopy of neuronstrolidous
  |+- Simple question - microscopy of neuronserik simpson
  |`* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsJohn Harshman
  | `* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsKerr-Mudd, John
  |  +- Simple question - microscopy of neuronsJohn Harshman
  |  +- Simple question - microscopy of neuronsPeter Nyikos
  |  `* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsPeter Nyikos
  |   `* Simple question - microscopy of neuronsKerr-Mudd, John
  |    `- Simple question - microscopy of neuronsPeter Nyikos
  `- Simple question - microscopy of neuronstrolidous

1
Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<u4l1jm$2vhsk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5539&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5539

From: Trolidan@noname.net (Trolidous)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Simple question - microscopy of neurons
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 05:57:12 -0700
 by: Trolidous - Wed, 24 May 2023 12:57 UTC

I have a simple and basic question about microscopy
and its investigation of the structure of nervous
tissue.

Has anyone ever:

Taught a simple and small jellyfish or worms with
only a very small number of neurons in its nervous
system to:

Do a very simple reaction to some stimulus and response.

Make the simple worm or jellyfish learn to react differently
from a worm or jellyfish that has not been taught to react
in a specific way to some stimulus.

Then done microscopy on the nervous system of that worm
or jellyfish with the capability of successfully telling
whether.

1 The worm or jellyfish did learn to react differently
to that stimulus.

or

2. The worm or jellyfish was one that did not learn
to react differently to that stimulus.

When was an experiment like this successfully performed?

1. Over a hundred years ago.

2. Several decades ago.

3. A few years ago.

4. This has never been done.

Could anyone provide references to these experiments?

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<u4ljl0$31ikg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5540&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5540

From: trolidous@noname.net (Trolidan)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:05:20 -0700
 by: Trolidan - Wed, 24 May 2023 18:05 UTC

On 5/24/2023 5:57 AM, Trolidous wrote:
> I have a simple and basic question about microscopy
> and its investigation of the structure of nervous
> tissue.
>
> Has anyone ever:
>
> Taught a simple and small jellyfish or worms with
> only a very small number of neurons in its nervous
> system to:
>
> Do a very simple reaction to some stimulus and response.
>
> Make the simple worm or jellyfish learn to react differently
> from a worm or jellyfish that has not been taught to react
> in a specific way to some stimulus.
>
> Then done microscopy on the nervous system of that worm
> or jellyfish with the capability of successfully telling
> whether.
>
> 1 The worm or jellyfish did learn to react differently
> to that stimulus.
>
> or
>
> 2. The worm or jellyfish was one that did not learn
> to react differently to that stimulus.
>
> When was an experiment like this successfully performed?
>
> 1. Over a hundred years ago.
>
> 2. Several decades ago.
>
> 3. A few years ago.
>
> 4. This has never been done.
>
> Could anyone provide references to these experiments?

Also this is not a question about fossils. Fossils are
rarely preserved so well that you can see the microscopic
structure of neurons within them.

Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
for years.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<d8e15fb1-a4df-4d8f-91f9-aca62ec3d7b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5569&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5569

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2nyikos@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:51 UTC

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to check s.b.p.
at least once a week, now that it seems to be in danger of becoming the domain of
the spammer Mark Verhaegan.

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 2:05:53 PM UTC-4, Trolidan wrote:
> On 5/24/2023 5:57 AM, Trolidous wrote:
> > I have a simple and basic question about microscopy
> > and its investigation of the structure of nervous
> > tissue.
> >
> > Has anyone ever:
> >
> > Taught a simple and small jellyfish or worms with
> > only a very small number of neurons in its nervous
> > system to:
> >
> > Do a very simple reaction to some stimulus and response.
> >
> > Make the simple worm or jellyfish learn to react differently
> > from a worm or jellyfish that has not been taught to react
> > in a specific way to some stimulus.
> >
> > Then done microscopy on the nervous system of that worm
> > or jellyfish with the capability of successfully telling
> > whether.
> >
> > 1 The worm or jellyfish did learn to react differently
> > to that stimulus.
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2. The worm or jellyfish was one that did not learn
> > to react differently to that stimulus.
> >
> > When was an experiment like this successfully performed?
> >
> > 1. Over a hundred years ago.
> >
> > 2. Several decades ago.
> >
> > 3. A few years ago.
> >
> > 4. This has never been done.
> >
> > Could anyone provide references to these experiments?
> Also this is not a question about fossils. Fossils are
> rarely preserved so well that you can see the microscopic
> structure of neurons within them.

Not a problem: the lack of a suitable Usenet group makes
this one the default "newsgroup ______________ in exile"
where such questions are concerned.
[Among the saddest things to go into the blank are
sci.bio.evolution [extinct] and sci.bio.systematics
[completely the domain of spammers except for once-in-a-blue
moon posts by myself asking whether it is possible to revive it.]

> Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
> amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
> One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
> a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
> 'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
> for years.

Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of South Carolina
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<u84f3g$jl7n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5611&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5611

From: troll@trolidan7.net (trolidous)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:08:32 -0700
 by: trolidous - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:08 UTC

On 6/13/23 10:51, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to
check s.b.p.

>> Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
>> amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
>> One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
>> a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
>> 'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
>> for years.
>
> Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
> talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
> could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
> posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> University of South Carolina
> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.

That is a moderated usenet group.

I get the idea that someone started talking about leper colonies
early on during COVID.

I might or might not have been banned from there. I could try and
see.

Whatever happened to the human connectome project? Is it still
going on?

One search word I came across earlier is 'brainbow'. It may not mean
anything.

If you used the words 'mind uploading' too much they would probably
consider you to be a kook. But if you asked around using the pitch idea
'we do not just use slide rules anymore' it is difficult to say what you
might find or end up doing.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<u84foe$jocc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5612&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5612

From: trolidan7@x.net (trolidous)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:19:42 -0700
 by: trolidous - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:19 UTC

On 6/13/23 10:51, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to
check s.b.p.

>> Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
>> amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
>> One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
>> a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
>> 'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
>> for years.
>
> Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
> talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
> could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
> posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> University of South Carolina
> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.

That is a moderated usenet group.

I get the idea that someone started talking about leper colonies
early on during COVID.

I might or might not have been banned from there. I could try and
see.

Whatever happened to the human connectome project? Is it still
going on?

One search word I came across earlier is 'brainbow'. It may not mean
anything.

If you used the words 'mind uploading' too much they would probably
consider you to be a kook. But if you asked around using the pitch idea
'we do not just use slide rules anymore' it is difficult to say what you
might find or end up doing.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<a846406d-05b3-446f-8ce8-84eb22381e43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5613

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 13:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:33 UTC

On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 12:08:34 PM UTC-7, trolidous wrote:
> On 6/13/23 10:51, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> > Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to
> check s.b.p.
> >
> >> Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
> >> amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
> >> One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
> >> a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
> >> 'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
> >> for years.
> >
> > Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
> > talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
> > could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
> > posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.
> >

> > Peter Nyikos
> > Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> > University of South Carolina
> > http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos
> I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.
>
> That is a moderated usenet group.
>
> I get the idea that someone started talking about leper colonies
> early on during COVID.
>
> I might or might not have been banned from there. I could try and
> see.
>
> Whatever happened to the human connectome project? Is it still
> going on?
>
> One search word I came across earlier is 'brainbow'. It may not mean
> anything.
>
> If you used the words 'mind uploading' too much they would probably
> consider you to be a kook. But if you asked around using the pitch idea
> 'we do not just use slide rules anymore' it is difficult to say what you
> might find or end up doing.

Very few people have been banned from talk.origins, and only for very egregious
and persistent efforts. Fire away.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<pPucnavLjfInQjj5nZ2dnZfqlJ_-fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5614&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5614

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:25 UTC

On 7/5/23 12:08 PM, trolidous wrote:
> On 6/13/23 10:51, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> > Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to
> check s.b.p.
> >
> >> Is there any other usenet group that has at least a reasonable
> >> amount of traffic in it that I could ask the question there?
> >> One with a newsgroup title that would indicate that it was
> >> a more appropriate topic for that group? There are a lot of
> >> 'dead usenet groups' that have only gotten intermittent spam
> >> for years.
> >
> > Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
> > talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
> > could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
> > posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.
> >

> > Peter Nyikos
> > Professor, Dept. of Mathematics   -- standard disclaimer--
> > University of South Carolina
> > http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos
>
> I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.

Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
two or three people who were ever banned

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<20230706081430.05c92358cf7724614150349a@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5615&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5615

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:14:30 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:14 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/23 12:08 PM, trolidous wrote:
> > On 6/13/23 10:51, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> > > Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I really need to
> > check s.b.p.

> > > Have you tried talk.origins? There is still a good bit of scientific
> > > talent in there, and your question is one of the better ones that
> > > could be asked there. That's because there is a great tolerance for
> > > posts and even threads that are technically off-topic.
> > >

> > > Peter Nyikos
> > > Professor, Dept. of Mathematics   -- standard disclaimer--
> > > University of South Carolina
> > > http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos
> >
> > I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.
>
> Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
> you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
> two or three people who were ever banned

I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
(whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
other posters aren't behaving!)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<K--dncnJJMhOWzv5nZ2dnZfqlJz8fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5616&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5616

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:51:15 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:51 UTC

On 7/6/23 12:14 AM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
> John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> check s.b.p.

>>> I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.
>>
>> Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
>> you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
>> two or three people who were ever banned
>>
> I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
> appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
> (whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
> other posters aren't behaving!)

That would seem to be a problem with your posting method, whatever it
is, not with TO. Unless your posts are crossposted to several groups;
such posts are automatically rejected.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<6d041a9a-9503-4ebf-a162-79f67281f9b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5626&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5626

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2nyikos@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 00:59 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 3:14:27 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
> John Harshman <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > check s.b.p.

> > > I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.
> >
> > Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
> > you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
> > two or three people who were ever banned
> >
> I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
> appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
> (whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
> other posters aren't behaving!)
>
> --
> Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<456a1afc-1fb9-4e8c-b3e2-424b544858f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5627&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5627

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2nyikos@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 01:09 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 3:14:27 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
> John Harshman <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > check s.b.p.

> > > I am not sure if I have been banned from talk.origins or not.
> >
> > Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
> > you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
> > two or three people who were ever banned
> >
> I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
> appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
> (whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
> other posters aren't behaving!)
>
> --
> Bah, and indeed Humbug.

I see you've overcome whatever problem you had: I had the pleasure
of replying to two of your posts in talk.origins today, on the very theme you mention!
Hope to see more from you over there, especially on scientific matters.

Peter Nyikos

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<20230726064554.40026867306c85f22446f4c8@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5638&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5638

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:45:54 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 05:45 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Nyikos <peter2nyikos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 3:14:27 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:25:14 -0700
> > John Harshman <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Did you do anything that would get you banned? Did the moderator tell
> > > you that you were banned? It seems unlikely, since I can only think of
> > > two or three people who were ever banned
> > >
> > I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
> > appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
> > (whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
> > other posters aren't behaving!)
> >
> > --
> > Bah, and indeed Humbug.
>
> I see you've overcome whatever problem you had: I had the pleasure
> of replying to two of your posts in talk.origins today, on the very theme you mention!
> Hope to see more from you over there, especially on scientific matters.
>

> Peter Nyikos

Thanks; I shall try to refrain from getting bogged down in interpersonal
conflicts.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Simple question - microscopy of neurons

<040b5858-5165-4cdc-8d4b-98e36c1ff291n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5639&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5639

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2nyikos@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:27 UTC

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 1:46:08 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Peter Nyikos <peter2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 3:14:27 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > > I've tried posting a few comments in TO, but I've never seen them
> > > appear; I guess new posters are automatically banned?!
> > > (whereas several of the locals seem to post an awful lot about how the
> > > other posters aren't behaving!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bah, and indeed Humbug.
> >
> > I see you've overcome whatever problem you had: I had the pleasure
> > of replying to two of your posts in talk.origins today, on the very theme you mention!
> > Hope to see more from you over there, especially on scientific matters.
> >

> > Peter Nyikos
> Thanks; I shall try to refrain from getting bogged down in interpersonal
> conflicts.
> --
> Bah, and indeed Humbug.

A very wise decision. Sooner or later, interpersonal conflicts will come to you
anyway if you show any sympathy for Intelligent Design (ID). On the other hand, if
you are honest and sincere, I will never make disparaging personal
comments about you, even if you honestly and sincerely make them about me.

Have you ever read Joseph Addison's 1711 essay, "Party Feeling"?
The dynamics of talk.origins are a microcosm of what he writes
so effectively about there.

Alas, this essay is so neglected, I could not find a copy
of it on the internet. Yet it also captures the spirit
of the political situation in the world at large,
including the highly polarized politics in the USA,
both in government and our society at large, at their most extreme.

Peter Nyikos