Stinginess with privileges is kindness in disguise. -- Guide to VAX/VMS Security, Sep. 1984

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around Jupiter

SubjectAuthor
* ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around JupiterMrPostingRobot
+* ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around JupiterR Kym Horsell
|`* Population IIIKym Horsell
| `- everything is connected: why phsyics is becoming comfortable withKym Horsell
`- ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around JupiterKym Horsell

1
ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around Jupiter

<tqg3g4$1309$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5562&group=alt.astronomy#5562

From: MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
Subject: ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around Jupiter
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 18:11:54 +1100
 by: MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 07:11 UTC

I must say, the timeline is interesting. A lot of things are set to
happen sometime in 2030 ;).

Could there be life on Jupiter's moons? Europe has set a launch date for a
space mission that hopes to find out
ABC News, 21 Jan 2023 07:04Z
Has any living object ever survived in the Jupiter system? Is it a
possibility? The European Space Agency is hoping to answer these questions
and more using its Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer satellite.

JUpiter ICy moons Explorer (JUICE)
JUICE is scheduled to be launched in 2023 on an Ariane 5 from the European
Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. After a 7 to 8 year cruise to Jupiter,
utilizing Earth and Venus gravity assists, JUICE will go into orbit around
Jupiter in 2031. The spacecraft will use flybys of Ganymede and Callisto to
optimize the orbit.
-- nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov
[Interesting timeline!]

--
Why the govt has started taking UFOs seriously
Yahoo News Australia, 20 Jan 2023 19:32Z

UFOs are no laughing matter for us: Behind the scenes of France's real
life 'Ovni' hunters
Phys.org, 17 Nov 2022
In France, the Study and Information Group on Unidentified Aerospace
Phenomena (GEIPAN), has been investigating unidentified aerial phenomena
(UAPs)-more...

We must get to the bottom of a potential UFO-nuclear connection: Nick Pope
Fox News, 17 Jan 2023 03:50Z
Former UK Ministry of Defense official Nick Pope discusses a bill that
would require the Dept of Defense to review ...

'Huge Cover-Up': GOP Lawmaker Says Feds Must 'Release Everything' On UFOs
HuffPost, 16 Jan 2023 18:09Z
A Republican lawmaker is accusing the govt of a cover-up on UFOs,
days after a declassified report revealed 100s of ...

Tennessee Congressman Says Bible Has `Pretty Clear' Evidence of UFO
Sighting, Calls on Feds to Stop the `Shenanigans' and Declassify Reports
Mediaite on MSN, 16 Jan 2023 03:28Z
Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) shared his unfiltered thoughts about UFOs on
NewsNation Sat, including accusing the federal ...
[A long media history here. But... I can't say I disagree].

Congressman: Government engaged in UFO `cover-up'
NewsNation, 21 Oct 2022 04:14Z
Rep. Tim Burchett, (R-Tenn.), says the US govt is engaged in "one of
the biggest cover ups we've ever seen." ...

Aeroplanes Will Soon Crash With UFOs? Read On
CNN-News18, 13 Aug 2022 09:02Z
A new claim, by US Congressman Tim Burchett, has taken social media by
amusement. He recently stated that the day when UFOs ...

Former Intelligence Director says UFO report raises concern US behind on
military technology
justthenews, 17 Jan 2023 0:33Z
John Ratcliffe is suggesting a new Pentagon report on UFOs should raise
concerns about more than alien life, saying it might ...

Re: ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around Jupiter

<tqg5kk$1nbs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5563&group=alt.astronomy#5563

From: kym@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 07:52:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 07:52 UTC

In alt.astronomy MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
> I must say, the timeline is interesting. A lot of things are set to
> happen sometime in 2030 ;).

Here's what the file on JPL's "Horizons" system has to say.
Some of the numbers may be a little out of date.

Revised: Apr 18, 2022 JUICE Spacecraft / Sun-Jupiter-Ganymede -28
https://sci.esa.int/web/juice

The Jupiter Icy moons Explorer ("JUICE") is an ESA mission planned for launch
April 5-25, 2023 from French Guiana (ELA-3) on an Ariane 5. Its period and
area of operations will overlap with NASA's Europa Clipper mission launching
in 2024.

PURPOSE
The JUICE orbiter will investigate Ganymede and evaluate its potential to
support life. Investigations of Europa and Callisto will compare these
Galilean moons. The three moons are thought to have internal liquid water
oceans, and are thought key to understanding the habitability of icy worlds.

Main science objectives for Ganymede (and Callisto to lesser extent):

* Characterize ocean layers & detect detect any subsurface water reservoirs
* Topographical, geological and compositional mapping of surface
* Study the physical properties of the icy crusts
* Characterisation of internal mass distribution and dynamics
* Investigate Ganymede's tenuous atmosphere
* Study Ganymede's magnetic field and interactions with Jovian magnetosphere

For Europa, the focus is on the chemistry essential to life. JUICE will also
provide the first subsurface sounding of the moon, and determination of icy
crust thickness over the most recently active regions.

TRAJECTORY OVERVIEW:
JUICE will have four gravity assist flybys of Venus and Earth and pass
through the asteroid Main-Belt twice before arriving at Jupiter in July, 2031.
There will be a Ganymede flyby 7.5 hours prior to Jupiter orbit insertion.

The first Europa flyby will be in July 2032. The spacecraft will be placed
in a high inclination orbit to allow exploration of Jupiter's polar regions
and to study Jupiter's magnetosphere.

In December 2034, the spacecraft will enter orbit around Ganymede, becoming
the first spacecraft to orbit a moon other than Earth's.

FLYBYS:
2024 Aug: Earth-Moon system (gravity-assist)
2025 Aug: Venus (gravity assist)
2026 Sep: Earth #2 (gravity assist)
2029 Jan: Earth #3 (gravity assist)
2029 Oct: Asteroid 223 Rosa [PROPOSED]
2031+ : more then 25 gravity assists, two Europa flybys

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
* 3-axis stabilized
* Power: solar panels, 85 m^2, 820W (EOM)
* High-gain antenna: 2.5 m, body fixed
* X- and Ka bands, downlink > 1.4 Gbit/day
* Propulsion: bi-propellant main engine plus 10 thrusters
Delta-V capability (2700 m/s, ~3000 kg of chemical propellant)
* Radiation level: 240 krad /10 mm Al solid sphere
* Dry mass at launch: ~1800 kg
* Deployable appendages:
10.6 meter boom for JMAG and RPWI
16-meter antenna for radar
Steerable medium gain antenna for comm and radio science

SCIENCE INSTRUMENTS (11):
* Jovis, Amorum ac Natorum Undique Scrutator (JANUS, camera system)
* Moons and Jupiter Imaging Spectrometer (MAJIS, VIS/IR imaging spectrograph)
* UV Imaging Spectrograph (UVS, UV imaging spectrograph)
* Sub-millimeter Wave Instrument (SWI, spectrometer)
* Ganymede Laser Altimeter (GALA)
* Radar for Icy Moons Exploration (RIME, ice-penetrating 9 GHz, w/16-m antenna)
* JUICE-Magnetometer (J-MAG)
* Particle Environment Package (PEP, suite of six sensors)
* Radio and Plasma Wave Investigation (RPWI)
* Gravity and Geophysics of Jupiter and Galilean Moons (3GM, Ka transponder)
* Planetary Radio Interferometer and Doppler Experiment (PRIDE)

TRAJECTORY: Pre-launch planning trajectory from ESA on 2022-April-14.

Name Start (TDB) Stop (TDB)
-------------------------------------------------- ----------- -----------
juice_mat_crema_5_0b23_1_20230405_20351005_v01 2023-Apr-06 2035-Oct-05

Population III

<78fefa65-3533-4be2-945f-3b7b3f553653n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5581&group=alt.astronomy#5581

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:32:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Population III
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 19:32 UTC

Another possible breakthrough brought to you by the JWST:

[Population 3:]
Astronomers Say They Have Spotted the Universe's First Stars
Theory has it that "Population III" stars brought light to the cosmos.
The James Webb Space Telescope may have just glimpsed them.
Quanta, 30 Jan 2023
A group of astronomers poring over data from the James Webb Space
Telescope (JWST) has glimpsed light from a rare isotope of helium in a
distant galaxy, which could indicate the presence of the universe's
very first generation of stars.
These long-sought, inaptly named "Population III" stars would have
been ginormous balls of hydrogen and helium [100,000 times bigger than
the sun] sculpted from the universe's primordial gas. Theorists
started imagining these first fireballs in the 1970s, hypothesizing
that, after short lifetimes, they exploded as supernovas, forging
heavier elements and spewing them into the cosmos. That star stuff
later gave rise to Population II stars more abundant in heavy
elements, then even richer Population I stars like our sun, as well as
planets, asteroids, comets and eventually life itself.

everything is connected: why phsyics is becoming comfortable with time and space as illusions

<4159fa2e-691b-416b-b711-9fa2017be2b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5582&group=alt.astronomy#5582

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:37:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: everything is connected: why phsyics is becoming comfortable with
time and space as illusions
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 19:37 UTC

This grab doesnt cover all the material in the Beast article. Apart from belaboring the exposition of entanglement it does touch on an intersting thing some people have been wondering about -- how everything in the universe could link back to the one thing -- call it the universal wave function.

[The Matrix:]
<https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-more-physicists-are-starting-to-think-space-a
nd-time-are-illusions>
Why More Physicists Are Starting to Think Space and Time Are "Illusions"
A concept called "quantum entanglement" suggests the fabric of the
universe is more interconnected than we think. And it also suggests
we have the wrong idea about reality.
The Daily Beast, 30 Jan 2023
This past December, the physics Nobel Prize was awarded for the
experimental confirmation of a quantum phenomenon known for more than 80
years: entanglement.
As envisioned by Albert Einstein and his collaborators in 1935, quantum
objects can be mysteriously correlated even if they are separated by large
distances. But as weird as the phenomenon appears, why is such an old idea
still worth the most prestigious prize in physics?
Coincidentally, just a few weeks before the new Nobel laureates were
honored in Stockholm, a different team of distinguished scientists from
Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Fermilab and Google reported that they had run a
process on Google's quantum computer that could be interpreted as a
wormhole. Wormholes are tunnels through the universe that can work like a
shortcut through space and time and are loved by science fiction fans, and
although the tunnel realized in this recent experiment exists only in a
2-dimensional toy universe, it could constitute a breakthrough for future
research at the forefront of physics.

Re: ESA's JUICE mission launches 14-30 Apr to look for life around Jupiter

<0a1bd589-6c18-4260-9824-f1eb31e50b97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5745&group=alt.astronomy#5745

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 11:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:00 UTC

The Juice mission to search for life around Jupiter got off OK 3 days back.

Some initial system checks show green and the prob is presently heading out from the sun around 3 kps. It'll be back next year to get a kick from the moon and the earth for the long trip out to Jupiter and the moons suspected of having underground saltwater oceans.

According to Horizons it's presently around RA 12h14m Dec -3.

The up-to-date JPL page for the mission looks like:

Revised: Apr 15, 2023 JUICE Spacecraft / Sun-Jupiter-Ganymede -28
https://sci.esa.int/web/juice

The Jupiter Icy moons Explorer ("JUICE") is an ESA mission launched April 14,
2023 @ 12:14 UTC from French Guiana (ELA-3) on an Ariane 5. Its period and
[...]

TRAJECTORY: Post-launch trajectory from ESA based on tracking data into
April 15, predicts after that.

Name Start (TDB) Stop (TDB)
juice_orbc_000031_230414_310721_v01.bsp 2023-Apr-14 2031-Jul-21