Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravity theories

SubjectAuthor
* These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Futurea425couple
+* These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the FutureThomas
|`- These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Futurepalsing
+* These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Futurecasagiannoni
|`* These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About theDaniel65
| +- These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About theWhisper
| `- These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Futurecasagiannoni
+- NASA/DOE team up to create observatory on far side of moonKym Horsell
`* more stuff the pentagon cant let peole think about -- space dustKym Horsell
 `* quantum drive to launch for orbital test in OctoberKym Horsell
  +- Newton Is Up On The RoofKym Horsell
  +* outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravity theoriesKym Horsell
  |`- outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravityDaniel65
  `- the hunt for planet 9 goes south -- outer solar system may be happyKym Horsell

1
quantum drive to launch for orbital test in October

<3d453d62-ea98-4bec-845d-7f65f82aed61n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5306&group=alt.astronomy#5306

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:25:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: quantum drive to launch for orbital test in October
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:25 UTC

In what may herald a new footnote in the theory of motion, a couple companies investing some research dollars in a "quantum drive" will launch an experimental sat fitted with 2
"reactionless" engines this Oct.
A test that was slated for this month was scrubbed after a screw-up in a sub-contractor.

The drives are based on a "contraversial" theory that adds at least a footnote to Newtonian theories of motion. According to the
quantum version inertia comes in packets like
energy, time and distance and in the right
circumstances it can not drop to 0.
The same kind of considerations apply to
atoms -- the electrons dont just fall into the protons -- and the shiny new "time crystals" where the ground state of motion is not zero motion so must always be moving, forming a pattern across time.

The experimental engines theoretically create a very tiny "push" against the rocket they are attached to but do not need to throw anything backwards to create it. If correct, they
will creation motion just from a power supply. (Some other parts of the theory argue that small thrusts are more efficient that large ones for building up velocity and in the right cicumstances might enter an "over unity" regime).

The small sat fitted with the 2 engines will try to raise and lower its orbit to prove the tech works. The otherwise "dumb" sat has no other engine to even tweak its orbit. The package will be launched on a Space-X mission.

Already the company says it
has tested its engines in 3rd-party vac chambers for 100s of hrs and had the results audited by independent scientists to ensure neither company is just throwing away its money because the devices are building up a static charge that just "seems" to create thrust, or some such other error.

****
Impossible Quantum Drive That Defies Known Laws of Physics Scheduled for "Do
or Die" October Space Flight

The Debrief, 10 Jul 2023

A controversial new type of electric propulsion system that physicists
say defies Newton's Laws of Motion, known as the Quantum Drive, has
secured a spot on a SpaceX rocket and will launch into low Earth orbit
(LEO) this October.

<https://thedebrief.org/impossible-quantum-drive-that-defies-known-laws-of-physics-scheduled-for-do-or-die-october-space-flight/>

Newton Is Up On The Roof

<cfbf7a3e-8e83-48f8-8878-499dc6ed548en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5372&group=alt.astronomy#5372

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Newton Is Up On The Roof
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 02:57 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 8:25:55 AM UTC+10, Kym Horsell wrote:
> In what may herald a new footnote in the theory of motion, a couple companies investing some research dollars in a "quantum drive" will launch ...

It might be an idee to put a couple dollars into stock
of relevant companies about now.

[Newton Is On The Roof!]
Smoking-gun evidence for modified gravity at low acceleration from Gaia
observations of wide binary stars
Phys.org, 08 Aug 2023 20:48Z

--
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

Welcome to the very first official UFO hearing in American history
It's a historic day for everybody who has always wondered if we are alone in
the universe. Although there have already been multiple hearings on UFOs or
UAPs, this is the first hearing in which credible witnesses will testify
under oath in front of Congress. All representatives already offered their
initial remarks and gave all three witnesses the chance to make their oath
before the hearing starts. These witnesses are former Commander David Fravor,
former fighter jet operator Ryan Graves, and former Intelligence Official
David Grusch.
-- Marca.com, Wed Jul 26 10:48:24 EDT 2023

There is something there -- measurable light, multiple instruments -- and
yet it seems to move in directions inconsistent with what we know of physics
or science more broadly. And that, to me, poses questions of tremendous
interest, as well as potential national security significance.
-- Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., 2022 House Intelligence Committee hearing
on UAPs.

[No Good Deed Goes Unpunished:]
Whether you work in the UFO warehouse at Area 52, are the surgeon who
handles the alien autopsies, or are the designer of the amazing
climate cleaning machine, if your work is classified, you can't blow
the whistle on it for the public good and expect the law to work in
your favor.
-- David W Brown, "How to Blow the Whistle if You Work With Flying
Saucers and Their Alien Pilots". A letter from Clearance Jobs, an
organization representing govt workers with high security clearances.

A vast array of our most sophisticated sensors, including space-based
platforms, have been utilized by different agencies, typically in
triplicate, to observe and accurately identify the out-of-this-world
nature, performance, and design of these anomalous machines, which are
then determined not to be of earthly origin.
-- Jonathan Grey, NASIC intel officer, Wright Patterson AFB, 06 Jun 2023

[Secret UFO recovery program blown open:]
I hope this revelation serves as an ontological shock sociologically
and provides a generally uniting issue for nations of the world to
re-assess their priorities.
-- David Grusch, 05 Jun 2023
[Talking to Les Kean et al for The Debrief, Grusch called for an end to
nearly a century of global UFO secrecy and warned that humanity needed to
prepare itself for "an unexpected, non-human intelligence contact scenario"].

[David Grusch's] assertion concerning the existence of a terrestrial arms
race occurring sub-rosa over the past eighty years focused on reverse
engineering technologies of unknown origin is fundamentally correct, as
is the indisputable realization that at least some of these technologies
of unknown origin derive from non-human intelligence.
-- Col Karl Nell (ret), 06 Jun 2023

The US government portrays itself as the world's preeminent
superpower, so to acknowledge that there are things in their
airspace, whatever they are, that are faster and more manoeuvrable
and run rings around fast jets doesn't play very well.
So there's the embarrassment factor, and maybe a little bit of
fear that either an adversary has made a quantum leap in
development, which has left the US in a poor second place, or, as
some believe, this really is extra terrestrial, in which case we're
not at the top of the food chain anymore.
-- Nick Pope, 02 May 2023

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts,
foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that
is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market
is a nation that is afraid of its people.
-- JFK

Most Sun-like stars formed billions of years before the Sun, a time lag
much longer than the time it takes chemical rockets to cross the Milky
Way disk. If only one out of the tens of billions of Earth-Sun systems
in the Milky Way galaxy gave rise to a peaceful, space-exploring
technological civilization over the past 10 billion years, and if that
civilization launched probes at an annual cost of 2 trillion dollars
for a million years, then there would be ten thousand objects from this
spectacular civilization within the solar system now.
-- Avi Loeb, "The Allegory of the Cave: An Interstellar Interpretation",
The Debrief, 15 Mar 2023

The most extreme life-forms in the universe
New Scientist, 26 June 2008
There's hardly a niche on Earth that hasn't been colonised. Life can be
found in scalding, acidic hot pools, in the driest deserts, and in ...
[Interestingly, if life is *not* found in the warm salty sub-surface
oceans of some of our system's moons it gives more weight to the idea
that life could not have formed spontaneously on Earth but came from
"outside" e.g. via meteorites aka Panspermia].

Section 8. Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) Reports
Persons wanting to report UFO/unexplained phenomena activity
should contact a ... data collection center, such as the National UFO
Reporting Center, etc.
-- www.faa.gov, as at 30 Nov 2022

But what is true and I'm actually being serious here, is there are, there's
footage and records of objects in the skies that we don't know exactly what
they are, We can't explain how they moved, their trajectory. They did not
have an easily explainable pattern.
-- Pres Barack Obama, "The Late Show", 2021

"I think some of the phenomena we're going to be seeing continues to be
unexplained and might, in fact, be some type of phenomenon that is the
result of something that we don't yet understand."
--Ex-CIA Director John Brennan

"[F]or the few cases in all domains--space, air, and sea--that do
demonstrate potentially anomalous characteristics, AARO exists to help the
DOD, IC, and interagency resolve those anomalous cases. In doing so, AARO is
approaching these cases with the highest level of objectivity and analytic
rigor. This includes physically testing and employing modeling and
simulation to validate our analyses and underlying theories, and
peer-reviewing those results within the U.S. government, industry partners,
and appropriately cleared academic institutions before reaching any
conclusions."
-- Dr Sean Kirkpatrick, Senate Hearings on UFOs, 19 Apr 2023.

Unidentified aerial phenomena I. Observations of events
B.E. Zhilyaev, V. N. Petukhov, V. M. Reshetnyk
Main Astronomical Observatory, NAS of Ukraine,
Zabalotnoho 27, 03680, Kyiv, Ukraine
[...] We present a broad range of UAPs. We see them everywhere. We observe a
significant number of objects whose nature is not clear. Flights of single,
group and squadrons of the ships were detected, moving at speeds from 3 to
15 degrees per second. Some bright objects exhibit regular brightness
variability in the range of 10 - 20 Hz. Two-site observations of UAPs at a
base of 120 km with two synchronised cameras allowed the detection of
a variable object, at an altitude of 1170 km. It flashes for one hundredth
of a second at an average of 20 Hz. [...]
An object contrast makes it possible to estimate the distance using
colourimetric methods. [Objects with 0 albedo] are observed in the
troposphere at distances up to 10-12 km. We estimate their size from 3 to 12
meters and speeds up to 15 km/s. [...]
[Astronomers in Ukraine have undertaken their own independent survey
of objects they see flying over the Kyiv region at speeds around 15
km/sec. They are watching the daytime sky at the zenith and in front
of the moon. They see many objects -- some bright and some dark,
different sizes. They travel often singly but sometimes in large
groups. They report brightness is linked with speed. The spectrum
of bright objects is reportedly not reflected sunlight. Objects
have been spotted inside the atm upto ~10 km but also out to ~1000 km
above the earth, travelling up to ~1000 km/sec. They are not likely
anything sent by Russia or any other country].

These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<kZqNL.1707797$vBI8.1640052@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5676&group=alt.astronomy#5676

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 11:15:27 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 19:15 UTC

from
https://gizmodo.com/big-upcoming-deep-space-missions-nasa-esa-russia-1850164273

These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future
From trips to Venus and Jupiter to investigations of asteroids and
methane-soaked moons, the future of space exploration looks incredibly
bright.
By
George Dvorsky
PublishedFebruary 28, 2023
Comments (8)
Conceptual image of Europa Clipper mission.
Image: NASA

Space exploration takes tons of planning, technological expertise, and
daring. And given the long timescales involved, they often require
considerable patience. Many upcoming missions to deep space aren’t
happening any time soon, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be excited.

Our investigations of the final frontier have only just begun. Our
immediate neighborhood—the solar system—has barely been touched by our
species, with many places still grossly under-explored. Thankfully, a
number of missions planned for the coming years and decades will help us
to fill some of these gaps.

All of the missions described in this article have been approved and are
either already underway or currently in development. So barring
something unforeseen, they are going to happen. For clarification, we
deliberately chose to exclude missions to the Moon, not because they’re
uninteresting or unimportant, but because they’re amazing in their own
right and deserve a dedicated article.

Slideshow
2 / 12
JUICE, the Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer
The European Space Agency’s JUpiter ICy moons Explorer, or JUICE
spacecraft, is set to launch on April 13, 2023, atop an Ariane 5 rocket.
The probe will head to Jupiter, but its primary targets are three icy
moons: Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa. These moons are of great interest
to both planetary scientists and astrobiologists, as they feature
dynamic surfaces and possibly warm liquid oceans tucked beneath their
icy surfaces.

JUICE is expected to arrive at Jupiter in 2031 following an eight-year
journey. The spacecraft will make history in 2034 by becoming the first
probe to fully orbit a moon other than our own. At 10,600 pounds, JUICE
is unusually heavy, but its 10 onboard instruments will undoubtedly
collect a dazzling array of data, including the chemical compositions of
each moon and their complex surface topography, among many other
measurements. Indeed, JUICE is poised to redefine our understanding of
the Galilean moons.

3 / 12
Psyche, a mission to a metallic world

List slides
Conceptual image of Psyche mission to a heavily metallic asteroid.
Conceptual image of Psyche mission to a heavily metallic asteroid.
Image: NASA
Set for launch on October 10, 2023, NASA’s Psyche will be the first
spacecraft to explore a metallic asteroid. The asteroid, also called
Psyche, measures 140 miles (226 kilometers) across and is located in the
main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Scientists suspect the
asteroid of being the leftover core of a planetesimal, that is, the
initial building block of a solar system planet. In addition to testing
a new communications system, the Psyche probe will use its
high-resolution cameras to visualize the asteroid, use radio waves to
measure the object’s gravity, and employ a spectrometer to identify its
basic elements. Psyche will reach its target in 2026, where it will
orbit for 21 months. The probe was supposed to launch in 2022, but
mission development problems resulted in the delay.

SPACEFLIGHT
These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future
From trips to Venus and Jupiter to investigations of asteroids and
methane-soaked moons, the future of space exploration looks incredibly
bright.
By
George Dvorsky
PublishedFebruary 28, 2023
Comments (8)

4 / 12
Japan’s Martian Moon eXploration (MMX)
List slides
Conceptual image of MMX mission.
Conceptual image of MMX mission.
Image: JAXA
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has a neat mission planned
for later this decade called Martian Moon eXploration, or MMX. The probe
will visit the two Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, to test new
technologies and investigate these enigmatic celestial bodies.
Excitingly, the probe will attempt to collect surface samples from
Phobos and then return to Earth in 2029 with its precious cargo. JAXA
says MMX will “help improve technology for future planet and satellite
exploration,” such as tech needed for round-trips to Mars. There’s also
some important science involved, as MMX will seek to clarify the origin
of the two Martian moons.

5 / 12
Lucy mission to Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids
List slides
Conceptual image of Lucy mission.
Conceptual image of Lucy mission.
Image: NASA
NASA’s Lucy probe launched in October 2021, and despite an annoying
problem with its power-supplying solar array, which didn’t deploy fully
after launch, the spacecraft is working properly. Lucy is currently en
route to Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids—two discernable clumps of asteroids
that travel ahead and behind Jupiter along its orbital path around the Sun.

More on this story: 7 Things to Know About NASA’s First Mission to the
Jupiter Trojan Asteroids
Jupiter’s Trojans have been trapped in this configuration for billions
of years, making them tantalizing targets for scientific investigation.
As potential precursors to planetary formation, the Trojans could shed
new light on the ways in which organic materials and water were
delivered to Earth. The plan is for Lucy to investigate two main belt
asteroids prior to reaching the Trojans. The probe will begin its tour
of the Trojans in 2027, starting with Eurybates and its binary partner
Queta, followed by Polymele, Leucus, Orus, Patroclus, and Menoetius.
Lucy will investigate both Trojan clusters, which are located 500
million miles (800 million kilometers) from the Sun.

6 / 12
NASA’s Europa Clipper
List slides
Conceptual image of NASA’s Europa Clipper mission.
Conceptual image of NASA’s Europa Clipper mission.
Image: NASA
NASA’s Europa Clipper is slated to launch in 2024 and reach its target
in 2030. Once in orbit around Jupiter, the probe will perform nearly 50
close flybys of its moon Europa, coming as close as 16 miles (25 km) to
its icy surface. A primary goal of the mission is to spot potentially
habitable locations beneath Europa’s icy shell. To that end, the probe
will analyze Europa using an array of instruments, including cameras,
spectrometers, and ice-penetrating radar. With Europa Clipper, we’ll
finally be able to peer inside this fascinating frozen world.

7 / 12
Hera mission to re-visit Dimorphos
List slides
Conceptual image of Hera and its two cubesats.
Conceptual image of Hera and its two cubesats.
Image: ESA/Science Office
Hera is the sequel mission to NASA’s wonderfully successful DART mission
to deflect a harmless asteroid. To recap, DART—short for Double Asteroid
Redirection Test—smashed into the tiny Dimorphos asteroid in September
2021, altering its orbital trajectory around its larger companion,
Didymos, by a whopping 32 minutes (the team would’ve been happy with a
73-second change). The purpose of this exercise was to test a potential
planetary defense strategy against legitimately threatening asteroids.

Related story: NASA’s DART Is No More, but This Future Probe Is Hoping
to Take a Second Look
Scientists are still in the process of evaluating DART and its full
effect on Dimorphos, but the upcoming Hera mission, in which the
European Space Agency (ESA) probe will revisit the system in December
2026, will provide added color. Hera will evaluate potential changes to
Dimorphos’s orbital trajectory and surface composition, including signs
of a potential crater. The probe will bring along two companions,
CubeSats named Milani and Juventas, which will perform spectral analyses
of the lingering dust cloud created by the impact.

8 / 12
A Dragonfly on Saturn moon’s Titan
List slides
Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
Image: NASA/JHU-APL
As NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter has successfully demonstrated on Mars,
it’s possible for us to fly aircraft on other worlds. The next important
phase in this capability is Dragonfly—a rotorcraft that’s set to arrive
on Saturn’s moon Titan in 2034. Over the duration of its planned
2.7-year mission, NASA’s Dragonfly will explore Titan’s sand dunes,
study the moon’s complex weather and atmosphere, and hunt for signs of
prebiotic chemical processes. Dragonfly is expected to launch in 2027.

Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
Image: NASA/Johns Hopkins APL
The dual-quadrotor drone will have no difficulties flying through
Titan’s thick atmosphere, but it will have to endure temperatures as low
as -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Should all go well, Dragonfly will perform
around 25 flights and fly a total distance of roughly 110 miles (180
kilometers). Personally, I can’t wait for high-resolution images of
Titan’s methane lakes.

Screw it!
After the work of loading all the 'slides' when
I hit send, they got lost.
Screw it, go to the citation. It got good pictures.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<ef75e3d1-35d0-48ee-9896-6137b0e589aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5682&group=alt.astronomy#5682

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 17:22:09 -0800 (PST)
From: canope234@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 01:22 UTC

On Monday, March 6, 2023 at 2:15:50 PM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:
> [...]
> study the moon’s complex weather and atmosphere, and hunt for signs of
> prebiotic chemical processes. Dragonfly is expected to launch in 2027.
>
> Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
> Conceptual image of NASA’s Dragonfly drone.
> Image: NASA/Johns Hopkins APL
> The dual-quadrotor drone will have no difficulties flying through
> Titan’s thick atmosphere, but it will have to endure temperatures as low
> as -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Should all go well, Dragonfly will perform
> around 25 flights and fly a total distance of roughly 110 miles (180
> kilometers). Personally, I can’t wait for high-resolution images of
> Titan’s methane lakes.
>
> Screw it!
> After the work of loading all the 'slides' when
> I hit send, they got lost.
> Screw it, go to the citation. It got good pictures.
The more stuff we send into space, the less mass of earth. The lighter we get the sooner we will burn in the sun.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<2f27d7f7-9e3e-4698-bd62-c2bbd19e5d3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5683&group=alt.astronomy#5683

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 18:56:55 -0800 (PST)
From: pnalsing@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 02:56 UTC

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 5:22:10 PM UTC-8, Thomas wrote:

> The more stuff we send into space, the less mass of earth. The lighter we get the sooner we will burn in the sun.

Oops, there is a problem with this theory...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/science/earth-size-mass.html#:~:text=This%20steady%20flow%20of%20dust,mass%20to%20Earth%20every%20day.

Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<j0li0i1sb2gu77f3ffoic1pohkmsjskcqf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5684&group=alt.astronomy#5684

From: casagiannoni@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 22:48:08 -0500
 by: casagiannoni@optimum.net - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:48 UTC

Time = Distance / Speed

Even at speeds approaching light ( c ) , ( which we will never get
anywhere near in any case ) , times will still be prohibiitive.

At current max speeds, it will take over 100 millenia = 100,000 years,
just to reach our closest star neighbor !

Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<tuc5st$1c9qj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5685&group=alt.astronomy#5685

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the
Future
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 19:37:47 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:37 UTC

casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote on 9/3/23 2:48 pm:

> Time = Distance / Speed
>
> Even at speeds approaching light ( c ) , ( which we will never get
> anywhere near in any case ) , times will still be prohibiitive.
>
> At current max speeds, it will take over 100 millenia = 100,000
> years, just to reach our closest star neighbor !

Oww, hello, the time taken is getting shorter!!

Don't you usually claim it will take "over 120 millennia = 120,000
years, just to reach our closest star neighbour"??
--
Daniel

Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<6409c647$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5686&group=alt.astronomy#5686

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 22:43:06 +1100
Future
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
From: whisper@ozemail.com.au (Whisper)
 by: Whisper - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 11:43 UTC

On 9/03/2023 7:37 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
> casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote on 9/3/23 2:48 pm:
>>
>> Time = Distance / Speed
>>
>> Even at speeds approaching light ( c ) , ( which we will never get
>> anywhere near in any case ) , times will still be prohibiitive.
>>
>> At current max speeds, it will take over 100 millenia = 100,000
>> years, just to reach our closest star neighbor !
>>
> Oww, hello, the time taken is getting shorter!!
>
> Don't you usually claim it will take "over 120 millennia = 120,000
> years, just to reach our closest star neighbour"??

That's only in theory. In reality we can never get there.

Re: These Upcoming Missions to Deep Space Have Us Stoked About the Future

<jiek0ip364hllb40q9ejio34v4oqqh59sm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5687&group=alt.astronomy#5687

From: casagiannoni@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 15:00:11 -0500
 by: casagiannoni@optimum.net - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:00 UTC

>Don't you usually claim it will take "over 120 millennia = 120,000
>years, just to reach our closest star neighbour"??

These are just estimates "off the cuff"

DO THE SIMPLE MATH !

NASA/DOE team up to create observatory on far side of moon

<ee733b92-6464-441c-bc1a-1eb7529ddeb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5691&group=alt.astronomy#5691

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: NASA/DOE team up to create observatory on far side of moon
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 06:54 UTC

From the Far Side of the Moon, NASA and the DOE Plan to Search for Signals
from the Dark Ages of the Universe
The Debrief, 14 Mar 2023
The "Dark Ages of the Universe" will be the focus of a new experiment
conducted jointly by NASA and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE),
involving the placement of a new science observatory on the far side
of the Moon.
[The robot observatory will have to work at night so presumably needs
to be nuclear powered. The conditions will be challenging -- +250 deg
F during the day and -250 deg F during the night. That's weather
without GHG. The project could help develop systems for use in future
human colonisation of the moon. The package is pencilled in for
delivery sometime 2025 by CLPS. If you want a package delivered to the
ass-side of the moon and it absolutely has to be there this decade
then they are the people to call, apparently].

--
The most extreme life-forms in the universe
New Scientist, 26 June 2008
There's hardly a niche on Earth that hasn't been colonised. Life can be
found in scalding, acidic hot pools, in the driest deserts, and in ...
[Interestingly, if life is *not* found in the warm salty sub-surface
oceans of some of our system's moons it gives more weight to the idea
that life could not have formed spontaneously on Earth but came from
"outside" e.g. via meteorites aka Panspermia].

UFO `Flew Directly' Between Two F/A-18 Super Hornets; Ex-Fighter Pilot Calls
For Inquiry Into Unidentified Aerial Phenomena
EurAsian Times, 14 Mar 2023 17:48Z
A former US Navy pilot urged government agencies to look into UFO sightings
over the United States or face a "national security" threat.

Pentagon Study Says Some 'UFO' Sightings Defy Physics as NASA Gets Serious
Too. Alien Confirmation Close?
Divya Bharat, 14 Mar 2023 09:17Z
A UFO that defies physics? No, it's not us saying that, but a Pentagon
study. In a new draft study, which is yet to be peer reviewed, Sean
Kirkpatrick,...

26 years later, the Phoenix Lights remain one of America's biggest UFO events
12News.com, 13 Mar 2023 12:28Z
It was one of the world's biggest UFO sightings; hundreds, if not thousands
of people reported seeing a V of six lights pass over the city.

'Sorry for killing most of humanity': New exhibition in San Francisco
explores the dangers of AI
EuroNews, 13 Mar 2023 05:59Z

Spy balloons steered national security toward the sky: Are `exotic' UFOs next?
The Hill, 13 Mar 2023 04:28Z
The near-hysteria over this now "identified" flying object did serve to
highlight a far more important national-security issue, namely, the
continuing...

UFO sightings put rural Japan community on intergalactic map
Japan Today, 12 Mar 2023 21:54Z
A tiny rural community in northeastern Japan known for numerous UFO
sightings is promoting itself as a "home to aliens" in a bid to revitalize
its local economy and put itself on the intergalactic map ...

Skinny cylindrical-shaped UFO flying near Baghdad is seen in six ...
Daily Mail, 07 Mar 2023
Images of a UFO were taken from a video filmed by a thermal camera in a
United States Air Force Reaper drone in May 2022; The six images ...

Pentagon UFO chief says alien mothership in our solar system possible
Military Times, 09 Mar 2023 16:02Z
The yet-published research paper discusses the possibility that visitors
from other galaxies may already be trekking across our solar system.

Congressman Says Alien UFO Tech Is Being 'Reverse Engineered' in Secret
Newsweek, 07 Mar 2023 17:07Z
Recovered UFO technology may be "being reverse-engineered right now,"
but we "don't understand" how it functions, according ...

We Have a Real UFO Problem. And It's Not Balloons.
Politico, 28 Feb 2023
On a clear, sunny day in April 2014, two F/A-18s took off for an air
combat training mission off the coast of Virginia. The jets, part of
my Navy fighter...
[Former Navy pilot relates how military aircraft regularly encounter
objects in the sky that have performance characteristics he can't
explain and are not balloons].

more stuff the pentagon cant let peole think about -- space dust

<006a981d-dd8b-4754-b7d6-d8dfee91ac43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5707&group=alt.astronomy#5707

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 04:04:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: more stuff the pentagon cant let peole think about -- space dust
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:04 UTC

Not only do rocks and other things arrive in our solar system
from other parts of the Milk Way -- the atoms in our bodies
of course were produced in stars billions of years ago and billions
of light years from where we are now -- but an easy way to detect
signs of life elsewhere in at least a 100,000 light years might be
to do the "Lock Ness" experiment. Check the dust that comes here from
interstellar space for alien DNA. Or whatever the H*ll else they use
to encode their corporeal form. Cough. If any.

Of course the dust has to be 5-sigmas guaranteed to be untouched by
earthly grease, grime or fingerprints. You'd have to go out there
(wave hand in direction of Sirius or maybe Procyon or it might have
been Rigel K or whatever the kids are calling it these days) and *gits* it.
But we are getting good at that now.

Prof Totani et al have proposed a dust bag operation as being more
certain and cheaper than sitting and listing to what they used to
call radios probably noone is using anymore except the dumb kids.

<https://thedebrief.org/extrasolar-space-dust-could-contain-signs-of-alien-life-new-paper-suggests/>

Extrasolar Space Dust Could Contain Signs of Alien Life, New Paper Suggests

Christopher Plain
The Debrief

A new paper by a Japanese researcher says that microscopic forms of
alien life from other planets outside of our solar system may hitch a
ride to earth on particles of space dust. According to the paper, even
if these life forms don't survive the trip across the cosmos,
researchers should still be able to find ancient fossils, or possibly
DNA fragments from these particles of space dust, if there is life on
the planets from which they come.

Presently, there is no mapped-out plan to collect these particles for
analysis. However, the lead author behind the paper told The Debrief
that along with searching the earth's orbit for these extrasolar dust
particles, they might also be found deep within the earth's oceans or
even buried in the ice of Antarctica. Furthermore, he noted that even
extremely tiny dust particles might be enough to prove that life exists
on other planets.

"I proposed that the best size is one micrometer because it is
comparable to the size of (the) smallest microbes," said Professor
Tomonori Totani from the University of Tokyo in an email to The
Debrief. "Such particles are easily ejected from their home planetary
system because of solar radiation pressure."

Don't worry, we'll never run out of oil
Interesting Engineering, 9 Nov 2022
That being said, at current consumption, we have by some accounts an
estimated 47 years of oil left to be extracted. That equates to somewhere in
the region of 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves. Other sources up
this estimate a bit, but most agree we have around 50 years left, give or take.

[...]

UN considers role of Int'l Court of Justice in climate change
Al Jazeera, 29 Mar 2023 05:24Z
Pacific island state Vanuatu - one of the world's most vulnerable to climate
change - has led the UN initiative.

Two-thirds of Australians say not enough being done to protect from unsafe AI
ABC News, 29 Mar 2023 04:27Z
A report by the peak industry body for artificial intelligence says it is
time for government to develop an AI plan and that the lack of one is
hampering the industry and exposing Australians to risk.
Taxidermist acquires serious bacterial infection at Queensland Museum in
Australian first
ABC News, 29 Mar 2023 04:26Z
An investigation found one woman, who was a taxidermist, acquired a chronic
case of Q Fever while at work and suffered a serious spinal abscess.

New California gas price law another defeat for oil industry
KXTV, 29 Mar 2023 02:46Z
SACRAMENTO, Calif. It was just a few weeks ago that California Gov.
Gavin Newsom called the oil industry the second most ...

Russian whose daughter drew anti-war picture flees ahead of two-year penal
colony sentence
ABC News, 29 Mar 2023 01:44Z
A Russian man who was investigated by police after his daughter drew an anti-
war picture at school flees as a court sentences him to two years in a penal
colony.

Councillor demands inquiry into UFOs
heraldscotland, 28 Mar 2023 15:37Z
Local councillor Billy Buchanan wants Ministry of Defence experts to carry
out a top-level inquiry into the thousands of cases in the area of the
Stirlingshire village. Mr Buchanan, who represents ...

A Controversial Rocket Technology Could Challenge a Basic Law of Physics
Inverse, 27 Mar 2023
[IVO Ltd has developed an electric drive based on a concept of
quantized inertia. The theory is based on the unusual movement of
stars around galaxies and is similar to known quantum rules that
explain why electrons don't collapse into the nucleus. The company
says its drive has been tested by independent groups and its micro
thrusters have developed power consistent with their calculations and
not accepted physics. The devices will now be tested in space. It
will either herald a breakthrough in propulsion systems or we'll all

Energy agency chief warns transition to renewables is way off track, issues
warning on stranded assets
CNBC, 28 Mar 2023 08:36Z

EXCLUSIVE: Pentagon REFUSES to release footage of three UFOs shot down over
Alaska by US fighter jets sidewinder missiles - despite admitting that ...
Daily Mail, 27 Mar 2023 17:47Z
Pentagon officials told DailyMail.com they have footage of three
unidentified objects shot down by US fighter jets over ...

HyperCycle is on the Threshold of Enabling a New Route Towards Artificial
General Intelligence
The Debrief, 27 Mar 2023
A new company called HyperCycle is enabling artificial intelligence
systems to connect in an unprecedented fashion, allowing them to
cooperate and compete at the smallest modular levels and bringing the
world closer to-and ensuring a safer-global AI network.
Although the idea of a worldwide AI that can work without human
intervention is often portrayed in science fiction as a potential
doomsday scenario, the minds behind HyperCycle say their approach is
just the opposite.
In fact, they say HyperCycle is designed not only to help bring this
type of generalized AI to life but that it may very well be the one
sure architecture that also provides the security and reliability such
a system will require to ensure humanity benefits from a decentralized
AI system, as opposed to facing a technological doomsday scenario.

[Stun Gas!]
Hidden cameras capture carbon dioxide stunning in Australia's pork
industry
ABC/7.30, 27 Mar 2023 08:47Z
The use of carbon dioxide to stun pigs before slaughter is legal and
widespread - but activists believe the industry doesn't want you to know
what it looks like.

Decades after seminal Montana UFO events, military vets brief Pentagon
calgarysun, 27 Mar 2023 11:34Z
Robert Salas was a 26-year-old U.S. Air Force lieutenant cocooned 20 metres
below the Montana prairie overseeing weaponry ...

outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravity theories

<a1c9182c-cf00-4bbe-b9a4-85edfe2106dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5807&group=alt.astronomy#5807

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:38:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravity theories
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:38 UTC

While I've long been a fan of alternative gravity theories esp in the nonragvity range -- think of them as creeping up on a full-blown theory of quantum gravity -- the hunt for Planet Nine may now be involved.

While some groups are hunting for a theorized 9th planet in the outer solar system that might explain the observation of a slew of high-inclination orbits out there, someone has now cranked the handle and finds the accumulated effect of the rest of the galazy could also explain the observations and support a modified theory of gravity.

Newsgroups: alt.global-warming
From: MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com

<https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Plot_thickens_in_the_hunt_for_a_ninth_planet_999.html>
Plot thickens in the hunt for a ninth planet
Space Daily, 28 Sep 2023 17:25Z
Clinton, NY (SPX). How many planets are there in the solar system? What laws
govern their motion? These questions of antiquity...

Brown Publishes Study on MOND, Planet Nine Hypothesis
Hamilton College, 29 Sep 2023 0:23Z
Modified Newtonian Dynamics as an Alternative to the Planet Nine
Hypothesis," co-authored by Associate Professor of Physics Kate Brown,...

--
Desalination system could produce freshwater that is cheaper than tap water
MIT News, 28 Sep 2023

Solar-powered airship will circle the world non-stop without fuel
New Atlas, 28 Sep 2023 18:33Z

[Plenty Of Food!]
Europe's olive oil supply running out after drought - and the odd hailstorm
The Guardian, 28 Sep 2023 17:25Z
Heatwaves around Mediterranean have damaged harvests and forced producers to
import from South America.

Mile-long 'spaceship' is spotted by more than 300 people in Texas in one of
America's most compelling UFO cases ever, reveals new Steven Spielberg ...
Daily Mail, 28 Sep 2023 16:26Z
Engineer Robert Powell analyzed 2.8 million radar returns from the 2008 UFO
case. Powell told DailyMail.com the FAA has ...

Antitrust lawsuit accuses Amazon of harming consumers and small businesses
PBS NewsHour, 28 Sep 2023 09:41Z

Extreme weather melts 10 per cent of Swiss glaciers
Perth Now, 28 Sep 2023 08:00Z
Swiss glaciers have lost as much ice in two years as they had in the three
decades before 1990, with experts describing the ...

[Retreat from the surface!]
Demand for underground homes rising along with bushfire risk, temperatures
ABC News, 27 Sep 2023 22:51Z
Designers of "earth-sheltered" homes say interest in living underground is
rising as the risk of bushfires increases and more ...

Autumn heat wave could topple centuries-old records in the Midwest
AccuWeather, 27 Sep 2023 17:08Z

Nature crisis: One in six species at risk of extinction in Great Britain
BBC, 27 Sep 2023 18:15Z
Their State of the Nature report found 16% of 10,000 mammals, plants, insects,
birds and amphibians assessed were threatened. They include UK wildlife
icons such as the turtle dove and hazel dormouse.

Largest untapped UK oil field approved for development amid environmental
backlash
CNBC, 27 Sep 2023 07:43Z

E.U. Law Sets the Stage for a Clash Over Disinformation
NYT, 27 Sep 2023 04:43Z

Over 250 mysterious crop circles spotted from space across three continents
WION, 27 Sept 2023
Mysterious ring-like patterns of vegetation surround barren patches of soil
in Namibia and Australia, but no one knows why. These ring-like patterns are
called "fairy circles", which have baffled scientists for decades and left
them thinking about what exactly are they

Is the US government preparing to announce aliens? This is the Senate's
proposed UFO 'controlled disclosure plan' and how it would work
Daily Mail, 25 Sep 2023 20:23Z
The amendment would give government offices 300 days to handover UFO
evidence to a Review Board that will then analyze the ...

'Really historic' asteroid sample returned to Earth as NASA eyes the future
ABC News, 24 Sep 2023 19:55Z
A NASA space capsule carrying the largest soil samples [250 kg] ever scooped
up from the surface of an asteroid streaks through Earth's atmosphere
and parachutes into the Utah desert.

New Orleans issues emergency declaration amid possible water crisis
WPVI-TV, 24 Sep 2023 09:14Z

EXCLUSIVE - The 'alien abduction' that shocked the world: Never-before-seen
photos of injuries 'suffered by US fishermen during extra-terrestrial
experiments' are among new evidence revealed on 50th anniversary of the
Pascagoula UFO mystery
Daily Mail, 24 Sep 2023 12:25Z
Their wounds have been described as 'physical evidence', which UFO
enthusiasts say debunks sceptics' claims that it was all in the men's heads..
And now, for the first time, photographs of the injuries have been made public.

Scot who hacked top US agencies looking for evidence of UFOs slams NASA's
claim that they don't exist
The Scottish Sun, 22 Sep 2023 21:24Z
A SCOT who hacked top US agencies looking for evidence of UFOS has slammed
NASA's latest claims that aliens don't exist. Gary ...

[Incursions!]
Government's secret UFO dump: Border security quietly releases tranche of
10 videos of mysterious 'craft' whizzing around US skies - as
ex-intelligence office...
Daily Mail, 22 Sep 2023 21:22Z
US Customs and Border Patrol, the agency responsible for keeping terrorists
and weapons out of the country, uploaded 10 ...

NASA, Lockheed ready for Osiris-REx and asteroid sample returned from space
Denver Business Journal, 22 Sep 2023 21:42Z
The Colorado-built and flown space probe returns with what's hoped to be the
largest extra-terrestrial sample brought from beyond the moon.
[The mission is aiming to help prevent a future collision with
near-earth asteroid Bennu some models predict will happen around this
time in 2182].

the hunt for planet 9 goes south -- outer solar system may be happy hunting ground for alternative gravity

<b3202aca-a758-425b-9422-ee41252365b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5808&group=alt.astronomy#5808

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: the hunt for planet 9 goes south -- outer solar system may be happy
hunting ground for alternative gravity
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:44 UTC

While I've always been a fan of alternative gravity theories in the nanogravity range -- think of them as creeping up on a fell-blown theory of quantum gravity -- it seems the Hunt For Planet Nine has taken a strange turn.

With several groups confirming the orbits of a bunch of high-inclination asteroids in the outer solar system are consisten with the existence of a 9th planet somewhere out there (noone has the extrac address yet) it now turns out
the gravity of the grest of the milky way accumukated
over time can also explain the same observations under MOND -- a more or less standard alternative theory of gravity that switches to something other than GMm/r2 when the numbers get smaller than a very small limit.

<uf64s2$6vel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5811&group=alt.astronomy#5811

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: outer solar system may be proving ground for alternative gravity
theories
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:20:03 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:20 UTC

Kym Horsell wrote on 29/9/23 10:38 am:
> While I've long been a fan of alternative gravity theories esp in the
> nonragvity range -- think of them as creeping up on a full-blown
> theory of quantum gravity -- the hunt for Planet Nine may now be
> involved.
>
> While some groups are hunting for a theorized 9th planet in the outer
> solar system that might explain the observation of a slew of
> high-inclination orbits out there, someone has now cranked the handle
> and finds the accumulated effect of the rest of the galazy could also
> explain the observations and support a modified theory of gravity.

We DID have a ninth planet .... but then we lost it!!
--
Daniel