From: mario.petrinovic1@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Mutations, God and Picasso
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 00:30:44 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:30 UTC

Now, somebody says that beaks are the product of mutation. But, don't
you notice that this "mutation" is just at the right place for the
purpose? For example, why would we have a mutation that places beak
right at the center of the face, why not 1 cm to the left, or 1 cm to
the right? Why we don't have a mutation that places beak on the ass, or
on the right elbow? So, this implies that we had a lot of wrong
mutations until finally one didn't come up just at the right place, I
mean right to the millimeter. Or, for example, before beak we had a
mutation that grew a trunk, or something else. Why don't we have human
babies born with beaks on their asses? Actually, mutations can produce
anything, why we don't have babies born with plastic bottle of Coca-Cola
coming from their asses.
I mean, per this theory we all would look like Picasso's paintings.
Only God can place everything just at the right spot. So, now we have
millions of people looking like Picasso's paintings, and by accident one
was born looking like Brad Pitt. Do you think that this guy would
survive? Not a chance, the rest of us will be jealous and kill him.
This theory is stupid as hell, but it is easy to be used, if you don't
know why something happens, then it is climate, or a mutation. A lot of
animals went extinct, why? Ah, it's easy, it is because of climate. Lol.
Nobody can say anything against it. Or, when some new animal emerges,
why? Ah, it is easy, it is a mutation. My god, a kindergarten level.

Re: Mutations, God and Picasso

<rqCdna_2JcKfxXz5nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5810&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5810

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:02:10 -0700
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Subject: Re: Mutations, God and Picasso
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
 by: John Harshman - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 00:02 UTC

On 8/19/23 3:30 PM, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>         Now, somebody says that beaks are the product of mutation. But,
> don't you notice that this "mutation" is just at the right place for the
> purpose? For example, why would we have a mutation that places beak
> right at the center of the face, why not 1 cm to the left, or 1 cm to
> the right?

Because bilaterians have right-left symmetry in development.

> Why we don't have a mutation that places beak on the ass, or
> on the right elbow?

Because in such a case it wouldn't be a beak.

> So, this implies that we had a lot of wrong
> mutations until finally one didn't come up just at the right place, I
> mean right to the millimeter. Or, for example, before beak we had a
> mutation that grew a trunk, or something else. Why don't we have human
> babies born with beaks on their asses? Actually, mutations can produce
> anything, why we don't have babies born with plastic bottle of Coca-Cola
> coming from their asses.
>         I mean, per this theory we all would look like Picasso's
> paintings. Only God can place everything just at the right spot. So, now
> we have millions of people looking like Picasso's paintings, and by
> accident one was born looking like Brad Pitt. Do you think that this guy
> would survive? Not a chance, the rest of us will be jealous and kill him.
>         This theory is stupid as hell, but it is easy to be used, if
> you don't know why something happens, then it is climate, or a mutation.
> A lot of animals went extinct, why? Ah, it's easy, it is because of
> climate. Lol. Nobody can say anything against it. Or, when some new
> animal emerges, why? Ah, it is easy, it is a mutation. My god, a
> kindergarten level.

What emerges from this nonsense is that you have no idea what mutations
are, what causes them, or what sorts happen. Do you understand that we
can study the mutational history of taxa by examining their genomes and
those of related species? I suggest that you start learning something
about molecular genetics and evolutionary biology. Some basic college
texts would be useful. Futuyma's Evolution is a start.

Re: Mutations, God and Picasso

<ubrmlq$2jo$3@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5813&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5813

From: mario.petrinovic1@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 02:27:37 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 00:27 UTC

On 20.8.2023. 2:02, John Harshman wrote:
> On 8/19/23 3:30 PM, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>>          Now, somebody says that beaks are the product of mutation.
>> But, don't you notice that this "mutation" is just at the right place
>> for the purpose? For example, why would we have a mutation that places
>> beak right at the center of the face, why not 1 cm to the left, or 1
>> cm to the right?
>
> Because bilaterians have right-left symmetry in development.
>
>> Why we don't have a mutation that places beak on the ass, or on the
>> right elbow?
>
> Because in such a case it wouldn't be a beak.
>
>> So, this implies that we had a lot of wrong mutations until finally
>> one didn't come up just at the right place, I mean right to the
>> millimeter. Or, for example, before beak we had a mutation that grew a
>> trunk, or something else. Why don't we have human babies born with
>> beaks on their asses? Actually, mutations can produce anything, why we
>> don't have babies born with plastic bottle of Coca-Cola coming from
>> their asses.
>>          I mean, per this theory we all would look like Picasso's
>> paintings. Only God can place everything just at the right spot. So,
>> now we have millions of people looking like Picasso's paintings, and
>> by accident one was born looking like Brad Pitt. Do you think that
>> this guy would survive? Not a chance, the rest of us will be jealous
>> and kill him.
>>          This theory is stupid as hell, but it is easy to be used, if
>> you don't know why something happens, then it is climate, or a
>> mutation. A lot of animals went extinct, why? Ah, it's easy, it is
>> because of climate. Lol. Nobody can say anything against it. Or, when
>> some new animal emerges, why? Ah, it is easy, it is a mutation. My
>> god, a kindergarten level.
>
> What emerges from this nonsense is that you have no idea what mutations
> are, what causes them, or what sorts happen. Do you understand that we
> can study the mutational history of taxa by examining their genomes and
> those of related species? I suggest that you start learning something
> about molecular genetics and evolutionary biology. Some basic college
> texts would be useful. Futuyma's Evolution is a start.

Hm, you, who don't understand anything read something in some book. So
typical.