From: J@M (D)
Subject: Re: Looming Groupocalypse : The Google Groupsspaggheddon Cometh!
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:17:08 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
 by: D - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:38:43 -0600, SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:
> [...]
> unleashed on the other Usenet service providers, especially
> the free providers. A swarm of new signups is expected. Some
> free Usenet providers are already dealing with a spike in
> new registrations.
> That cutoff date is February 22, 2024. After that time the
> Google users will no longer be able to access Usenet content.
> In Eternal September time the cutoff date will be the 11131st
> day of September, 1993.
> Since many Google users are clueless, some likely won't
> realize their Usenet access is sunset until the moment it is
> cut off. Then there is potential for a search panic as they
> try to discover why they cannot access Usenet groups via
> Google Groups. It has been jokingly called the Google Groups
> Apocalypse or the Google Groups Armageddon. Some users post
> Usenet articles counting down the days to the cutoff date.
> Some wordplay gives silly effect to these phrases:
> groupocalypse ==> group + apocalypse
> goopocalypse ==> google + apocalypse
> groupsspagheddon ==> groups + spaghetti + armageddon
> So now this ditty might make sense:
> The 'groupocalypse' looms.
> Google 'groupsspaggheddon' cometh.
> There shall be zoomer weeping,
> Karen wailing,
> and boomer gnashing of dentures.
> This is a spoof on verses from the books of Matthew and
> Revelation:
> "As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire;
> so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man
> shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of
> his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do
> iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there
> shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
> "The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her,
> shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping
> and wailing ..."
> "Weeping and wailing" becomes: "Zoomer weeping, Karen
> wailing ..."
> "Gnashing of teeth" becomes: "Boomer gnashing of dentures."
> I suppose that the "merchants" could spoof for spammers. Yet
> I doubt any spammers were, "made rich by her."
> Since it is the end of yet another era for Usenet, it is
> 'apocalyptic' in a lampoon way, like the end of the Usenet
> world when the month of Eternal September began. It is a
> comical, cosmological holy day, an 'apocalypse' for which we
> know the exact date of its coming. It is bombastic burlesque,
> a rampant style of humor that runs riot on Usenet.
> The impending cessation of Google Usenet peering may cause a
> chaotic scramble to find Usenet access. Or it may go hardly
> noticed, an anti-apocalyptic whimper in the night. The Google
> Groupocalypse might signal a great shift, or it may mererly
> result in less spam. That is a change I can live with.
> Whether February 22, 2024 comes in like a lion or a lamb, that
> day will always be September 11131, 1993. And one thing is
> sure: If September is eternal, then Usenet is eternal, too.

excellent! (seems deja was acquired by google in 2001)
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=deja+12+february+2001+google

Re: Looming Groupocalypse : The Google Groupsspaggheddon Cometh!

<unmuqm$76n$2@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5901&group=alt.astronomy#5901

From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:31:18 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: R Kym Horsell <kym@otaku.sdf.org>
sha1:tWtvWkUo9Ga3EysNoHZRx9XgXUk= sha256:KZztTs+yW2aushzIibDaTwEsXp7nmy5ea9OsNnzXaGo=
 by: R Kym Horsell - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:31 UTC

D <J@m> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:38:43 -0600, SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:
> excellent! (seems deja was acquired by google in 2001)
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=deja+12+february+2001+google

In the words of a sometime poster to this newsgroup:

THEY CAIN GITS HERE FROM THERE! IT'S TOO FAR!! E=MC2!!!

--
Subject: 1350+ Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skeptic Arguments Against
ACC/AGW Alarm

The inclusion of a paper in this list does not imply a specific personal
position to any of the authors. [...] This is [...] not a list of skeptics.
-- poptart, 24 Feb 2014