From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Drought Reveals 113-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Tracks in Texas
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:51:13 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:51 UTC

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/drought-reveals-113-million-year-old-dinosaur-tracks-in-texas-180982829/

Drought has dried up part of a river in central Texas, revealing
113-million-year-old dinosaur tracks.

The prehistoric footprints emerged at Dinosaur Valley State Park, which
is located in the town of Glen Rose, southwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth
area.

As the name suggests, the park already protects other dinosaur
footprints. But the tracks that recently emerged are usually hidden
under the mud, silt and waters of the Paluxy River. This summer,
however, water levels have dipped so low that the prehistoric
indentations are now visible. So far, volunteers have counted 75 newly
exposed footprints in the parched riverbed.

“It has been another very hot, very dry year, so our researchers are
trying to take advantage of the drought,” says park superintendent Jeff
Davis to the Dallas Morning News’ Sarah Bahari.

Two different types of dinosaurs likely made the footprints, according
to park officials. One was Acrocanthosaurus, a 15-foot-tall carnivore
that weighed approximately 14,000 pounds. As the gargantuan reptile
walked around the area on two legs, it left behind the outline of its
three-toed feet. The other was Sauroposeidon proteles, which has been
the official state dinosaur of Texas since 2009. This long-necked
behemoth may have measured up to 100 feet long and weighed closer to
88,000 pounds. It left behind larger, bulbous-shaped tracks that are
similar to elephant footprints.

One footprint appears to be a “double track”—an example of two
overlapping Acrocanthosaurus tracks, as Davis tells KSAT’s Mary Claire
Patton. (Or, as the nonprofit Friends of Dinosaur Valley State Park
joked on Facebook, a “huge 6 toed clawed prehistoric monster track.”)

Re: Drought Reveals 113-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Tracks in Texas

<Ie-dnQDVaOY48Wz5nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=5912&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5912

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:46:29 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 04:46 UTC

On 8/31/23 5:51 PM, Popping Mad wrote:
> https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/drought-reveals-113-million-year-old-dinosaur-tracks-in-texas-180982829/
>
> Drought has dried up part of a river in central Texas, revealing
> 113-million-year-old dinosaur tracks.
>
> The prehistoric footprints emerged at Dinosaur Valley State Park, which
> is located in the town of Glen Rose, southwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth
> area.
>
> As the name suggests, the park already protects other dinosaur
> footprints. But the tracks that recently emerged are usually hidden
> under the mud, silt and waters of the Paluxy River. This summer,
> however, water levels have dipped so low that the prehistoric
> indentations are now visible. So far, volunteers have counted 75 newly
> exposed footprints in the parched riverbed.
>
> “It has been another very hot, very dry year, so our researchers are
> trying to take advantage of the drought,” says park superintendent Jeff
> Davis to the Dallas Morning News’ Sarah Bahari.
>
> Two different types of dinosaurs likely made the footprints, according
> to park officials. One was Acrocanthosaurus, a 15-foot-tall carnivore
> that weighed approximately 14,000 pounds. As the gargantuan reptile
> walked around the area on two legs, it left behind the outline of its
> three-toed feet. The other was Sauroposeidon proteles, which has been
> the official state dinosaur of Texas since 2009. This long-necked
> behemoth may have measured up to 100 feet long and weighed closer to
> 88,000 pounds. It left behind larger, bulbous-shaped tracks that are
> similar to elephant footprints.
>
> One footprint appears to be a “double track”—an example of two
> overlapping Acrocanthosaurus tracks, as Davis tells KSAT’s Mary Claire
> Patton. (Or, as the nonprofit Friends of Dinosaur Valley State Park
> joked on Facebook, a “huge 6 toed clawed prehistoric monster track.”)

This is the spot where creationists have historically found most of
their Mesozoic human footprints.