From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 04:46:55 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 08:46 UTC

Abstract
Evolutionary computation is inspired by the mechanisms of biological
evolution. With algorithmic improvements and increasing computing
resources, evolutionary computation has discovered creative and
innovative solutions to challenging practical problems. This paper
evaluates how today’s evolutionary computation compares to biological
evolution and how it may fall short. A small number of well-accepted
characteristics of biological evolution are considered: openendedness,
major transitions in organizational structure, neutrality and genetic
drift, multi-objectivity, complex genotype-to-phenotype mappings and
co-evolution. Evolutionary computation exhibits many of these to some
extent but more can be achieved by scaling up with available computing
and by emulating biology more carefully. In particular, evolutionary
computation diverges from biological evolution in three key respects: it
is based on small populations and strong selection; it typically uses
direct genotype-to-phenotype mappings; and it does not achieve major
organizational transitions. These shortcomings suggest a roadmap for
future evolutionary computation research, and point to gaps in our
understanding of how biology discovers major transitions. Advances in
these areas can lead to evolutionary computation that approaches the
complexity and flexibility of biology, and can serve as an executable
model of biological processes.

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<ZYKdne4KTeZVZ6r5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6058&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6058

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 05:51:20 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:51 UTC

On 4/13/23 1:46 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s42256-020-00278-8
>
> Abstract
> Evolutionary computation is inspired by the mechanisms of biological
> evolution. With algorithmic improvements and increasing computing
> resources, evolutionary computation has discovered creative and
> innovative solutions to challenging practical problems. This paper
> evaluates how today’s evolutionary computation compares to biological
> evolution and how it may fall short. A small number of well-accepted
> characteristics of biological evolution are considered: openendedness,
> major transitions in organizational structure, neutrality and genetic
> drift, multi-objectivity, complex genotype-to-phenotype mappings and
> co-evolution. Evolutionary computation exhibits many of these to some
> extent but more can be achieved by scaling up with available computing
> and by emulating biology more carefully. In particular, evolutionary
> computation diverges from biological evolution in three key respects: it
> is based on small populations and strong selection; it typically uses
> direct genotype-to-phenotype mappings; and it does not achieve major
> organizational transitions. These shortcomings suggest a roadmap for
> future evolutionary computation research, and point to gaps in our
> understanding of how biology discovers major transitions. Advances in
> these areas can lead to evolutionary computation that approaches the
> complexity and flexibility of biology, and can serve as an executable
> model of biological processes.

This does not seem very relevant to paleontology or even to systematics.

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<u1ahm3$5si$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6060&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6060

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:35:21 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:35 UTC

On 4/13/23 08:51, John Harshman wrote:
> This does not seem very relevant to paleontology or even to systematics.

You have a bit to learn. There is no such thing as systematics. There
is only computational biology and biologial statistics.

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<GqGcnboZBviQ0qT5nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6061&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6061

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:03:08 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:03 UTC

On 4/13/23 8:35 PM, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 4/13/23 08:51, John Harshman wrote:
>> This does not seem very relevant to paleontology or even to systematics.
>

> You have a bit to learn. There is no such thing as systematics. There
> is only computational biology and biologial statistics.

!

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<u1bu9a$44h$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6062&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6062

From: mrbrklyn@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:16:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:16 UTC

John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/23 8:35 PM, Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 4/13/23 08:51, John Harshman wrote:
>>> This does not seem very relevant to paleontology or even to systematics.
>>

>> You have a bit to learn. There is no such thing as systematics. There
>> is only computational biology and biologial statistics.
>
> !

Don't be suprised. I don't know what this resistence is in the Paleo
community to hard math and Balesyain statistics.

All evolutionary theory can be reduced to mathmatical alorithms with
maps. I sort of giggled when I read current commentary on AI
applications. There is a failure to understand what AI does and where
the current state of the art is.

The future of Paleo is just like it is for the rest of Biology, it is
computational mathmatics. The same allgorthism used to describe
econological problems and microbiology are also applicable to
evolutionary problems and Paleontology.

This is especially true as most geneitics is available.

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<wNSdnbMr5PSYV6T5nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6064&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6064

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:47:49 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 21:47 UTC

On 4/14/23 9:16 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> You have a bit to learn. There is no such thing as systematics. There
>>> is only computational biology and biologial statistics.
>>
>> !
>

> Don't be suprised. I don't know what this resistence is in the Paleo
> community to hard math and Balesyain statistics.

There is no such resistance. But your citation isn't relevant to
paleontology. (I'm assuming you mean "Bayesian"?)

> All evolutionary theory can be reduced to mathmatical alorithms with
> maps. I sort of giggled when I read current commentary on AI
> applications. There is a failure to understand what AI does and where
> the current state of the art is.
>
> The future of Paleo is just like it is for the rest of Biology, it is
> computational mathmatics. The same allgorthism used to describe
> econological problems and microbiology are also applicable to
> evolutionary problems and Paleontology.
>
> This is especially true as most geneitics is available.

??

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<u1cmh5$nt9$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6065&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6065

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 19:10:20 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 23:10 UTC

On 4/14/23 17:47, John Harshman wrote:

> There is no such resistance. But your citation isn't relevant to
> paleontology.

OK perhaps I made an error

Re: A biological perspective on evolutionary computation

<eKOdnfoIVsqRO6f5nZ2dnZfqlJ_-fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6066&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6066

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 06:26:36 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 13:26 UTC

On 4/14/23 4:10 PM, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 4/14/23 17:47, John Harshman wrote:
>>
>> There is no such resistance. But your citation isn't relevant to
>> paleontology.
>

> OK perhaps I made an error

!!