"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

SubjectAuthor
* Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsianSight Reader
`* OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression foundKerr-Mudd, John
 `* OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impressionSight Reader
  +- OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impressionSight Reader
  `* OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impressionKerr-Mudd, John
   +* OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impressionSight Reader
   |`- OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal c*Hemidactylus*
   `- OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin*Hemidactylus*

1
Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<1828f087-1b67-41c1-9749-b52951398645n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6283&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6283

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:56:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian
(Hebei, China)
From: thesightreader@gmail.com (Sight Reader)
 by: Sight Reader - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 02:56 UTC

On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 3:07:59 PM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 12:31:59 PM UTC-8, Sight Reader wrote:

> > > Just how important these discoveries are will only be know after publication somewhere other the Global Times (or any other pop press). Still, bravo for contributing something to keep our heads above the flood of sewage we've been getting.
> > Precisely my intent. I don’t know who runs this thing, but clearly Captcha needs to go back to recognizing traffic lights and motorcycles…
> Nobody's running it. But no motorcycles, stairs, lights, etc. if Captcha takes our word for it, fine.

Well, I was thinking a stricter Captcha might cut down on some of this spam..

OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<20231205104900.8218fdc7f764c7cb74220124@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6284&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6284

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found
with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 10:49:00 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 10:49 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:56:03 -0800 (PST)
Sight Reader <thesightreader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 3:07:59 PM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> > On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 12:31:59 PM UTC-8, Sight Reader wrote:
> > > On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 9:23:14 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
[actual content]
> > > Precisely my intent. I don’t know who runs this thing, but clearly Captcha needs to go back to recognizing traffic lights and motorcycles…
> > Nobody's running it. But no motorcycles, stairs, lights, etc. if Captcha takes our word for it, fine.
>
> Well, I was thinking a stricter Captcha might cut down on some of this spam.

A filter is useful; or a proper newsreader.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<1393ac54-6baa-47f1-8df4-71c3b3287e59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6289&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6289

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:00:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression
found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
From: thesightreader@gmail.com (Sight Reader)
 by: Sight Reader - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

On Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 9:09:41 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 2:49:03 AM UTC-8, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:56:03 -0800 (PST)
> > Sight Reader <thesigh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [actual content]
> > >
> > > Well, I was thinking a stricter Captcha might cut down on some of this spam.
> > A filter is useful; or a proper newsreader.
> >
> > --
> > Bah, and indeed Humbug.
> I've fiddled with "proper" news readers (like Eternal September), but each that I've seen
> had their own problems. Have any suggestions? (I won't pay for any of them.)
Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam” shows up as an option.

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<b11dacaa-7222-4ac2-9d5c-c5b087364e12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6291&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6291

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 15:05:58 -0800 (PST)
found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
From: thesightreader@gmail.com (Sight Reader)
 by: Sight Reader - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:05 UTC

On Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at 3:35:37 PM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at 1:00:34 PM UTC-8, Sight Reader wrote:

> > > I've fiddled with "proper" news readers (like Eternal September), but each that I've seen
> > > had their own problems. Have any suggestions? (I won't pay for any of them.)
> > Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam” shows up as an option.
> Maybe Safari is the difference. Firefox doesn't offer me that option.
Maybe it’s some sort of Google Groups option?

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<20231207102913.c024aef3a0a763f9b378aa05@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6295&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6295

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:29:13 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:29 UTC

On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:00:32 -0800 (PST)
Sight Reader <thesightreader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 9:09:41 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 2:49:03 AM UTC-8, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > > [actual content]

> > > A filter is useful; or a proper newsreader.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bah, and indeed Humbug.
> > I've fiddled with "proper" news readers (like Eternal September), but each that I've seen
> > had their own problems. Have any suggestions? (I won't pay for any of them.)
> Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam” shows up as an option.

Google are extremely reluctant to do *anything* about those spam reports.

(Messed up formatting left in to show that a proper Newsreader would help)

P.S. E-S provides a usenet feed, you didn't mention which Newsreader you
tried.
I've used several NRs - if you look at my headers I'm currently using
Sylpheed under XP. Other posters might suggest one more closely aligned
with your platform.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<355215d6-2e24-4eb0-99e2-5e671d480882n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6298&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6298

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 06:41:14 -0800 (PST)
found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
From: thesightreader@gmail.com (Sight Reader)
 by: Sight Reader - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:41 UTC

On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 4:32:45 AM UTC-7, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:00:32 -0800 (PST)
> Sight Reader <thesigh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I've fiddled with "proper" news readers (like Eternal September), but each that I've seen
> > > had their own problems. Have any suggestions? (I won't pay for any of them.)
> > Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam” shows up as an option.
> Google are extremely reluctant to do *anything* about those spam reports.
>
> (Messed up formatting left in to show that a proper Newsreader would help)
>
> P.S. E-S provides a usenet feed, you didn't mention which Newsreader you
> tried.
> I've used several NRs - if you look at my headers I'm currently using
> Sylpheed under XP. Other posters might suggest one more closely aligned
> with your platform.
> --
> Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Dang. I have no clue what newsreader I’m using. I am using Safari, and the top it says Google Groups… maybe that’s what’s responsible for the “stop sign” interface?

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<pJCdnYXArKXRbOv4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6305&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6305

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
References: <316b9941-5500-4d2a-b7f1-9d5d88730971n@googlegroups.com> <073f1b11-2e77-4c0b-aa5e-368a4f6df52fn@googlegroups.com> <34e0719c-c1a5-4d93-970c-c527151eb5c9n@googlegroups.com> <57e42935-e7d5-46f8-a627-36ef8361d80an@googlegroups.com> <1828f087-1b67-41c1-9749-b52951398645n@googlegroups.com> <20231205104900.8218fdc7f764c7cb74220124@127.0.0.1> <202e8147-dd69-4eab-910d-bbbfda7f9c7en@googlegroups.com> <1393ac54-6baa-47f1-8df4-71c3b3287e59n@googlegroups.com> <20231207102913.c024aef3a0a763f9b378aa05@127.0.0.1> <355215d6-2e24-4eb0-99e2-5e671d480882n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:23:56 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:23 UTC

Sight Reader <thesightreader@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 4:32:45 AM UTC-7, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:00:32 -0800 (PST)
>> Sight Reader <thesigh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I
>>> get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select
>>> all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam”
>>> shows up as an option.
>> Google are extremely reluctant to do *anything* about those spam reports.
>>
>> (Messed up formatting left in to show that a proper Newsreader would help)
>>
>> P.S. E-S provides a usenet feed, you didn't mention which Newsreader you
>> tried.
>> I've used several NRs - if you look at my headers I'm currently using
>> Sylpheed under XP. Other posters might suggest one more closely aligned
>> with your platform.
>> --
>> Bah, and indeed Humbug.
> Dang. I have no clue what newsreader I’m using. I am using Safari, and
> the top it says Google Groups… maybe that’s what’s responsible for the
> “stop sign” interface?

Google Groups is a web-based interface that substitutes for the traditional
reader-server setup. A newsreader instead is a piece of software you
install on your PC or device. It’s kinda like an email client. You use this
program to access a news server. These vary. Some are free. Others you pay
per time period. You subscribe to the server provider and plug in pieces of
information about that server into your newsreader to set it up. If you get
to this point make sure you use the available SSL port designation: 443 or
563.

Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)

<-7acndr4BI1WlOr4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6306&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6306

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: OT chat about spam (was: Re: Stegosaurid with skin
impression found with basal ceratopsian (Hebei, China)
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:08:27 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:08 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:00:32 -0800 (PST)
> Sight Reader <thesightreader@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've fiddled with "proper" news readers (like Eternal September), but
>>> each that I've seen
>>> had their own problems. Have any suggestions?
>>> (I won't pay for any of them.)
>> Hmm. I dunno. I’m on “groups.google.com” on an iPad Safari browser. I
>> get a little stop sign with an exclaimation point in it: I just select
>> all the offending messages, click on the stop sign, and “mark as spam”
>> shows up as an option.
>
> Google are extremely reluctant to do *anything* about those spam reports.
>
> (Messed up formatting left in to show that a proper Newsreader would help)
>
> P.S. E-S provides a usenet feed, you didn't mention which Newsreader you
> tried.
> I've used several NRs - if you look at my headers I'm currently using
> Sylpheed under XP. Other posters might suggest one more closely aligned
> with your platform.

Anyone using iPads or iPhones can use NewsTap. It has limitations as
implementing a semblance of a killfilter has drawbacks, but it works ok
overall. I don’t know how line length complies.