Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through
Florida Home
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:10:57 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:10 UTC

from
https://gizmodo.com/iss-battery-pallet-fragment-hit-florida-home-1851381481

Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through
Florida Home
NASA is investigating the incident to determine if its recent disposal
of a gigantic pallet of old batteries is to blame for the damage.
By
Passant Rabie
PublishedYesterday
Comments (13)
The cargo pallet after being tossed by the by the Canadarm2 robotic arm
in 2021.

Three years ago, NASA tossed a massive pallet of old batteries from the
International Space Station (ISS), hoping that it would burn up through
Earth’s atmosphere. A few weeks ago, the space station’s trash finally
did reenter through the atmosphere, but a piece of it may have survived
and smashed through a house in Florida.

On March 8, a two-pound cylindrical-shaped object crashed through the
roof of a family home in Naples, Florida, creating a hole in the ceiling
and the floor. The incident coincided with the reentry of the ISS
pallet, which plummeted through the atmosphere on the same day over the
Gulf of Mexico, ultimately heading toward southwest Florida.

“I was shaking. I was completely in disbelief. What are the chances of
something landing on my house with such force to cause so much damage,”
Alejandro Otero, the owner of the house, told Wink News. “I’m super
grateful that nobody got hurt.” Otero reached out to NASA and began
eliciting the help of others online to help him trace the origins of the
object from the sky.

Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist who has looked at the data of
thousands of atmospheric reentries, including the ISS pallet, was
contacted by Otero. “Often we get reentries like this and someone from
several-hundred miles away saying, ‘I found this weird thing in my
backyard that may have fallen today or may have been there for a week,’
and I roll my eyes and move on,” McDowell told Gizmodo. “But this came
through the roof, and it came through the roof at the right time in a
place that was consistent with it being [a piece of the pallet] so that
was promising enough to follow up on.”

McDowell helped Otero get in touch with the Aerospace Corporation, a
non-profit research and development center. Afterwards, NASA collected
the debris from Otero and is currently analyzing it to determine its
origin. The time and location is consistent with the space station’s
pallet of old batteries, but its origin and nature have yet to be confirmed.

In March 2021, a 2.9-ton pallet containing nine batteries was tossed
into space by the ISS’s Canadarm2 robotic arm, where it slowly spiraled
towards Earth ahead of an uncontrolled reentry. The pallet is the
largest object ever thrown out from the ISS, but NASA had hoped that the
entire thing would burn up upon reentry or that at least the debris
would not hit inhabited areas.

McDowell, however, expressed concern over the large piece of space junk
at the time it was thrown out, arguing that it was too large for an
uncontrolled reentry. “NASA was rolling the dice...and they made an
unlucky throw,” he said.

The uncontrolled disposal of an object this large is not routine. The
old batteries were supposed to be placed inside a Japanese HTV cargo
ship for proper disposal. However, a backlog forced NASA to simply toss
the batteries inside a cargo pallet using the space station’s robotic
arm, which led to the uncontrolled reentry.

The European Space Agency (ESA) was also monitoring the pallet’s reentry
and estimated that some parts may reach the ground but that the
likelihood of a person being hit were very low.

“This is like a small piece of either the pallet or the batteries, or a
piece of the battery structure,” McDowell added. “So you had two-ton
thing that reentered the atmosphere and this is some small fragment of
it that survived and went through this poor guy’s house.” Or at least,
that seems to be the story.

It’s not clear what would happen if it was proven that the
cylinder-shaped object did in fact come from the ISS, and which
organization would be responsible for compensating the family in
Florida. In fact, there isn’t even a proper procedure for civilians to
report these types of incidents. In this case, it took a vocal home
owner to get someone’s attention online, but that may not always be the
case.

------------------
Tommy
Passant Rabie
4/02/24 1:40pm
Oddly I think my home owners policy has an exemption for space debris
(and Nuclear weapons) from coverage.
I hope NASA (or someone) steps up quickly to get these people in a
repaired home ASAP.

ssguitarhero
Tommy
4/02/24 3:15pm
It sounds like it’ll be a pain, but home repair doesn’t sound like it
would take that big a chunk out of the budget for some roof and floor
work. They got lucky that no one was killed here, that would have been a
MUCH bigger problem.

Re: Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through Florida Home

<uukcfj$4dt1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6321&group=alt.astronomy#6321

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through Florida Home
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:59:16 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 19:59 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:mcfPN.507397$vFZa.354632@fx13.iad...

from
https://gizmodo.com/iss-battery-pallet-fragment-hit-florida-home-1851381481

Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through
Florida Home
------------------
\https://aerospace.org/reentries

Re: Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through Florida Home

<uukse0$1ee7$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6322&group=alt.astronomy#6322

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: kymhorsell@gmail.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,rec.aviation.military
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 00:32:00 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: R Kym Horsell <kym@ryo.sdf.org>
 by: R Kym Horsell - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 00:32 UTC

In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> from
> https://gizmodo.com/iss-battery-pallet-fragment-hit-florida-home-1851381481
>
> Possible Fragment From ISS Battery Pallet May Have Crashed Through
> Florida Home
> NASA is investigating the incident to determine if its recent disposal
> of a gigantic pallet of old batteries is to blame for the damage.
> By
> Passant Rabie
> PublishedYesterday
> Comments (13)
> The cargo pallet after being tossed by the by the Canadarm2 robotic arm
> in 2021.
>
> Three years ago, NASA tossed a massive pallet of old batteries from the
> International Space Station (ISS), hoping that it would burn up through
> Earth???s atmosphere. A few weeks ago, the space station???s trash finally
> did reenter through the atmosphere, but a piece of it may have survived
> and smashed through a house in Florida.

Interesting this was the largest "load" the ISS has dumped and
it seems to have resulted in property damage.
We looked before at how even small meteors dont necessarily burn up
on reentry with biochemical samples in the interior of some being
viable when the rock is retrieved.
As people are now starting to argue, it's maybe simplistic to
think any garbage you de-orbit will go to the incinerator in the sky.

--
Age (mn y) atm CO2 ext rate model-est
(rel now) %genera ext rate
-10 1.17933 2.06767 1.16133
-15 1.30199 2.29323 2.00115
-27 1.46844 5.58271 3.14078
-35 1.75146 8.35734 5.07853
-47 1.92988 7.98761 6.30012
-110 2.04695 3.54135 7.10166
-94 2.19502 8.88502 8.11545
-119 2.39967 10.4165 9.51662
-150 2.63641 9.79616 11.1375
-159 2.81913 9.28572 12.3885
-162 3.04563 4.82972 13.9393*
-166 3.27991 5.91923 15.5434*
-249 3.48535 16.5902 16.9499
-253 3.64985 28.3083 18.0762*
-254 3.77971 25.5551 18.9653*

MODEL:

y = 6.84669*x + -6.91318
beta in 6.84669 +- 2.93244 90% CI
P(beta>0.000000) = 0.999413
r2 = 0.568059
calculated Spearman corr = 0.742857
Critical Spearman = 0.623000 2-sided at 1%; reject H0:not_related

I.e. for each 280 ppmv extinction rate goes up 6.8+-2.9 pct points.
Changes in level of atm CO2 in paleo record explains 57% of ext rate
variations.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Extinction_intensity.svg

Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels for the last 500 million years
Daniel H. Rothman
PNAS April 2, 2002 99 (7) 4167-4171; https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.022055499
Fig 4.