Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:26:49 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Subject: A giant stem-group chaetognath
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 05:26 UTC

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adi6678

Abstract
"Chaetognaths, with their characteristic grasping spines, are the oldest
known pelagic predators, found in the lowest Cambrian (Terreneuvian).
Here, we describe a large stem chaetognath, Timorebestia koprii gen. et
sp. nov., from the lower Cambrian Sirius Passet Lagerstätte, which
exhibits lateral and caudal fins, a distinct head region with long
antennae and a jaw apparatus similar to Amiskwia sagittiformis. Amiskwia
has previously been interpreted as a total-group chaetognathiferan, as
either a stem-chaetognath or gnathostomulid. We show that T. koprii
shares a ventral ganglion with chaetognaths to the exclusion of other
animal groups, firmly placing these fossils on the chaetognath stem. The
large size (up to 30 cm) and gut contents in T. koprii suggest that
early chaetognaths occupied a higher trophic position in pelagic food
chains than today."

When they say "giant", context is important: 2oo mm in length, 290 mm
including the antennae. It was discovered in the Sirius Passet
lagerstatte in northen Greenland. It's similar to and closely related
to Amiskwia, a familiar fossil known in the Burgess Shale.

It and others represent a stem clade sister to crown rotifers.

Re: A giant stem-group chaetognath

<ge-dnQKU66U_2wv4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6399&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6399

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:48:17 -0800
Subject: Re: A giant stem-group chaetognath
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 05:48 UTC

On 1/3/24 9:26 PM, erik simpson wrote:
> https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adi6678
>
> Abstract
> "Chaetognaths, with their characteristic grasping spines, are the oldest
> known pelagic predators, found in the lowest Cambrian (Terreneuvian).
> Here, we describe a large stem chaetognath, Timorebestia koprii gen. et
> sp. nov., from the lower Cambrian Sirius Passet Lagerstätte, which
> exhibits lateral and caudal fins, a distinct head region with long
> antennae and a jaw apparatus similar to Amiskwia sagittiformis. Amiskwia
> has previously been interpreted as a total-group chaetognathiferan, as
> either a stem-chaetognath or gnathostomulid. We show that T. koprii
> shares a ventral ganglion with chaetognaths to the exclusion of other
> animal groups, firmly placing these fossils on the chaetognath stem. The
> large size (up to 30 cm) and gut contents in T. koprii suggest that
> early chaetognaths occupied a higher trophic position in pelagic food
> chains than today."
>
> When they say "giant", context is important: 2oo mm in length, 290 mm
> including the antennae.  It was discovered in the Sirius Passet
> lagerstatte in northen Greenland.  It's similar to and closely related
> to Amiskwia, a familiar fossil known in the Burgess Shale.
>
> It and others represent a stem clade sister to crown rotifers.

For Cambrian Stage 2, 20cm is huge. This is way cool.