Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:52:07 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Subject: One of the giants of modern paleontology has died at 96.
 by: erik simpson - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 18:52 UTC

https://news.berkeley.edu/2023/05/11/james-valentine-paleontologist-who-grappled-with-the-origin-of-animal-diversity-has-died-at-96

Re: One of the giants of modern paleontology has died at 96.

<fa750b66-37cb-42e0-ae19-4ad731f19fcbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6452&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6452

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:58:01 -0800 (PST)
From: peter2nyikos@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:58 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 1:52:19 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:

> https://news.berkeley.edu/2023/05/11/james-valentine-paleontologist-who-grappled-with-the-origin-of-animal-diversity-has-died-at-96

I agree that he was a giant, especially to the degree that he influenced so many researchers.

But it is fascinating to see that his approach was that of a theoretician:

"His Ph.D. thesis was one of the last times he conducted fieldwork. The remainder of his career was mostly theoretical, as he mined the paleontology literature and museum collections to understand the origin of animal diversity."

In contrast, what is supposedly held in high regard is publication of research involving experiments
or "fieldwork." A common way of denigrating scientists is to claim that they don't "do science"
if they lack such publications.

Several scientists who are on-topic for talk.origins come to mind here.
Some called "BANDITS" are on-topic for s.b.p.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of South Carolina
https://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: One of the giants of modern paleontology has died at 96.

<TvydnasBm57wgy74nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6453&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6453

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:52:29 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:52 UTC

On 1/25/24 4:58 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 1:52:19 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
>
>> https://news.berkeley.edu/2023/05/11/james-valentine-paleontologist-who-grappled-with-the-origin-of-animal-diversity-has-died-at-96
>
> I agree that he was a giant, especially to the degree that he influenced so many researchers.
>
> But it is fascinating to see that his approach was that of a theoretician:
>
> "His Ph.D. thesis was one of the last times he conducted fieldwork. The remainder of his career was mostly theoretical, as he mined the paleontology literature and museum collections to understand the origin of animal diversity."
>

> In contrast, what is supposedly held in high regard is publication of research involving experiments
> or "fieldwork." A common way of denigrating scientists is to claim that they don't "do science"
> if they lack such publications.
>
> Several scientists who are on-topic for talk.origins come to mind here.
> Some called "BANDITS" are on-topic for s.b.p.

They are not, however, on-topic for a thread about Jim Valentine, and it
was in poor taste to use the opportunity to deflect the subject.

Re: One of the giants of modern paleontology has died at 96.

<55429439-11b0-470c-82c5-63996a46693d@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6454&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6454

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:08:37 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:08 UTC

On 1/25/24 4:58 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 1:52:19 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
>
>> https://news.berkeley.edu/2023/05/11/james-valentine-paleontologist-who-grappled-with-the-origin-of-animal-diversity-has-died-at-96
>
> I agree that he was a giant, especially to the degree that he influenced so many researchers.
>
> But it is fascinating to see that his approach was that of a theoretician:
>
> "His Ph.D. thesis was one of the last times he conducted fieldwork. The remainder of his career was mostly theoretical, as he mined the paleontology literature and museum collections to understand the origin of animal diversity."
>

> In contrast, what is supposedly held in high regard is publication of research involving experiments
> or "fieldwork." A common way of denigrating scientists is to claim that they don't "do science"
> if they lack such publications.
>
> Several scientists who are on-topic for talk.origins come to mind here.
> Some called "BANDITS" are on-topic for s.b.p.
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> University of South Carolina
> https://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

I've never heard of any knowledgeable person denigrate any "theoretical"
paleontologist or any other scientist for lack of field/experimental
work, let alone James valentine.

As for BANDITs, at one time a healthy skepticism was a perfectly
justifiable position. More recently, continued skepticism not so much.