Yes I have a Machintosh, please don't scream at me. -- Larry Blumette on linux-kernel

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: origins of flight

SubjectAuthor
* Re: origins of flighterik simpson
+* Re: origins of flightJohn Harshman
|`- Re: origins of flighterik simpson
`* Re: origins of flightPopping Mad
 `* Re: origins of flighterik simpson
  `- Re: origins of flightPopping Mad

1
Re: origins of flight

<1b84483a-3a99-4973-833c-9897e2f40802@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6470&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6470

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:35:46 -0800
Subject: Re: origins of flight
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
References: <tvntlhdi7ip0j100tadtrnblibi3l39e88@4ax.com> <822e7bdb-e2bd-4556-91b7-02f62c4fe607n@googlegroups.com> <8c836e83-1d86-4564-96c2-08466bbcac82n@googlegroups.com> <e7330dde-c180-4300-95e3-44c3e7331829n@googlegroups.com> <b0817161-0608-43db-8fa1-938c0c7ccd6fn@googlegroups.com> <b3cbf69d-8940-4d53-b6a3-121884dd67fcn@googlegroups.com> <b9699043-4c1e-4292-a3b6-4ad1e5170c71n@googlegroups.com> <56b48565-b899-4921-a802-e08c5e935116n@googlegroups.com> <acf6bd6e-6d07-4a77-b6b2-63dc2d28a68dn@googlegroups.com> <03a2cac3-7d84-40a8-95d4-47c1d75fc038n@googlegroups.com>
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:35 UTC

On 2/1/24 7:17 AM, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 2:57:44 PM UTC-5, Daud Deden wrote:

>>> Bipedality in mammals vs. dinosaurs evolved via very different paths and the resulting postures are not remotely similar.
>>> Requesting a "few favorable mutations" to turn a hoatzin into something resembling a brachiating lesser ape doesn't
>>> look parsimonious to me.
>> Actually I think it will be very doable, in the genetic engineering sense, maybe in 25 years if the cause were to be well funded. Not that a brachiating hoatzin would look very gibbonish, but functionally I don't foresee much difficulty. Both gibbons and hoatzins are bipedal on branches with grasping feet, both already have curved appendages, both have generally similar facial features. Hoatzins have broader fields of vision, easily corrected.
>
> Then there's "beakiation" among parrots.
> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/parrots-move-branches-beakiation-animals-physics
> Atelid spider monkeys use their prehensile tail during their pseudo-brachiation across branches, parrots use their beaks. Hoatzins could be bred for that as well, to assist forelimb arboreal locomotion.
Is this a joke? Hoatzins don't "brachiate" like gibbons because they
don't have to. Why would anyone try to breed some that could? Why not
a breeding program (well-funded, of course) to breed humans with
prehensile noses? After all, they work well for elephants. I don't see
any difficulty in principle, except perhaps finding people who would
cooperate.

Re: origins of flight

<I8GdnUMXSdZ-fyb4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6471&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6471

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:28:51 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
<1b84483a-3a99-4973-833c-9897e2f40802@gmail.com>
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: origins of flight

<9eebaf7e-eaa8-4548-922e-7825873fb8a6@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6472&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6472

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:49:34 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 18:49 UTC

On 2/1/24 10:28 AM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/1/24 9:35 AM, erik simpson wrote:

>>> Then there's "beakiation" among parrots.
>>> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/parrots-move-branches-beakiation-animals-physics
>>> Atelid spider monkeys use their prehensile tail during their
>>> pseudo-brachiation across branches, parrots use their beaks. Hoatzins
>>> could be bred for that as well, to assist forelimb arboreal locomotion.
>> Is this a joke?  Hoatzins don't "brachiate" like gibbons because they
>> don't have to.  Why would anyone try to breed some that could?  Why
>> not a breeding program (well-funded, of course) to breed humans with
>> prehensile noses?  After all, they work well for elephants.  I don't
>> see any difficulty in principle, except perhaps finding people who
>> would cooperate.
>
> You might be able to interest hereditary priests of Ganesh.
I hadn't thought of that - I'll log in to GoFundMe right away.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: origins of flight

<upo4i6$sft$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6474&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6474

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:47:35 -0500
<1b84483a-3a99-4973-833c-9897e2f40802@gmail.com>
 by: Popping Mad - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:47 UTC

On 2/1/24 12:35, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/1/24 7:17 AM, Daud Deden wrote:

Why answer a 2 year old thread.

>>> Actually I think it will be very doable, in the genetic engineering
>>> sense, maybe in 25 years if the cause were to be well funded. Not
>>> that a brachiating hoatzin would look very gibbonish, but
>>> functionally I don't foresee much difficulty. Both gibbons and
>>> hoatzins are bipedal on branches with grasping feet, both already
>>> have curved appendages, both have generally similar facial features.
>>> Hoatzins have broader fields of vision, easily corrected.
>>
>> Then there's "beakiation" among parrots.
>> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/parrots-move-branches-beakiation-animals-physics
>> Atelid spider monkeys use their prehensile tail during their
>> pseudo-brachiation across branches, parrots use their beaks. Hoatzins
>> could be bred for that as well, to assist forelimb arboreal locomotion.
> Is this a joke?  Hoatzins don't "brachiate" like gibbons because they
> don't have to.  Why would anyone try to breed some that could?  Why not
> a breeding program (well-funded, of course) to breed humans with
> prehensile noses?  After all, they work well for elephants.  I don't see
> any difficulty in principle, except perhaps finding people who would
> cooperate.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: origins of flight

<74ee8d3c-3327-4062-a04a-37c5f45dc5ed@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6481&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6481

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:43:56 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
References: <tvntlhdi7ip0j100tadtrnblibi3l39e88@4ax.com> <822e7bdb-e2bd-4556-91b7-02f62c4fe607n@googlegroups.com> <8c836e83-1d86-4564-96c2-08466bbcac82n@googlegroups.com> <e7330dde-c180-4300-95e3-44c3e7331829n@googlegroups.com> <b0817161-0608-43db-8fa1-938c0c7ccd6fn@googlegroups.com> <b3cbf69d-8940-4d53-b6a3-121884dd67fcn@googlegroups.com> <b9699043-4c1e-4292-a3b6-4ad1e5170c71n@googlegroups.com> <56b48565-b899-4921-a802-e08c5e935116n@googlegroups.com> <acf6bd6e-6d07-4a77-b6b2-63dc2d28a68dn@googlegroups.com> <03a2cac3-7d84-40a8-95d4-47c1d75fc038n@googlegroups.com> <1b84483a-3a99-4973-833c-9897e2f40802@gmail.com> <upo4i6$sft$2@reader1.panix.com> <a275f637-89fc-40b1-b0c4-94e193042a32n@googlegroups.com>
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:43 UTC

On 2/14/24 2:06 PM, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 8:47:52 AM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
>> Why answer a 2 year old thread.

>>> Is this a joke? Hoatzins don't "brachiate" like gibbons because they
>>> don't have to. Why would anyone try to breed some that could? Why not
>>> a breeding program (well-funded, of course) to breed humans with
>>> prehensile noses? After all, they work well for elephants. I don't see
>>> any difficulty in principle, except perhaps finding people who would
>>> cooperate.
>
> Monkey & parrot symbiosis
> https://x.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1757814956722889141?s=20
That's definitely a cute video, but I doubt the macaw will teach the
monkey how to fly.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: origins of flight

<ur0u53$j3j$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6489&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6489

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:09:31 -0500
<1b84483a-3a99-4973-833c-9897e2f40802@gmail.com>
<upo4i6$sft$2@reader1.panix.com>
<a275f637-89fc-40b1-b0c4-94e193042a32n@googlegroups.com>
<74ee8d3c-3327-4062-a04a-37c5f45dc5ed@gmail.com>
 by: Popping Mad - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 01:09 UTC

On 2/14/24 17:43, erik simpson wrote:
> That's definitely a cute video, but I doubt the macaw will teach the
> monkey how to fly.

They share 92% of their DNA ...

You should see Wicked.