"The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / the need for more woke dinosaur naming

SubjectAuthor
* the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
+* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingJohn Harshman
|`* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
| `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingJohn Harshman
|  `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
|   `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingJohn Harshman
|    `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
|     `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingjillery
|      +- Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
|      `* Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingerik simpson
|       `- Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingJohn Harshman
`- Re: the need for more woke dinosaur namingPopping Mad

1
the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<8d80dfd0-1c6f-429b-97e8-cf6e6de21758@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6490&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6490

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:01:13 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Subject: the need for more woke dinosaur naming
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:01 UTC

Do we really need to apologize for the bad thoughts of our predecessors?
The ICZN apparently will be implored to take action. At least, "The
ICZN is firmly against going back and renaming species whose names might
now be considered offensive, and would not consider banning eponyms,
says ICZN president Thomas Pape, a taxonomist at the Natural History
Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen. “We do not recommend renaming unless
there are what we would call formal nomenclatural reasons,” he adds.
This is because the organization places great importance on preserving
the ‘stability’ of names, and this could be threatened if they are
changed retrospectively, he says."

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<pbydnc331456s0v4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6491&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6491

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:12:07 -0800
Subject: Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:12 UTC

On 2/21/24 9:01 AM, erik simpson wrote:
> Do we really need to apologize for the bad thoughts of our predecessors?
> The ICZN apparently will be implored to take action.  At least, "The
> ICZN is firmly against going back and renaming species whose names might
> now be considered offensive, and would not consider banning eponyms,
> says ICZN president Thomas Pape, a taxonomist at the Natural History
> Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen. “We do not recommend renaming unless
> there are what we would call formal nomenclatural reasons,” he adds.
> This is because the organization places great importance on preserving
> the ‘stability’ of names, and this could be threatened if they are
> changed retrospectively, he says."

What is this in regard to?

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<ur5cft$n4e$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6492&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6492

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:38:46 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:38 UTC

On 2/21/24 12:01, erik simpson wrote:
> Do we really need to apologize for the bad thoughts of our predecessors? T

I have no longer any tolerance for this crap. This mindset has fucked
up my life and is destroying my city.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<56b20a19-b033-4558-ab6c-416d208f83c1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6493&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6493

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:20:07 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:20 UTC

On 2/21/24 9:12 AM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/21/24 9:01 AM, erik simpson wrote:
>> Do we really need to apologize for the bad thoughts of our
>> predecessors? The ICZN apparently will be implored to take action.  At
>> least, "The ICZN is firmly against going back and renaming species
>> whose names might now be considered offensive, and would not consider
>> banning eponyms, says ICZN president Thomas Pape, a taxonomist at the
>> Natural History Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen. “We do not recommend
>> renaming unless there are what we would call formal nomenclatural
>> reasons,” he adds. This is because the organization places great
>> importance on preserving the ‘stability’ of names, and this could be
>> threatened if they are changed retrospectively, he says."
>
> What is this in regard to?
Whoop. Forget the reference:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00388-y

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<3f-dnSaoRrQSNkv4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6494&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6494

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:03:59 -0800
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:03 UTC

On 2/21/24 10:20 AM, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/21/24 9:12 AM, John Harshman wrote:
>> On 2/21/24 9:01 AM, erik simpson wrote:
>>> Do we really need to apologize for the bad thoughts of our
>>> predecessors? The ICZN apparently will be implored to take action.
>>> At least, "The ICZN is firmly against going back and renaming species
>>> whose names might now be considered offensive, and would not consider
>>> banning eponyms, says ICZN president Thomas Pape, a taxonomist at the
>>> Natural History Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen. “We do not recommend
>>> renaming unless there are what we would call formal nomenclatural
>>> reasons,” he adds. This is because the organization places great
>>> importance on preserving the ‘stability’ of names, and this could be
>>> threatened if they are changed retrospectively, he says."
>>
>> What is this in regard to?
> Whoop.  Forget the reference:
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00388-y

Sadly, not one single specific complaint. What are the 3% of bad
dinosaur names? Nobody says. What's wrong with them? Nobody says.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<da516f1e-0472-4805-8d62-e74347ad63af@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6495&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6495

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:59:59 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:59 UTC

On 2/21/24 6:03 PM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/21/24 10:20 AM, erik simpson wrote:
>>>
>>> What is this in regard to?
>> Whoop.  Forget the reference:
>>
>> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00388-y
>
> Sadly, not one single specific complaint. What are the 3% of bad
> dinosaur names? Nobody says. What's wrong with them? Nobody says.

Not blaming anything specific leaves more possible targets. I wish
problems we have right now got more attention than problems from the past.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<G_WcnRtGC6l5VEv4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6496&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6496

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:13:24 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 04:13 UTC

On 2/21/24 6:59 PM, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/21/24 6:03 PM, John Harshman wrote:

>>> Whoop.  Forget the reference:
>>>
>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00388-y
>>
>> Sadly, not one single specific complaint. What are the 3% of bad
>> dinosaur names? Nobody says. What's wrong with them? Nobody says.
>
> Not blaming anything specific leaves more possible targets.  I wish
> problems we have right now got more attention than problems from the past.

Well, nobody is saying that any existing names should be changed, and
the ICZN doesn't allow it anyway. This is a proposal for what ought to
happen in the future.

But there's not much even about what the new rules ought to be. One
might suppose that eponyms are discouraged, and descriptive names
encouraged. But it isn't clear what beyond that is proposed.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<376bdec7-89e8-44cb-ac7f-b190b9c9af60@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6497&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6497

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:00:07 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:00 UTC

On 2/21/24 8:13 PM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/21/24 6:59 PM, erik simpson wrote:

>>> Sadly, not one single specific complaint. What are the 3% of bad
>>> dinosaur names? Nobody says. What's wrong with them? Nobody says.
>>
>> Not blaming anything specific leaves more possible targets.  I wish
>> problems we have right now got more attention than problems from the
>> past.
>
> Well, nobody is saying that any existing names should be changed, and
> the ICZN doesn't allow it anyway. This is a proposal for what ought to
> happen in the future.
>
> But there's not much even about what the new rules ought to be. One
> might suppose that eponyms are discouraged, and descriptive names
> encouraged. But it isn't clear what beyond that is proposed.

There are some suggestions: “emanating racism, sexism, named under
(neo)colonial contexts or after controversial figures”. There is an
added note that "The team’s analysis has not yet been published or
peer-reviewed."

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<0gketi9cqs99m13o2tolc534tlpngikk5n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6498&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6498

From: 69jpil69@gmail.com (jillery)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:59:41 -0500
 by: jillery - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:59 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:00:07 -0800, erik simpson
<eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/21/24 8:13 PM, John Harshman wrote:

>>> Not blaming anything specific leaves more possible targets.  I wish
>>> problems we have right now got more attention than problems from the
>>> past.
>>
>> Well, nobody is saying that any existing names should be changed, and
>> the ICZN doesn't allow it anyway. This is a proposal for what ought to
>> happen in the future.
>>
>> But there's not much even about what the new rules ought to be. One
>> might suppose that eponyms are discouraged, and descriptive names
>> encouraged. But it isn't clear what beyond that is proposed.
>
>There are some suggestions: “emanating racism, sexism, named under
>(neo)colonial contexts or after controversial figures”. There is an
>added note that "The team’s analysis has not yet been published or
>peer-reviewed."

Perhaps new rules will avoid names like "Scrotum humanum" which is the
name originally given to megalosaurus by Richard Brookes.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<a93e3ff9-cf3a-40dd-8f39-7fedf9189189@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6500&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6500

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:25:27 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:25 UTC

On 2/22/24 5:59 AM, jillery wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:00:07 -0800, erik simpson
> <eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, nobody is saying that any existing names should be changed, and
>>> the ICZN doesn't allow it anyway. This is a proposal for what ought to
>>> happen in the future.
>>>
>>> But there's not much even about what the new rules ought to be. One
>>> might suppose that eponyms are discouraged, and descriptive names
>>> encouraged. But it isn't clear what beyond that is proposed.
>>
>> There are some suggestions: “emanating racism, sexism, named under
>> (neo)colonial contexts or after controversial figures”. There is an
>> added note that "The team’s analysis has not yet been published or
>> peer-reviewed."
>

> Perhaps new rules will avoid names like "Scrotum humanum" which is the
> name originally given to megalosaurus by Richard Brookes.

That's a funny story, thanks! It wasn't given to Megalosaurus except by
accident, but it's an inappropriate name for sure.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<bf035980-2ff4-44c6-a127-db5296b2e106@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6501&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6501

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:15:44 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:15 UTC

On 2/22/24 5:59 AM, jillery wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:00:07 -0800, erik simpson
> <eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, nobody is saying that any existing names should be changed, and
>>> the ICZN doesn't allow it anyway. This is a proposal for what ought to
>>> happen in the future.
>>>
>>> But there's not much even about what the new rules ought to be. One
>>> might suppose that eponyms are discouraged, and descriptive names
>>> encouraged. But it isn't clear what beyond that is proposed.
>>
>> There are some suggestions: “emanating racism, sexism, named under
>> (neo)colonial contexts or after controversial figures”. There is an
>> added note that "The team’s analysis has not yet been published or
>> peer-reviewed."
>

> Perhaps new rules will avoid names like "Scrotum humanum" which is the
> name originally given to megalosaurus by Richard Brookes.
Funny story! The connection to Megalosaurus is pretty indirect, but
definitely an inappropriate name.

Re: the need for more woke dinosaur naming

<9P2dnTEFxPAVWkr4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6502&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6502

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:15:36 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.harshman@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:15 UTC

On 2/22/24 11:15 AM, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/22/24 5:59 AM, jillery wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:00:07 -0800, erik simpson
>> <eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There are some suggestions: “emanating racism, sexism, named under
>>> (neo)colonial contexts or after controversial figures”. There is an
>>> added note that "The team’s analysis has not yet been published or
>>> peer-reviewed."
>>

>> Perhaps new rules will avoid names like "Scrotum humanum" which is the
>> name originally given to megalosaurus by Richard Brookes.
> Funny story!  The connection to Megalosaurus is pretty indirect, but
> definitely an inappropriate name.

But not in the way the article is talking about. It's no more
inappropriate than Basilosaurus.